Chapter 2 - So now what?

Skyhigh.

 




In Guk got to know a few friends in class and immediately formed his own clique. As if the class didn't have enough cliques already but whatever. He hung out with the best looking guy in class, Yong Jae. They played ball together, studied together, anything under the sun they would have done it, together. 
Eunji got closer to In Guk after he abruptly gave her his number. She dropped him a text soon after receiving the note. 

'You're one of a kind Seo In Guk, I like your style. Let’s be good friends' 
And ever since that one message, the two texted each other every day. Their conversations were ridiculously stupid, either talking about something totally random or just spouting nonsense. It was good to have a friend like that, just a friend and nothing more. 

*Bbyong~* 
Eunji's phone alerted her of a new message. She unlocked the screen and there popped up In Guk's message. 

'Euungggg~ I think I like you' 
Eunji's mouth hung wide open, she wasn't shocked by the 'Eungg' it was her given nickname from him. It was more of the words that follow. 
'I think I like you' 
ARE YOU KIDDING ME.

In denial, Eunji texted back. 
'EYYYYY. What are you talking about ,you bastard stop playing around '
She upped the volume of her music before locking her phone. 

*Bbyong~*

'KEKE. You were shocked weren't you! I like you as a friend, a good friend in fact! Imma treat you well Jung Eunji!' 

Damn right, you'd better not like me Seo In Guk, at least not now that is. She texted back 

' What the heck Guk, you think this is a joke right bro. ' 
Eunji established bro-ships with many of her guy friends, she wanted to be comfortable with them yet know that they won't go any further than just friends and having these bro-ships helped. But one thing Eunji didn't like was how the guys would just somehow miraculously forget that she was a girl, they sometimes treated her rough and without respect, that pissed her off, real bad. There are boundaries and you don't cross them even if you guys are close friends. 

Time passed and the duo got a lot closer, Eunji even started to talk to In Guk's best bud Yong Jae who was known to be the ice prince of 3-04. Since there was a common connection between the three, Isabel somehow found her way into their friendship and the four of them became really close. They went out for movies, lunch, dinner, you name it. It was surprising how after spending all this time together neither of them had feelings for each other. Yong Jae got together with a girl from another class, 3-09. She was skinny yet athletic, the kind of girl he would like since they were both sporty people. Their relationship was however on and off for the past few months and just recently did Yong Jae decide to end it for good. He had too many things to juggle right now and a relationship just could not fit on his plate. Being the canoeing captain was one thing but the main reason to why their relationship passed as fast as a wave in the sea was because they didn’t fully understand each other, it was more of a status/ego boost for each other, knowing that they were with someone who had established some sense of status for themselves. It was actually surprising that Yong Jae consulted Eunji with regard to his relationship. He had always gone to In Guk for help, lamenting on how she always didn’t understand him and how he suffered, but obviously asking an idiot for relationship advice would get you nowhere. Eunji was the only one that advised Yong Jae to break it off, she didn’t want to see him suffer anymore, he didn’t need to at such an age. Anyways, it was a typical day at school, Eunji was seated at her desk tackling math again while Isabel looked through her daily ‘mail’ of fan letters and gifts. In Guk pulled his chair next to Eunji’s, took out his math book and began his battle with math. As the two did their work in silence, Eunji could feel In Guk grow with irritation, how he just stared at the question without a clue of how to start on it. She pulled off her earphones, grabbed his notebook, wrote the first few steps of the question down then handed it back to him.

‘Cha, try it now.’ She spoke softly for the sake of all his ego.

He looked at her and started to be all mushy to her.

‘Ooh Jung Eunji, you care so much for me huh, I’m so touched. Stop making me like you this much.’

Eunji brushed off his remark with a slight smirk, she knew he was joking, it had been going on for a few days now. How he would ‘profess’ his love for her because she helped him with something or saying she’s really pretty after she get angry. All this were obviously jokes and it became a habit to the two of them, sometimes Eunji would even play along with In Guk, it was harmless afterall. Just friends right? Isabel and Yong Jae started to ship the two of them as a joke too but it soon spread to the rest of the class, leading them to actually believe that they might be together. It was ridiculous the amount of people who actually came up to Eunji to ask her if they were together, the only thing she could do was laugh and say “Good friends, FRIENDS” It might have been both their faults for playing with each other like that, but who cares actually, the only thing that matters was that the two of them knew the limit and as long as either doesn’t cross it, it’s fine.

 

So the duo continued texting each other until that once conversation that changed everything.

 

In Guk had the tendency to reply texts hours later and as time passed, Eunji got frustrated. I mean she obviously knows its not on purpose but it was SOOOO difficult to hold a proper conversation with him through texts. He would send her a text, she replies but the next reply would come only 1-2 hours later. By the time she receives his text, she had already forgotten what they had been talking about. Eunji had talked to Isabel about this and she told Eunji that it might be because he’s busy. But think about it, its not just one conversation, its ALL the conversations. Anwyay, Eunji tolerated it since she knew guys were extremely sensitive human beings and things like this would definitely affect them, until that one conversation.

 

“Eunggg, what are you doing~”

“Nothing much.”

“What do you mean nothing much?”

“Nothing in particular.”

“What’s wrong, are you okay?”

“Nah, I’m fine.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah”

“No. Something’s definitely up, what’s wrong?”

“Nah, im really fine”

“Why do you sound so upset or emo?”

 

…..

 

“Okay, I’m gonna tell you this but I want to make it clear that I’m not angry or upset about it at all. I just find it difficult to hold a conversation with you. I know its not intentional and it’s probably just me but im just frustrated, that’s all.”

“Okay, I shan’t talk to you right now. I’m sorry. I just have a lot of things on my mind right now that’s bugging me.”

“Do you wanna talk about it? I won’t force you if you don’t want to”

“No, I’m fine. But if you’re busy with your own stuff you wouldn’t even think that much”

“Exactly, so it’s just my fault then. Forget it.”

 

Ever since that conversation In Guk and Eunji hadn’t spoken. In Guk didn’t reply Eunji there was silence between the two for at least a week and a half, even in class they didn’t acknowledge each other.

 So, now what?