Chapter 11 - For the First Time

Skyhigh.

'I want you to be my girlfriend, Eunji.' 

Then everything fell into place, the coffee sleeve 10 days ago.

 

'DD-10

I love you'


Eunji and In Guk stood there in the middle of the street, holding hands but frozen to the ground. Electricity travelled down each of their spines, causing them both to flinch occassionally. 

What should she say? Yes? No? I dont know?

Eunji pulled her hand out of In Guk's grasp and stuck it close to her side to calm herself down before she opened :

'Uhh.. I ne..ed time..' The words came out of Eunji's mouth in chunks and she swallowed some in her anxiousness.

Before In Guk could say anything, she dashed off into the distance not wanting any other interaction with him until she could set her mind straight. Eunji felt her face get flushed and run hot even with the cold wind cutting at her face as she ran. She didn't know where she was going but she just wanted to be far away from In Guk, so far away that she could think, speak, breathe again. Before she knew it, Eunji had already reached her street, she must have walked for at least an hour but she didn't feel tired at all, pushing open her front door with all the energy she had within her, slamming it against the wall. The sound from the slam filled her empty house and echoed into her soul, she dragged herself into her room and immediately sunk into her bed. Eunji closed her eyes and the scene replayed in her mind, over and over. 

'He wants me to be his girlfriend?'

She thought in disbelief, the thing she so wanted finally made its way to Eunji's life. But now, she had cold feet. She thought about all the repercussions instead of the happy moments they would have and it frightened her, she didn't want another situation where In Guk would leave her and shut her out. But after all the 'what if-s', Eunji's head cleared up and she became that strong headed woman she was once again, she knew what she wanted and this was it, no matter what the outcome would be, she couldn't give the opporutnity up now, after all that time where she waited and waited and waited for her turn.

It was her turn now.

~*~

Eunji texted In Guk the day after to tell him how she felt, she was ready, as ready as she had ever been. The two met up at their usual coffee shop in the afternoon where she found In Guk at one of the seats in the far corner of the cafe. He was frowning, hands clenched and staring the hell out of his cup of coffee. Eunji giggled at this sight, he looked cute even when he was all serious and solemn, she made her way to his table and cleared to signal her arrival. In Guk looked up from his coffee cup and straight into Eunji's eyes, he jumped up from his seat with a frightened look, not knowing what to expect. She sat down on the seat opposite In Guk, making herself comfortable while poor In Guk had to prevent every muscle in his body from tensing up. He was quite shocked at how calm Eunji was, compared to her state yesterday, his mind started to run with thoughts. 

'Is she going to say no? Is that why she's so calm? Why isn't she saying anything? Will she say yes?'

She took a sip of the coffee he had ordered for her then prepared to tell him her answer. Eunji smiled shyly, clearing again before speaking with a clear and affirmative tone:

'Seo In Guk, I'll date you.'

In Guk couldn't believe his ears, after what happened yesterday he really thought she would say no and this 'date' was only to tell him clearly to his face. For a few moments he stared at her blankly, trying to process what she had said and make sense of it. Then when all the gears in his mind started to work, a smile appeared on his face, he couldn't help himself, the adreneline that rushed through his body felt good, he was happy, genuiniely. He reached out for her hand and held it tightly in his, the warmth from hers comforted In Guk, he would be able to do this from now on, every single day. Eunji chuckled at In Guk's goofiness, she was glad to have him as a boyfriend, her first one in fact. It was more of the fact that she knew a lot about him and she felt safe when she was with him, Eunji could be herself around him and that was one thing she loved. 

The two left the coffee shop to go on their first official date, they held hands but it was awkward, maybe because they were not used to this lovey dovey stuff with each other after so many years of friendship. But they soon got used to it and it actually felt quite good. Eunji liked that she would now have someone that will take care of her, make her tea when she was sick, give her a massage when she was tired and shower her with love when she was upset. In Guk was happy to have Eunji as his girlfriend, she was a strong independent woman that holds her strong principles with respect, unlike other girls that merely depended on their boyfriends to do everything for them. They headed to Dongdaemun to go shopping and what not, they just really didn't know what to do at that point in time.

 

~*~

 

It got pretty late so Eunji decided it was time to head home, In Guk offered to send her home so the two of them made their way back to her house. On the bus, the two were admiring their new couple items, despite it being cheesy and corny they felt that this was important, to remind them that they weren't just friends anymore, they were a couple now. After getting off the bus, they walked through the park they were at the day before, Eunji felt her face get flushed, embarrassed with her behaviour yesterday, but In Guk reassured that it was cute and not embarrassing at all. (He lied, but not about the cute part, it was really cute to him). They walked in unison along the pathway, the light from the lamposts along the path set a dim glow over them, casting a faint shadow in front of them, In Guk made hand puppet shadows as they walked to entertain Eunji. The wind grew harsher as the night sky got darker, Eunji shivered slightly as wind relentlessly whipped at the two of them. In Guk put his arm around her shoulder, holding up one of her hands and blowed warm air into them to hopefully warm her up. Eunji looked at In Guk's face, all puffed up as he blowed the warm air, it was such a pleasant feeling to have someone do these little things for you but it makes you all warm and fuzzy inside. They walked on until reaching the swings, Eunji couldn't help herself as she ran off to the swings like a little girl, choosing the swing closest to them and pushing herself off, rocking back and forth, back and forth. In Guk stood on the pathway, smiling at Eunji's child-like moment, he whipped out his phone and began video-ing her.

'Ya, are you filming me? Don't!'

'Why it's cute, you're cute'

'Stop it!'

In Guk gets into the swing next to her and begins swinging as well, the two of them feel like kids again, it was similar to when they played together as children. He panned the camera to Eunji's face again:

'Eunji-ya, what day is it today?'

'The first day of our official relationship!'

'That's right! So we need to document this historic moment'

Eunji gave In Guk a wide smile as she swung back. He got off his swing and Eunji stopped her own swing too, before she could get off In Guk knelt next to her so that he was the same height as her. He turned the camera towards the two of them and started to speak again:

'To the future Eunji and In Guk: If you're watching this, I hope you guys are old, married and have kids together.'

Eunji slapped In Guk on the back for saying such an absurd thing, she felt her face get hot from his comment. He flinched at her violent smack then rubbed his back to relieve some of the pain.

'And I hope that the future Eunji won't be as violent.' She threatened to do it again but In Guk pleaded with his pitiful face. 

'Anyway, this is the first day of our relationship and I hope we will last long! As long as the Earth allows us to live and love!' In Guk exclaims into the phone

Eunji was overwhelmed with emotions, she felt so glad that In Guk felt that way and it gave her hope, that this relationship wasn't all the 'what-ifs' she had thought about. She wrapped her arms around him, burying her face into one of his strong, broad shoulders.

'Aigoo, our Eunji is all vulnerable from my love' he joked as he pat her head.

She lifted her head from his shoulder and whispers:

'Thank you In Guk, for loving me even though I'm not worth it.'

In Guk stares into Eunji's eyes, before giving her a kiss on her forehead. He turns towards the phone again and finally signs off:

'To great days ahead, and great love.'