Chapter 10 - Love, it's a special thing.

Skyhigh.

In Guk continued to pester Eunji for the next few days, spamming her with texts, calls, voicemails, emails, any type of communication you could think of. But she didn't reply. He got so desperate that he even waited outside her house a couple of times to catch her if she ever went out, but nothing. In Guk knew he had to do something, but what? He contacted Yong Jae who had been hanging out with this new girl for a while now, they were pretty steady and In Guk envied them, thinking about the time when Eunji and him would become like that. The two met up and In Guk pleaded for Yong Jae's help, telling him that he was at his wit's end and he didn't know what else to do. Yong Jae sighed and agreed to help his dire friend in need. They started to plot this elaborate plan that would definitely get Eunji's attention.

~*~

At Eunji's house. Eunji is seen to be lying on her bed, with her laptop in front of her and scrolling furiously through the net. Her phone beeps next to her.

'Yong Jaee hyung~'

She unlocks her phone and reads the message.

'Ya, Jung Eunji. I haven't seen this bro of mine in a long time. Wanna meet up? I'l treat you to something and you can tell me about your worries. Yes In Guk talked to me, BUT this isn't about him, it's for you okay.'

Eunji smirked, happy that In Guk did actually care to try to cheer her up, but still a little pissed off at his blatant ignorance. She texted back 

'Mmm, araso. If he pops up there the both of you are dead you hear me. I'll see you at 11? Same place?'

'Call! Dress nice, we're going to a fancy restaurant.' 

~*~

Eunji threw on one of the dresses she had in her closet (since she had to dress nice), a black based dress with a lacey top and leopards printed on the front, matched it with a few accessories and shoes then made her way out of the house.

10:45am

She walked faster than usual since she knew she was going to be late, taking bigger strides as she walked. But there was something unusual about the route she took, even though it was the same one. It was much livelier today, there were people everywhere going about their own business. Eunji texted Yong Jae to tell him she would be late but at that time she noticed something, the path she took was filled with chalk-drawn footprints.

What the heck? Did someone do this on purpose?

A text came in for Eunji. 

'Ya Jung Eunji, follow the footprints and come to the resturaunt.' 

Eunji rolled her eyes, this was too cheesy for her. The things you see in those nauseating romantic dramas were happening to her, and she smelt Seo In Guk all over this. Even though it made Eunji shiver a little, she thought it was kinda cute. She followed the footprints that changed colours with each step, some had words in them 'Follow me!' and 'This way!' which were really lame but Eunji giggled at the effort. Soon she walked to the end of the trail the footprints led her to and she reached the park near her home, nowhere near any fancy restaurant that Yong Jae had mentioned so Eunji was sure In Guk was about to pop out from somewhere. 

'Excuse me!' She heard a voice shout from behind her. Eunji turned around and saw a kid standing behind her.

'Are you Eunji-noona?' He asked with that adorable innocent face. Eunji mesmerized by his cuteness nodded and stooped to his eye level. The boy reached into his pocket and pulled out a small card, handing it to Eunji. She took it from his hands and thanked him before he ran off into the distance. Eunji opened the card and it read, 'Find the other hints!'. She rolled her eyes and looked around the humongous park she was in, 'How the heck does he want me to find the hints in this huge place.' Regardless Eunji began her search for the hints, looking cluelessly into lamposts or bushes for something, anything to get this over and done with. But as she weaved herself through the path of park, she realised that this park was where she and In Guk shared the best memories, childhood and even till today. Eunji walked towards the swings where she found the first 'clue' in the sand next to the pole where they carved their names on, she picked it up, sat on one of the swings then read the note. 

'Remember we carved our names on this pole? Once you fell and I had to get you plasters and ice cream to pacify your sad soul. Heh'

Eunji smiled as she thought back to that moment, she could almost see the two of them as kids in front of her, playing in the sand box. She got up and continued her way down the path, the next place was the huge grass patch where she had picnics with her and In Guk's family. In the middle of the field she found a box with a shovel and a note inside, 'Remember our time capsule?'. Eunji instinctively went to the tree nearby and began digging up dirt around the roots to find their time capsule inside. She brushed off the excess dirt around it and picked it up from the ground, removing the lid and taking out the contents. Eunji held up the keychain inside, it said 'Best friends' and there was a piece of paper attached to it, reading 'Seo In Guk X Jung Eunji, best friends forever! 1997 <3' she smiled, placing the keychain back into the box and taking out the note, 'These were our treasured memories, remember?'.

She made her way to the old and rickety bench where Eunji and In Guk spent most of their junior high days together after school, too afraid to sit on it she stood next to it looking for the next 'clue'. Behind the bench there was a bottle of water with a note, 'You must be thirsty, so drink up and find the next clue! You're almost there!' She laughed then took a sip of water before moving off again. Eunji had walked most of the park now and visited the places she and In Guk frequented but she couldn't find the last clue. Then it struck her, the clock tower! She ran towards it excitedly as if she was about to find some buried treasure, she felt like a kid again, going on treasure hunts and reliving her past. Eunji reached the clock tower which was situated near the entrance of the park, looking around the tower for the clue but nothing, just then the clock struck twelve and the chime of the bell ran through the air, filling it completely. She looked up at the clock and something fell down from it, she rushed over to pick up the box, opeing it immediately and reading the note stuck to it.

'Look behind you.'

Eunji turned her head and there In Guk stood, hands behind his back with a wide smile on his face. She couldn't force herself to look cross because she felt happy, happy to have had this experience, happy see him standing there, happy to have him in general. She closed the lid on the box and hugged it close to her chest. 

'What is all this you bastard.' She tried her best to say it coldly, pretending to still be pissed off.

'You liked it didn't you, you drama queen, stop acting.' He walked towards her slowly.

'You made me run around like some crazy woman in this crazy weather, you're disgusting.'

'But you liked it didn't you.'

She didnt reply, she couldn't because Eunji would look like a smiling idiot. In Guk stretched his hands out in front of him and handed her a coffee sleeve, waving it as a sign for her to take it. Eunji took it from his hands and read the sleeve.

'Don't be angry uh~ You're prettier when you're the happy dork I love. I'm sorry. Forgive me?' He pouted his lips and gave her the puppy dog eyes in an attempt to beg for forgiveness. Eunji smiled at his adorable face, she couldn't stay angry at this face. 

'You're lucky I'm such a forgiving best friend, don't do it again you hear me. If not it's really friendship over.'

'But I don't want you to be a forgiving best friend.'

Eunji looked at him, confused. What did he mean? Wasn't this what he wanted?

'I want you to be my girlfriend, Eunji.' 

Then everything fell into place, the coffee sleeve 10 days ago.

 

'DD-10

I love you'

 

A warm, tingling sensation filled Eunji's heart. It was love.