Chapter 6 : Debut

Sister Act

No one POV 

Super Junior stood off side of the stage as Jinah prepared for her solo stage, Kai and Lay were getting last minute touch ups from the staff. They were impressed and proud of Sunah’s performance and couldn’t wait for Jinah’s.

Jinah was walking around the stage, backwards and forwards, trying to calm herself. Donghae and Eunhyuk saw that she was nervous and went over to her. She stopped pacing when she saw them approach and gave them a nervous smile.

“Don’t be so nervous, Jinah. You are gonna rock it baby.” Eunhyuk said giving her a reassuring wink and a caress on the shoulder. Jinah gulped and played with her fingers.

“I’m not normally nervous but I just have a feeling like I’m going to mess up or something.” She confessed to them. They understood what she was feeling perfectly, Donghae brought her to him in a hug, careful not to ruin her outfit.

“You are going to be perfect, Jinah.” He whispers in her ear, she smiles at them.

“Performers! Places!”

Jinah’s heart skipped a beat as the announcer gave her cue; she waved to EunHae as they quickly left the stage. She took position in the centre of the stage and adjusted her microphone, she turned to look at Kai and Lay. Kai gave her a wink and playful smirk while Lay gave her thumbs up.

Jinah turned back just as the music started, the crowd went wild as they recognised the song.

“Good choice of song.” Sungmin said, nodding his head to the beat.

“Just wait for the dance.” Sunah replied

Super Junior watched as Jinah sang and ily walked circles around Kai and Lay, they pretended to be in a trance. The crowd cheered as the chorus played, Jinah stopped in-between them and did a body roll while going down. Her hands sliding down their bodies as she went down.

Kai then forcefully hoisted her up, his hand on her thigh; Lay was behind her, his head on her shoulder.

“Holy crap.” Heechul muttered, turning away.

Sungmin laughed at his hyungs reaction, he saw that most of the members had done the same thing as Heechul. Jinah tried to calm her beating heart and focus on the dance but that was proving difficult for her.

The dance was so ually charged she had to think of something else; Jinah quickly glanced to where her sister and Super Junior were. Her eyes met Siwon’s as he just gazed at her. Siwon’s expression hardened every second he watched Jinah dancing, his blood boiling.

Donghae and Eunhyuk watched Jinah proudly, however every time Jinah got close to Kai or Lay they would suddenly get annoyed but they just shook it off as them being over protective oppas. The performance ended with Jinah being in a tight embrace with both boys.

The crowd cheered louder when Kai and Lay gave Jinah kisses on the cheek, she blushed and bowed at them. They left the stage and Jinah ran into Sunah’s waiting arms.

“You did good, sweetie!” Sunah said, patting her on the back. Jinah felt herself calm down in her sister’s arms; Super Junior congratulated her, every member giving her a kiss on the cheek.

“Super Junior, on stage please. Jinah, Sunah, head back to the waiting room and get ready.”  

They waved goodbye to each other, Sunah held onto Jinah as they were led away from the stage to a closed partition in the waiting room.

“You girls get changed in here and then we will do your makeup.” A stylist said quickly before going to her makeshift makeup stand in the corner. Sunah took one look at her outfit and groaned.

“Do we seriously have to wear this? We might as well not wear anything.” She whined holding up her outfit, a pair of short denim pants and a yellow singlet with accessories and matching heels.

“Unfortunately my dear sister, we don’t have a choice.” Jinah took off her previous outfit and quickly slide on the other. The pink singlet she was wearing was quite cute in her opinion.

Jinah finished dressing first and left the makeshift dressing room, leaving a grumbling Sunah and sat down on a chair to put on her heels. She bent down to grab her shoe when male hands took it from her and put it on her foot. The long fingers were caressing her ankles.

Jinah smirked and looked up at her mystery helper.

“I would have given you brownie points if this was so cliché, Daehyun.” She said flicking his shoulder, Daehyun merely smiled at her. Jinah had always thought his smile was to child-like and way to cheerful.

But Daehyun did possess certain qualities she liked but after their brief relationship ended, Jinah only ever flirted with him like she did before.

“I can do other things that aren’t cliché.” Jinah almost laughed aloud when Daehyun attempted a smoulder. She took his hands off her legs and stood up. Sometimes Daehyun takes it a little too far, Jinah walked past him but he grabbed her and pulled her to him.

“Let go of me Daehyun or you are gonna be in serious trouble.” She said, glaring at him. Daehyun huffed and smirked at her.

“You think I’m scared of your Suju oppas?” He laughed at her and tighten his grip on her arm, she was about to insult him when she saw what was behind him and smiled sweetly at him.

“Not only Suju.” She said gesturing him to turn around; Daehyun thought she was lying and turned around with a smug look on his face, the look disappeared as he was met with the scary glares of 25 males, the aura around them deadly.

“Remove your hands, Daehyun,” Suho started

“Or lose them.” Leeteuk finished

 

Sunah POV

I come out of the changing room and it’s like world war 3 in the waiting room, the atmosphere is intense. When I saw that Jinah was a part of it, my only thought was to strangle her. Why can’t she keep out of trouble? She’s like a magnet, it always finds her.

The other Idols in the room were watching, half of them amused and other’s wondering if they should interfere or not. I was going to interject when the rest of BAP came and took Daehyun away with Yongguk apologising for his band mate’s behaviour.

The tension disappeared and I went to Jinah’s side.

“You can’t be good for 5 minutes. Unbelievable!” I say scolding her, she cringes and looks at her oppas, who conveniently disperse. Jinah’s mouth gapes open, utterly shocked they left her to be fed to the wolf, in this case me.

“Sunah, this really wasn’t my fault. I was walking away.” Jinah took half a step back from me, I think she actually thought I was gonna hit her. She even put her hands up. Ah, my sister is a special one.

“Don’t be scared, Jinah.” I say. “I won’t hit you. Hard.” I give her a creepy smile.

“Oppa!” She calls out, no one answers her. “Cowards.” She mutters and I just laugh at her.

“Sunah! Jinah! You’re up!”  Our manager says coming towards us and ushering us to the stage.

Super Junior and EXO are waiting in the wings; they give us high fives as we pass them. Jinah and I take our places centre stage, the MC gives us a wink and turns to the camera.

“And now, making their official debut, please welcome SM’s new duo, Sister Act! With their debut single, Ma Boy!!!”

Cheers erupt, the spotlight finds us and the music starts. It’s the best feeling in the world, the crowd really liked us. As Jinah is singing and dancing, she blows kisses to the audience making them cheer louder. She’s a crowd pleaser, that one.

Our song ends and we take our bows.

“Hello, we are Sister Act! I’m Sunah!”

“I’m Jinah!”

“We would like to thank our Sunbaes’ for all their advice and support; we couldn’t have done it without you.”

“And to Lee Soo Man, thank you for giving us this chance. Saranghae Appa!”

I hugged Jinah; she tightened her arms around me.

“We did it, Sunah.” She whispered in my ear and let go of me. We give the audience one last bow and wave and leave the stage.

“Well done girls!”

“You guys were amazing!”

Our Sunbaes surrounded us and congratulated us, Kai starts teasing Jinah saying her dancing could have been better, she responds by smacking him over the head. We all laugh at their antics, our manager squeezes past them.

“Ah, Sunah. Two people called for you and your sister while you were performing and said they would like to catch up some time.” He says giving me a piece of paper, I unfold it and read it, my eyes widen in shock and I quickly grab Jinah.

“We’ll be back.” I said pulling her along, she gives me a dumbfounded look. I ignore it and keep walking until we get to an empty hallway. I let go of her.

“What the hell is wrong with you?” She asked with an irritated expression on her face.

“Those two people the manager spoke about...” I said giving her the paper, she yanks it from me and reads it, her eyes widen.

“No ing way!!!” She exclaims angrily and scrunches up the paper.

“How did they find us? We changed our names.” I asked her, tears sliding down my cheeks. Jinah’s anger leaves her, she grabs my shoulders.

“Hey! This is nothing. So they know about us, they can’t come near us. We are protected for now.” She says wiping away my tears.

“What if they come looking for us?”

“Then we’ll leave.”

“But what about SM? We can’t just leave, those guys are our family and we worked so hard.” I can’t believe she would actually consider leaving, not after everything we’ve been through to make it this far.

“The dream has to end sometime, Sunah.”

 

Kyuhyun POV

The look on Sunah’s face when she opened that paper I knew something wasn’t right. My suspicions were confirmed when she practically dragged Jinah out with her. The others weren’t worrying about it but I was, Leeteuk had noticed Sunah’s reaction too and came to me, pretending to fix my mic.

 “Follow them.” He whispers to me, I give him a nod and quietly leave. I managed to catch up with them and hid behind a corner. I couldn’t hear much but from their expressions and body language was enough for me to know they had a problem.

As if my prayers were answered they started speaking louder.

“What if they come looking for us?”

That had me confused, who would come looking for them? A family member? Friend? They why did they look sp defeated and downtrodden?

“Then we’ll leave.”

No way! Jinah did not just say that! Is it really that bad?

“But what about SM? We can’t just leave them, those guys are our family and we worked so hard.”

I could hear the sincerity in Sunah’s plea, just what was coming for these girls to have them this terrified?

“The dream has to end sometime, Sunah.”

~

I left with Jinah’s words stuck in my head, if it was so terrible why won’t they just tell someone? The look that Sunah had on her face has me troubled. She looked so fragile as if she might break. Jinah had looked like she wanted to kill someone but she has fear in her eyes.

This definitely was a mystery, one I intend to solve. I entered the waiting area and got side swiped by Leeteuk, he latched onto me and me into the portable changing room, and the rest of the guys were in there.

I don’t have any idea how they all managed to fit, I didn’t want to know. I was just amazed that there was still room. They all stared at me as if waiting for me; I guess Leeteuk told them where I was.

“So, what did you find out?” Leeteuk asks me

“It’s definitely something big.” I said to them. “It’s strange though, someone is trying to find them and I hear Jinah say they had to leave if they were found.”

“Huh? Leave?” Donghae and Eunhyuk said together

“If they have to leave after being found then it must be something horrible.” Sungmin looked at everyone, his eyes showing sadness although everyone knew who it was for.

I sighed, not sure if I should tell them about what else I noticed but it has to be done.

“There is something else...” I began

“What is it, Kyu?” Wookie said tilting his head.

“It’s just that the whole time I was watching them they both had fear in their expressions. I don’t know what is going on but I do know that Jinah and Sunah are scared to death.” This made them go quiet, all of them thinking of how to go about this.

“Well, we can’t do anything yet. Not until we know more. Let’s just keep this between us and watch out for them as usual. Oh, Hae? Hyuk? Tone down the bodyguard thing.”  Leeteuk said in his leader voice, I watched amused as Donghae and Eunhyuk shook their heads.

“Not a chance, hyung.” They said at the same time.

The curtain behind me opened with a whoosh. I turned around to see Jinah and Sunah with perplexed expressions on their faces.

“Um, what are you all doing in the changing room?” Sunah asked, everyone immediately looked at me with wide eyes that screamed ‘Kyu! Think of something!’ I sighed and then smiled at the twins.

“Oh, we were just having a meeting about our performance tonight.” I said, I heard the guys behind me sigh with relief. Sunah nodded and walked away, Jinah remained there with a smirk on her face.

“I thought it was just a rumour that you guys liked .” She said boldly and walked away laughing. I chuckled at her comment; she was just a feisty as me. I looked at the guys who have gone red-faced.

“Aish, that girl!” Heechul muttered.

 

Jinah POV

For finally debuting, Soo Man Appa rented out a function room at a 5 star hotel and throws us a party, a formal party. The guys are required to wear suits and the girl pretty cocktail dresses. Sunah and I are at an afterhour’s celebrity salon getting hair and makeup done.

I’ve gone for a dramatic yet chic look while Sunah has gone demure and elegant. My hair has been curled, and then scrunched up on top of my head with a few loose curls artfully falling down. A small tiara is then placed on top.

Sunah’s hair has been straightened then gathered to one side in a bun behind her ear. A pretty diamonded flower is placed over the bun completing the look. Sunah looks at me excitedly but the fear from earlier lingers in her eyes.

I made a decision right there to protect her from what was coming. We finished hair and makeup and were escorted upstairs where our dresses were and after a limo will take us to the hotel. My dress is a spaghetti strap red silk dress; it fell straight down almost touching the floor.

It has a slit starting from my thigh going down, the black stilettos made the dress ier. It was an eye opener, that’s for sure. Sunah came out of the change room and she looked beautiful. Her dress was a strapless baby blue with a sweetheart bodice.

The skirt was full of ruffles, the jewelled detailing separated the bodice and skirt, only making it look more sophisticated. She was wearing silver heels and barely any jewellery apart from a silver and diamond tear drop necklace.

‘Jinah! You look amazing.” She said eyeing me up and down. I spun around for effect.

“So do you.” I reply walking up to her. I gave her a quick cuddle and we headed downstairs to the waiting limo.

We arrived at the hotel, Soo Man appa was waiting for us at the entrance. He smiled when he saw our limo and grew wider when we stepped out. He gave me and Sunah a kiss on the cheek and a brief hug.

“Omo! Look at my beautiful girls!” He said happily

He extended out both of his arms, Sunah and I each took one and was escorted in by our appa. Once again he has outdone himself; he has invited almost every Idol group I could think of to celebrate our debut.

We entered the decorated ballroom, a waiter at the door announced our arrival, the whole room clapped and cheered as we walked through the crowd to the makeshift stage. I noticed Super Junior and Exo mingling together near the buffet tables.

I gave them a small wave as we passed; they waved back while some winked instead. Soo Man appa got on the stage, Sunah and I stood beside it but still could be seen by everybody. He starts his speech and I scan the room.

Wow, he even invited the trainees as well. I saw the familiar glare of Junmi; she was standing with her posse near the refreshments table. I made eye contact with her and winked; she huffed and turned red faced. I giggled quietly, Sunah glanced at me.

“Why are you laughing?” She whispered.

“I’ll tell you later.’ I replied, she rolled her eyes and we both went back to listening to appa’s closing sentence of his speech.

“Once again, thank you very much for attending Jinah and Sunah’s debut party. I hope you all of you have a fantastic night.” He said proudly, applause filled the room and then the DJ began to play music, the guests started to dance in the middle of the room.

I left Sunah next to the stage and headed to the refreshment table, I poured the punch into two glasses. As I went to lift them up, a hand snatches it away. I look at the thief; he stands there with his child-like smile.

“Shouldn’t your oppas try it first? It might be poisoned.” Daehyun said with an arrogant smirk on his face, he started swirling the cup in his hand, being careful not to spill any of its contents.

I had a feeling him and B.A.P would be here, Appa doesn’t know about the waiting room incident.

“Why don’t you try it then, Oppa?” I retorted back with a satisfied smile on my face, he leans in close to me. I move to step back but he holds me in place with his hand on my bare arm. Jesus, I really should invest in some bodyguards of my own.

“Let go, Daehyun.” I said

“Do you honestly think they’ll always be around to protect you? Look at them with your sister; they’re not looking for you.”

I turned my in the direction he was looking at, my sister surrounded by Super Junior and EXO. She looked like a princess with her guards protecting her. I felt a pang in my chest as I kept watching them smiling and laughing without me.

“I can handle myself, they know that.” I said, turning back to him.

“Or they prefer Sunah more, you are a bit of a handful.” He eyes me up and down. “In one or two places.” His gaze stopped at my chest, I raise my hand to slap him but he grabs it.

“You don’t want to embarrass your Appa, do you?” He says with a crooked smile, I yank my hand out of his grip.

“You are an !” I said turning to leave, I was not thirsty anymore.

“An you used to like.”

I moved through the guests to the exit. I shouldn’t let what Daehyun said affect me so much, he still infuriates me and we are not even dating. It’s true that I have some flaws, okay a lot of flaws but no one is perfect.

Sunah loves me despite my flaws, so do the guys. At least I think they do, they probably just put up with me because they like Sunah. Oh god, I shouldn’t be thinking these things, I love my sister to death and would die for her.

Okay, maybe I’m exaggerating just a bit. Not die for her but still, you get the picture. I must have been walking pretty fast and before I knew it, I was outside of the hotel. The cold air touched my bare skin, making me shiver.

In the corner of the valet parking area I saw some bikies gathered smoking and drinking. I walked up to them, they were quiet as I approached them, looking at me with wary eyes. One of them, who I assumed is the leader, gets of his motorcycle and stands in front of me.

“Any of you guys have a cigarette?” I asked them, they looked at me dumbfounded like they weren’t expecting me to ask that.

“The ball wasn’t to your liking, Cinderella?” One of the bikies asked. I sighed

“You have no idea.”