Chapter 2 : Jinah and Sunah

Sister Act

“Inah, Jinah!”

Jinah slowly awoke to the bright sun in her eyes and her sister standing at the foot of her bed with an annoyed expression on her done up face. Jinah groans and rolls onto her stomach to avoid the sun, taking the blanket with her.

She hears her sister’s sigh of frustration and smirks against her pillow; Jinah always loves to tease Sunah.

“Come on Jinah! Soo Man appa already left and we late enough as it is.” Sunah sighs again eyeing the lump on the bed, it’s always the same routine every morning. Them being late because Jinah liked to sleep in.

Jinah pulls the blanket down from her face and sits up in bed knowing if she were to continue any longer, Sunah would dunk cold water on her, a technique she learned from their Super Junior Oppas when they first became trainees.

Jinah had fallen asleep in the practice room, Sunah teamed up with Heechul, Eunhyuk and Donghae to pour ice cold water on her and they recorded it as a keepsake. Jinah had never forgotten and that’s why she never slept at the company ever again.

Sunah goes to Jinah’s wardrobe and pulls out and outfit and lays it on the bed, Jinah eyes the outfit and opens to speak but Sunah silences her.

“We have a meeting with the photographer about our debut album cover and we have to record our songs for the album.” Sunah tells Jinah with a wide smile and a twinkle in her eye. Recording songs is always Sunah’s favourite thing while Jinah liked to practice in the dance rooms.

Jinah jumps out of bed and proceeds to get dressed into the outfit Sunah chose, she glances at the clock and realises they are over 10 minutes late to the meeting but doesn’t worry since Soo Man always covers for them when they are late.

One of the many reasons Jinah liked Soo Man so much, they have already been living with him for 5 years and couldn’t be happier with their lives. Sunah helps her sister do her hair, putting it up into a messy yet sophisticated bun on top of her head.

Jinah quickly does her makeup and Sunah practically drags her out of the house saying goodbye to the housekeeper as they do.  

10 minutes later and they arrive at SME; the front entrance is crowded by fans, mainly Super Junior fans. Jinah and Sunah push through the fans, entering the building looking a little dishelved. It’s always war going through the front entrance hence why some used the back way instead.

Jinah looks back at the fans wishing they wouldn’t spend all of their time just waiting, surely they had lives too. The obsession of a fan was always something Jinah couldn’t comprehend; Sunah didn’t mind it since she is a bit of a fan girl herself. Especially with SHINee, Super Junior and TVXQ.

She always blushes when she talks to any of them and stutters while Jinah can just speak with them normally. They arrive at the meeting room and greet the photographer, bowing with respect. He shows them some concepts for the album he wants them to try.

Jinah and Sunah just pick the ones they like and the ones they don’t, the meeting ends after 10 minutes of discussion. The girls decide to head to the practice rooms and see their oppas since they have an hour to spare.

Luckily Super Junior, SHINee and TVXQ were in the one room so the girls didn’t have to divide time to visit each one. They open the door and find all of them scattered around the room, Jinah scans the room and finds the person she is looking for.

“Fishy oppa!” She yells into the room before running over to Donghae, who has his arms out ready to catch her. Jinah jumps into his arms; he spins her around before putting her safely on the ground.

“Did you sleep in again?” He asks ruffling her hair; Jinah pouts at him and wraps her arms around him, ignoring the protests of the others with Donghae.

Sunah smiles watching Jinah’s interaction with Donghae, she walks over to Leeteuk and Heechul.

“Morning Oppas.” She says bowing.

Leeteuk and Heechul can’t help but smile back at her, Sunah is always so kind and polite to them while Jinah is always flirting with them and being mischievous but they love both twins equally.

“Did Jinah sleep in again?” Leeteuk asks making a gesture for Sunah to sit on his lap, she blushes a little and sits on his lap.

“Yes, she is worse than Chullie oppa.” Sunah replies.

Heechul gives her a glare but she gently pats his cheek smiling sweetly and his glare softens. Leeteuk grins at how Heechul caves whenever Sunah apologizes to him.  Sunah had Cinderella wrapped around her little finger.

Sunah looks over at Jinah, who has taken Kyuhyun’s psp away from him; she is hiding behind Donghae and Changmin. They push Kyu away when he tries to get through, Minho and Shindong join in as well making a wall. Sunah laughs at her sister’s antics, Leeteuk and Heechul see what she is laughing at and they laugh too.

Jinah never fails in teasing her oppas, sometimes she pranks SNSD and f(x) but it’s mainly the men that suffer.

Jinah squeals when Kyuhyun almost got through the wall but got pushed back, she poked her tongue at him and laughs at the clearly angry Suju maknae.

“Okay, I’ll give you back your psp only if you dance to ‘Gee’ for me.” She says to him, the guys start laughing. Sungmin gets his iPod ready at the sound system. Kyuhyun felt his life leave him, every time he does the dance, he wants to be swallowed up and never be seen again.

Jinah dangles the psp in front of him like a piece of meat, Kyuhyun gives in and sighs, getting into position.  Ryeowook, Sungmin, Heechul and Key join him as well and it turns into a mini-concert, the girls enjoyed it, mostly Jinah.

She was delighted when she saw Kyuhyun blushing the whole time he was dancing, Jinah loved to pick on Kyuhyun and bring him down a peg or two. Sunah always saying that she only picked on Kyuhyun because she liked him but Jinah denies every time saying she and Kyuhyun are just good friends.

The girl’s fun was cut short when their vocal trainer came to get them; they pleaded to stay longer even trying their aeygo but were denied.

“We’ll see you guys later.” Jinah says to them, she takes hold of Sunah’s hand and they bow before leaving the practice room and heading to the recording studio.

Jinah POV

This part of the song is giving me the s! Sunah and I have to harmonise with each other and that’s just not happening.  It doesn’t help that when I try to focus she always pulls funny faces and I get distracted easily.

“Let’s skip this track for now and start the next one.” The sound manager says through the PA. I sigh and glance at Sunah.

“Being a trainee is hard.” I whine at her, she rolls her eyes at me.

“You’re the one that got us into it.” She says fixing up her headphones and looking over the sheet music. I pout at Sunah, who just shakes her head.

You’d think that since I’m the older twin she would respect me more but nope. The familiar beat of our song comes on and we start to sing. Our debut is ‘Ma Boy’, it was supposed to be Sistar’s sub group song but Soo Man bought the rights to the song and it became our debut song instead.

Sunah likes the song but hates the dance we have to perform for it; she says it’s too ual for her. I don’t mind it, I like to dance ually, and sometimes I do couple dancing with some of our oppas and let me tell ya one thing.

You are calm when you enter the practice room and ually frustrated when you leave it. I am impulsive and want to act according to my needs. Why shouldn’t I? I am a healthy teenage girl but no one dares touch me coz;

A – I’m Lee Soo Man’s daughter, well adopted and

B – I’m only seventeen.

Apparently those are deal breakers which kind of piss me off.

We finish singing and the sound manager gives us thumbs up, Sunah and I leave the booth, holding hands. The sound tech plays our song for us and we listen in awe. I still can’t believe those are our voices we are hearing. I glance at Sunah, who has tears streaming down her petite face.

“Oh honey.” I say pulling her into a hug and kissing her temple.

Sunah always get emotional when she hears our voices, I’m happy too but not enough to cry about it like she does. Sunah finishes crying and we thank the sound manager and his team and leave to head to Soo Man’s office.

As we walk to the door, Mr Kim, Super Junior’s manager comes out, he smiles at us as he walks past and when no one is looking, he squeezes my and smirks at me! I know I should complain but I am in a dilemma.

Mr Kim is one of SME’s best managers and he is also Soo Man appa’s long time friend. He wasn’t really the one who started it, it was me. During the period when Sunah and I first arrived, let’s say we were cold to everyone.

Mr Kim had seen through our facade and helped us open up; I admit I had a crush on him. He is equally handsome to Super Junior. I regrettably acted on my juvenile feelings and since then he has seen fit to ually harass me any chance he gets.

“You should really tell someone, Jinah.” Sunah whispers to me, she had seen the whole thing. She disapproves of me keeping it to myself.

“You know why I can’t.” I remind her as we walk through the doors of Soo Man appa’s office. He gets up from his desk, walks over to us and envelops us in his arms. If I do tell someone there is no guarantee that they would believe me anyway.

Sunah POV

Soo Man appa gestures for us to sit down on the two chairs in front of his desk; he goes behind his desk and waits for us to be seated.

“So, how is training?” he asks, his eyes smiling at us.

“It’s great appa.” Jinah tells him enthusiastically, she has pink on her cheeks. Jinah still blushes whenever she calls him appa; it’s still pretty new for her.

“That’s good to hear. What about the song recording?”

Jinah rolls her eyes at the question while I giggle.

“We are getting there.” I tell him, Jinah laughs at my answer while Soo Man appa looks at us like we have lost our minds.

“Okay. The reason I called you here is to ask you something.” Soo Man begins his demeanour serious. Jinah and I glance at each other before looking back at him. “It has been a long standing tradition at SM that seniors and juniors perform together before a debut.”

The door opens and in comes Jonghyun, Onew and Minho. They smile and wave at us but bow to Soo Man appa. He smiles back at them.

“Glad you could come boys. Now Sunah, I want you to do a duet with Onew while Jinah does a joint dance performance with Jonghyun and Minho.”

My eyes widen in shock. Me? Do a duet with Onew? I glance at Jinah who is boldly ing on Minho and Jonghyun, she even winks at them. They cough and look everywhere else but at her.

“So, do you girls accept?” He asks us with a gleam in his eye.

“I accept!” Jinah jumps out of her seat and links arms with Jonghyun and Minho.

“I accept as well. Please take care of me Sunbae.” I say bowing to Onew, he pats me on the head and gives me that signature smile of his. Maybe this won’t be so bad after all but knowing Jinah, things will get crazy for sure.

We leave the office and head back to the studio, all the while Jinah is gushing about how much fun it will be dancing with Minho and Jonghyun.