The Quest Begins

Brothers in Arms

Things were pretty awkward as I drove us to the first location that Mir had given me. The radio was off and we were sitting in traffic, waiting to turn onto the freeway. I cleared my throat to break the silence.

 

“So, what are we looking for again?” I asked. Mir rolled his eyes.

 

“Not what, who. His name is Seungho. He's a friend of mine, that's all you need to know right now,” Mir harshly replied. The moon was in front of us as we got on the freeway. I couldn't help but steal glances at Mir's glowing eyes and hair... there was something entrancing about it.

 

We rode in silence for a few hours until Mir finally spoke up again.

 

“Take this exit,” he instructed. I did as he said. Minutes later we were driving through some small town.

 

“Where the hell are we?” I wondered as I looked around.

 

“Blackmont. Follow this road for about three more miles and then take the first right,” he said. We came to a run down old house. Vines were growing up the sides, and the grass hadn't been cut in months.

 

“Why would anyone live here?” I said as we got out of the car.

 

“You ask a lot of questions,”

 

I rolled my eyes at Mir and looked at the horizon. The sun was starting to come up and Mir's hair, skin, and eyes completely stopped glowing. It must've only happened at night. He walked up to the door and knocked three times. A few seconds later the door opened and a young blonde guy was standing there.

 

“Mir? What brings you back to Blackmont?” he asked, looking at me suspiciously.

 

“This is Joon... his brother was kidnapped by Gackt and he wants to rescue him,” Mir explained. The guy laughed hysterically. I marched up the steps and got in his face.

 

“It's not a joke. Can you help or not?” I said sternly. He nodded.

 

“Yeah sorry. I'm Seungho, a Mystical Neophyte,” he said.

 

“Neophyte? Do you know any spells yet?” I asked.

 

“Not particularly... but I do know the location of something that may be able to help you out, come on in,” he said, leading us into the house. The walls were cracked and there was trash all over the place. He dusted off a couple of chairs and gestured for Mir and I to sit before leaving the room. He returned with a large book.

 

“What's that?” I asked as Seungho skimmed the table of contents.

 

“It's an encyclopedia of magical artifacts. In order to enter the Underworld and save your brother, you're gonna need two things. A Demonblade, and a Warp Seal,” Seungho explained.

 

“Okay, I've heard of a Demonblade. It's a sword that can cut through Demonic flesh... but what's a Warp Seal?” I wondered.

 

“A Warp Seal is a small amulet that allows transportation to any place, whether it be in this world or the next. You'll have to take Mir with you once you arrive in the Underworld, since only Demons can get through the gate to Gackt's palace,” Seungho said.

 

“Where can we find these objects?” Mir asked, leaning back in his chair.

 

“There's a Mystical Elder in Ridgeview that crafts Warp Seals. You should go see her first. And as for the Demonblade... I'm afraid you'll have to steal it from a man named Byunghee,” Seungho said softly.

 

“Wait... Byunghee? As in Jung Byunghee? He's the best Slayer in history, there's no way we could steal from him,” I said.

 

“We don't have a choice. Let's just go see this Elder, and we'll cross that bridge when we come to it,” Mir suggested. I sighed.

 

“Thanks for all your help Seungho... I really appreciate it,” I said, shaking his hand.

 

“No problem. Good luck Joon,” he replied as Mir and I walked back outside. As we were driving down the street, the silence was killing me. I couldn't bear it for the entire drive.

 

“Mir... you like music?” I asked.

 

“Doesn't everyone?” he said. I the radio and the “Smoky Girl” song was on. I remembered how much Rain hated it and tried to change the station. Mir grabbed my hand.

 

“Wait a second... I love this song,” he said. I smiled and focused on the road.

 

Maybe the drive to Ridgeview wouldn't be so boring after all...