Breaking and Entering

Brothers in Arms

The mansion was enormous.  There was a huge fence surrounding it.

 

“I still can’t believe Sooyoung let you borrow her apple… Are you sure this is going to work?” Mir said.

 

“It has to. It’s our only shot,” I slipped the apple into my pocket and tried to climb the fence.

 

“Joon wait!”

 

I stopped before I touched it.

 

“What’s wrong?” I asked.  Mir touched the fence and there was a loud popping sound.  His body started to shake and he released his grip.  The fence was electrified.  The palm of his hand was burned… but it healed quickly.

 

“That would’ve killed you,” he said.  Mir saved my … again.

 

“Well how are we supposed to get over it?”

 

“I can jump over it… If you let me carry you,”

 

“Carry me? Seriously?”

 

“Do you want to get in or not?”

 

I sighed.

 

“Fine,” I mumbled. Mir picked me up bridal style.

 

 

“You better hold on tight spider monkey,” he said in an overly serious tone.

 

“I should kill you for that,”

 

“Trust me… I already wish I hadn’t said it,” he said, shaking his head and leaping over the fence.  He put me down and we snuck up to the front door.

 

“Alright, let’s try to be quiet, I don’t wanna use the apple if I don’t have to,” I whispered.   Mir nodded as I began to pick the lock.  The door swung open slowly, revealing the dark, quiet house.   We walked in and Mir stopped in his tracks.  I could hear a strange sizzling sound as Mir’s skin turned red.  His skin started to smoke and burn.

 

“AAAAH! JOON! THERE MUST BE A DEMON PROTECTION SPELL ON THE HOUSE! I CAN’T MOVE!” He screamed in agony.  I pushed him through the door and his skin stopped burning. 

 

“You tried to bring a demon into my home,” said a low raspy voice.  I turned around and there he was…. Jung Byunghee.

 

“Look, I don’t want a fight… I just need your demonblade,” I said.  He raised an eyebrow, and without any warning he pulled out a gun and shot me in the shoulder.  I fell to the ground. 

 

“Stop! Don’t hurt him! We’re trying to kill Gackt!” Mir screamed from outside.

 

“I don’t care if you are orchestrating the second coming of Christ… You should’ve never broke into my house,” Byunghee snapped as he aimed his gun at me.  I pulled the apple from my pocket and felt the energy flow through my body.  Byunghee flew into the wall and the ground started shaking.

 

Water pipes broke through the walls and the windows shattered.

 

“Joon stop, that’s enough!” Mir yelled.

 

“I… I can’t.  It’s too powerful,” I whispered.  The walls started to cave in and the ground began to crack. 

 

“Prohibere hac amentia,”

 

At the utterance of those words… everything stopped and Sooyoung appeared from the shadows.  She held out her hand and the apple floated over to her.  Byunghee dropped to the ground, unconscious.

 

“Sooyoung, I… I’m sorry, I couldn’t control it,” I said, holding my injured shoulder.

 

“Of course you couldn’t Joon. I didn’t expect you to be able to control it,” She said with a smile.

 

“Then why did you give it to me?” I asked.

 

“Because It had to be done… I didn’t want you risking the fate of the world in a fight with Jung Byunghee,” she replied, holding out her hand. My shoulder started to sting as the bulled worked its way out of my skin and the wound healed.

 

“Thank you Sooyoung… I owe you a lot,” I said.

 

“Yeah, you do.  Now go find the demonblade, it should be in the armory,” she said, disappearing before my eyes.

 

I walked around the enormous house until I found the armory.  There were so many incredible weapons… rocket launchers, sunlight grenades and much more.  The demonblade was in a glass display case.  I grabbed it and decided to take some other stuff as well. Like the enchanted armor and some charmed bullets.

 

“You got it… great,” Mir said as I walked outside.  He helped me carry the armor.  We loaded up the trunk and got back in the car.

 

I just sat there for a moment… letting the situation sink in; I was about to go to the underworld and fight the demon overlord.

 

“Joon… there’s something I want to tell you,” Mir said softly.

 

“What is it?”

 

“I’m glad I got this opportunity… you know, the chance to meet you,”

 

“And why is that?”

 

“You’ve shown me that human’s aren’t all bad… some of them are actually inspiring… Like you.  You’ve completely put your life on hold to save someone you love… I respect you for that,”

 

 I smiled.

 

“Wow… thanks Mir. You’ve shown me a lot too. I shouldn’t always judge someone based on what they are or what they look like. Because not all demons are from the underworld, and not all angels are from heaven,” I replied.  Mir smiled… he didn’t smile often, but it was nice to see.  I started the car and we rode off into the night… to begin preparation for what could possibly be the last mission we’d ever go on.