The Vampire Purge

Brothers in Arms

I rested my head on the seat as the music blasted. My brother, Rain kept glancing over at me.

 

“You okay?” he asked, turning the music down.

 

“Yeah I'm fine... just thinking,” I replied.

 

“About?”

 

I shifted in my seat and looked through the window into the fog.

 

“You remember how you said that this was our last job?” I said.

 

“Yeah, why?” Rain pushed the hair from his face and flipped on the turn signal.

 

“Well what if we don't make it back?” I wondered, turning to face him.

 

“Well well well, is the fearless Joon actually afraid of something?” He said with a smile.

 

“No! I'm just... curious,”

 

Rain looked into my eyes as we stopped at a red light.

 

“Look Joon, everything is gonna be fine. We've beaten Werewolves, Gargoyles, Dark Elves... even a dragon!”

 

“What? There was no dragon!”

 

“Okay... so there wasn't a dragon, but you see my point! Taking out these vampires will be a piece of cake,” he assured me.

 

“I'd be more inclined to believe you if we weren't about to go up against every Vampire on the east coast,” I replied, sinking down into my seat as the light turned green.

 

“This summit could be our only chance to wipe these bastards out,”

 

I sighed heavily.

 

We pulled up to the abandoned mall. According to what some people who lived in this town had said, there was a string of grisly murders near this mall, so people stopped going. Based on the accounts, vampires were definitely to blame. For the past few months Rain and I had been doing surveillance, trying to find out whatever we could. We managed to find out that this mall was going to be the meeting place for the 2013 Vampire summit, in which all the Vamps in the region would come here to discuss... whatever the hell they discussed.

 

“Okay, so are all the bullets made of silver? Last thing we need is a worthless shot. Even one could be deadly,” Rain said as we opened the trunk.

 

“Yeah, I double checked. All of them are silver, so are the knives,” I handed him his gun.

 

“Good, now put this on,” he gave me a leather jacket. I slipped it on. It was snug, but still comfortable.

 

“Is this fashion related?” I wondered.

 

“Partially... but we're wearing these mainly because vampires have trouble biting through leather. They'll get through eventually, but if they do bite us it'll give us some time to shake them off,” he replied. We put some garlic cloves in our backpacks and then Rain pulled a box from the trunk before closing it.

 

“What's that?” I asked as we approached the building.

 

“Just a little insurance. Now... let's do this,” Rain said as we opened the door.

 

It was almost pitch black and incredibly silent inside. We attached the small flashlights to our guns. Rain motioned for us to split up and I nodded. I walked as quietly as possible, pointing my gun around every corner. I came to a clothing store and retrieved the garlic from my backpack. I carefully placed a small piece of garlic on every sprinkler. Before I left I pulled the gate down halfway over the entrance.

 

I walked straight ahead, checking behind me more frequently than I should. The silence was deafening, and then I heard a strange crunching sound coming from the overturned hot dog stand. I took a deep breath and shined my flashlight on it. There it was; the slim, pale skinned monstrosity. It's arms and legs were bone thin and it's lower jaw was stretched and bursting with long yellow teeth. Fortunately for them, vampires only took this form while feeding, or else they'd never be able to blend in.

 

“Well hello there,” I said playfully. It released a low, disgruntling growl that echoed around the entire area. I fired one shot, leaving a smoking hole in it's shoulder. Blue light erupted from it as the vampire convulsed violently before turning to ash. The darkness itself seemed to move around me and the growls and snarls got louder and louder. I took off running back toward the clothing store. I looked over my shoulder and saw hundreds of them chasing after me. The way they moved was strange. They seemed to run like dogs, but their limbs were so thin, they were terribly off balance.

 

I slid under the half closed gate and pulled it down completely. I knew the barrier wouldn't hold for long. The vampires clawed at the gate as I fired shot after shot, eventually emptying my clip. I reloaded about five times before they finally broke through. I knew I'd killed at least fifty of them, but there were still tons of them. I waited for them to fill the room before running to the back and pulling the fire alarm. An ear splitting buzzing filled the air as the sprinklers activated, drenching everything in the room with garlic water. Every vamp in the room moaned and shrieked as their skin sizzled and burned. They dropped like flies, allowing me to esacpe.

 

I ran down to the food court were Rain was dealing with a group of vamps. His gun was in the corner and he was cutting them down with his silver knife. Even though I'd seen him in action a million times, his skill never ceased to amaze me. I noticed a vamp creeping up behind him.

 

“Rain get down!” I shouted. Without even thinking, he dropped to the floor, allowing me to take the shot. Seconds later we were completely surrounded. I had no idea how we were supposed to get out of this. We took cover inside of the ice cream stand.

 

“Good times right?” Rain joked.

 

“Not exactly,” I replied, popping up to take a shot and quickly crouching again.

 

“Actually, I was kinda hoping this would happen,” he said, glancing down at his watch.

 

“What? Why?” I asked, taking another shot.

 

“We have about thirty seconds to get to the entrance,” Rain said quickly before jumping up and running through the huge crowd of vampires, slicing them as he went. I was hot on his heels. Our jackets were protecting us from their claws and the quick bites. Seconds later we were free of the crowd and the entrance was in sight. The next thing I knew I was crashing into the ground with a vamp on top of me. I held it back as best I could as I shoved my gun into its stomach and fired my last shot.

 

Nothing...

 

I panicked as the vamp started to overpower me. In a flash, the vampires head was rolling on the floor, and Rain was helping me up. We ran through the door as quickly as possible and into the parking lot. There was a surge of heat and the ground shook as a massive explosion destroyed the mall. My mind flashed back to Rain taking the box from the trunk... he was always prepared.

 

“You okay?” he asked through heavy breaths. I wiped the sweat from my forehead as I stared into the flaming ruins of the mall.

 

“Yeah I'm fine,” I replied. He pinched my ear.

 

“That's for almost getting killed back there! I told you to check all the bullets,” Rain lectured.

 

“Sorry...” I said softly as we got into the car.

 

“It's fine... you won't ever make that mistake again. Hey you hungry? I could definitely go for some cheesecake,” he said as we pulled off into the night.