Disappearing Act

Brothers in Arms

The light coming through the window woke me from my sleep. I sat up and looked around the small motel room. Rain's bed was messy as usual... but there was something strange about it. I slipped out of my bed as quietly as I could and tiptoed over to my backpack. I grabbed my knife and snuck up to the bed. In one movement I pulled the covers back and dropped the knife when I saw a topless, sleeping girl her thumb.

 

“Really Rain?” I mumbled. She turned over and smiled at me.

 

“Hey there... you look different from last night. Then again, I was pretty wasted,” she said with a chuckle.

 

“Um, I'm not... ugh nevermind,” I shook my head and walked into the bathroom to take a quick shower. After that I double checked my bag to make sure all of my stuff was there. I heard the door open and saw Rain looking at the sleeping girl with a confused expression.

 

“Who the hell... oh wait now I remember,” he said. I rolled my eyes.

 

“Did you check us out?” I asked.

 

“Yeah, let's hit the road kid,” he replied. We got into his car and drove off. About an hour later we were almost back in our hometown. Our plan was to meet up with our clan of Slayers and celebrate our victory over the vampires. It was annoyingly quiet in the car so I the radio.

 

“This song ... how many times are they gonna say smoky girl?” Rain said.

 

“I like this song!”

 

“Whatever,” he said, switching the station. He started banging his head to the guitar.

 

Darling you got to let me know, should I stay or should I go

 

I smiled as Rain sang along as loud as he could. Fifteen minutes passed before the road started to get really rough and rocky.

 

“What's going on?” I wondered. Before Rain could respond the car stopped. We looked up and there was a man in front of the car. He was wearing a black hood that completely covered his face.

 

“Who the hell-” Rain couldn't even finish the sentence before we were both thrown through the doors and onto the hard pavement. My body felt like it was completely paralyzed. The man walked over to me and removed his hood. He had reddish brown hair and light blue eyes. He smirked at me.

 

“You aren't the one I'm looking for. It's funny, I've heard that you two look alike, but this is uncanny,” he said softly.

 

“You know me?” I asked, still straining to move.

 

“Of course. You're Lee Joon, famed monster hunter. You and your brother are the talk of the town in the Underworld. I really wish we could chat more, but I'm here for Rain,” he said as he started to walk away.

 

“Who are you?”

 

“I am called Gackt by most,”

 

My heart started racing. I had only heard stories of the demon known as Gackt. Apparently he was the most powerful demon in hell; capable of just about anything. Only one question ran through my mind... Why did he want Rain?

 

He curled his fingers and Rain started floating toward him.

 

“Let us go... now” Rain demanded. Gackt laughed.

 

“I'd love to see if you can keep that attitude when you're being tortured by my minions,”

 

“Yeah? And I'd love to see if you can keep acting like you're the when I shove my foot up your !” Rain replied. Gackt shook his head.

 

“I should kill you both right here and now. Unfortunately, for reasons beyond my control, that is impossible at the moment,” Gackt said, shooting me an evil glance. I felt helpless as I watched them both disappear into thin air.

 

“RAIN!” I screamed. It felt like a thousand pound weight was lifted from my chest and I instantly regained control of my body. I paced back and forth. What the hell was I supposed to do now!?