✽Prologue✽

✽Hidden Beauty✽

 

(Bora's POV)
 
"Ugh, there comes that ugly one again," I heard Gikwang comment as I walked with my head down in the hallway of my school. I was only in 7th grade, but my school was so clique-y. There were the popular groups with names like B2ST, SISTAR, APink. And then there were just people who were plain popular on their own, like Wooyoung or IU.
Was I in any of the groups? Nope. Why?
"YOU'RE SO FREAKIN UGLY!" Gikwang shouted at me. I shot him a glare which only made him laugh and bicker me more. 
Yes, people, and by people I meant Gikwang, always called me ugly, fat, hideous. And so that was how I thought of myself. Worthless. I had short, choppy hair with the dorkiest bangs I had ever seen. I had lots of acne, a new pimple showing up every day. My eyes were small, red from always crying, and last and least: my body weight. I wore plus sizes, loose shirts, and never anything pretty. I would just be mocked more for it. My cheeks were large, my body size was large, and I admit, I WAS what people would call, "fat". I just wished I could be pretty...
No. I didn't wish to be pretty. That wasn't what I wanted. All I wanted was to show Gikwang a lesson. I wanted to show him how strong I was.
"You obese ß1t€h! Get out of this country! Leave!" Gikwang shouted. 
So that was what I did. 
 
[3 Years Later, in America]
 
I looked at myself in the mirror. All of my work... All of my hard work... It had definitely paid off.
I examined my perfectly clear skin. My gorgeous tan. And I flashbacked to when Gikwang said, "Excuse me, you have a cherry on your nose. No? Oh wait, it's just another one of Bora's pimples. FALSE ALARM!"
I was wearing a black dress that stuck to my body. I would have never even considered wearing such a thing back then. But I could now. I saw my skinny waist, my long, thin, legs. And I remembered Gikwang saying, "Bora! Stop stuffing pillows in your stomach! You'll explode!"
I had on the perfect eyeliner and my eyelashes and grown longer naturally. Gikwang had used to say, "Bora, this is no time for sleep! Stop closing your eyes! Oh wait they're open... I couldn't even tell..."
And my cheeks... My cheekbones stood out strongly and I had a perfect, small face. They used to be so bloated... And Kikwang would call me an overweight chipmunk.
And lastly, I saw my hair. My long, silky hair. It had grown quite long. It used to be short, uneven and rough with unusual bangs. Now I had silky smooth long hair that I dyed a mix of deep red and dramatic purple. I smiled at myself.
It had took a lot of hardship to become what I was now. I had gone to the gym every day. I had refrained from ALL sweets for 3 whole years. I exercised every single spare moment I had. And I became beautiful. I also thanked puberty. 
It wouldn't have been possible without the proper determination and motivation. But I had it. Every time I wanted to stop, I remembered my miserable life in Korea. I remember the name calling, the tears, the bullying. And I remembered that hateful smirk of Gikwang. The one he wore every day, and the one that drove me insane. I would get my revenge in him...
"Bora?" my friend Chelsea asked. "So you're really going back to Korea?" 
"Yeah..." I said. "I have an issue that I need to deal with." 
"Okay... But you'll visit America often, right?" Chelsea asked. I smiled and nodded. 
"I'm going to miss you, baby girl..." she said, hugging me. I hugged her as tightly as an could, and Chelsea left my house.
I would go back to Korea for my Junior year and stay there if my dad's job went well. He worked for a big company so we were rich now... My life was rewarding me after such hard times.
I would leave for Korea the next morning, and school would start the day after.
"Oh Gikwang... You're going to be sorry..."