04 The New Guest

The Black Grape
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"Yes, very good." Mr. Lee's slightly surprised voice echoed from behind the lecture room. Kyungmi was in another session with him again and was doing a pretty good job at differentiating half of the wine glasses, pretty big improvement considering that she couldn't even tell them all apart in the very beginning.

This was because yesterday, after the brief meeting with Chanyeol in the garden, she had done nothing but study on the lists of grape varieties Mr. Lee had given her. She thought that if she did a good job with the wine sessions, then her mother wouldn't be so suspicious of her that she needed to have Siwon's hawk eyes watching over her every time. She really wanted to get the evil man away from her as quickly as possible, he knew way too much.

"Now, have a go at this one." Mr. Lee tapped on the mouth of a wine glass gently with his pen. Kyungmi picked it up, sniffed it and took a sip.

"Mmm," She thought, trying her best to describe the taste in her head and compare it with what she had studied, it had hints of berry, plum, and currant. What was that wine that had those three? ".... Um… Merlot?"

"Excellent!" Mr. Lee let out a fantastical laugh and scribbled something on his notes. "Well done, Kyungmi! Well done! Right, this session will end now. You did a marvelous job today, if I do say so myself, your mother and father would be pleased with the results." He nodded vigorously as he said this, closing his notebook and putting it in his jacket. He turned to Siwon, "Well, I shall leave the rest to you, Siwon. Best be on my way, till next session, Kyungmi."

With the door closing and Mr. Lee's footsteps moving farther and farther away, Kyungmi's mood was becoming equally brighter. She had been praised, by Mr. Lee no less, and she felt good about herself. She was getting jumpy in her seat that she had almost forgotten Siwon the Devil was still in the room with her. She immediately controlled herself and glanced at the dark eyes that were staring straight into hers.

"Well done today, my lady." Siwon said with tight lips. He tried to force a smile, which was horrible to look at. "It seems you have finally found your footing in the family business."

Kyungmi smiled slyly, "It would seem so." She stood up and left the room, before Siwon would try to bite back with a sinister insult. As she closed the door behind her, she grinned to herself and almost skipped her way back to her room, but a bit of laughter and talking from a room along the way stopped her in her tracks. She heard Luhan and someone else in the room talking, with the clinking of glass echoing from time to time. She had to pass by the room in order to get to her destination, and she hoped her black sheep status would offer her the power of invisibility. She didn't want to be in-between a guest and a member of her family, because she knew she would be the of the jokes. She took a breath and made her way.

"Oh, Kyungmi!" Loitering Luhan, as Jongdae would call him, lifted his head up and gave a prince charming smile. "Come over here for a second, will you?"

Kyungmi mentally cringed. Great, let the embarrassing harassment commence. She thought as she inched her way slowly in the room. The room was an open kind, used for greeting guests and chatting. It had two sofas facing each other, with a fancy wooden table in the middle. Luhan was sitting on one sofa and his guest, a boy his age was sitting across him, a leg over the other. The guest had pale blonde hair combed neatly to one side. He had a tall nose and brown eyes. His skin was quite tan but it kind of looked good on him. He had a crooked smile on and was eyeing Kyungmi like some kind of exotic furniture. Kyungmi didn't like him already.

"Is this the rumored black sheep you were talking about, Lu?" The guest raised an eyebrow and motioned his hand to Kyungmi.

"This is the one," Luhan grabbed Kyungmi by the arm and pulled her down to sit, "This is Kyungmi. Kyungmi, my friend, Kim Jongin. His family's into the wine business too, Merlot's their choice though."

"Pleasure to meet you." Kyungmi replied deadpan. Merlot. Wasn't that the grape she had picked out just a while ago? What a coincidence. She heard Jongin chuckle smugly.

"She's kind of cute, man." Jongin commented, pulling one leg down and leaning to get a good look at Kyungmi. "She's my type."

Luhan let out a laugh. Kyungmi tried to hold back a hurl. What does he mean, I'm his type? Is he crazy? What a brat. Kyungmi tried to stand but Luhan’s hand stopped her.

"Hey, hey. Don’t take it personally, Mi. He was just fooling around." Luhan spoke in-between chuckles, forcing Kyungmi back down to sit.

"Right." Kyungmi kept her deadpan look on. She wouldn't let any of them pull her down, not now, when she was finally getting a footing over everything wine-related.

Jongin was still staring at her, "So, Kyungmi. How're your lessons going? Luhan tells me you're having a difficult time."

Kyungmi, who really wanted to get back to her room, replied flatly, "I'm doing better now, thank you for asking. Now, if you'll excuse me--"

"Wait a minute," Luhan now stood up along with Kyungmi. "Jongin and I were thinking of going around the city, how about joining us? You just finished a session didn't you?"

Kyungmi didn't want to spend another minute with the new guest who was still staring at her with a smirk on his face, but this could give her a chance to visit Park's Books without raising suspicion. She could even leave a note by the door for Chanyeol to read, explaining why she can't visit them regularly from now on. Yes, she was better at writing things than explaining it anyway. She gave a curt nod.

"Great," Luhan clapped his hand on Kyungmi's shoulder. "Let's get going then."

 

A day with her brother and Jongin walking around the city was something Kyungmi would never have imagined. But it was happening, right before her eyes. Anyway, it was bad enough with Jongin around, sneaking a glance once in a while at Kyungmi, but it was made even worse with Siwon following right behind Kyungmi. It seems that her mother wouldn't even trust her to have a walk with another Mae around.

The strange group had reached Topman, a men's clothing store. Luhan mentioned he wanted to get a couple of new shirts so as he and Siwon were busy picking out a couple of shirts to buy, Kyungmi decided to sit down at the corner of the shop, just to escape any questions from Luhan like "Hey, Mi. What do you think of this?" or "Which one is better?" because she would have no answer to any of that and will be made fun of eventually. So as she sat down, looking outside the clear glass window at the shoppers around, she felt someone walking up towards her. She looked up and saw Jongin leaning on the wall, a few inches away from her. The close proximity made Kyungmi feel uncomfortable.

"Why keep to yourself over here, Kyungmi?" Jongin asked, putting his hands in the pockets of his leather coat. "Don’t you want to help your brother pick out some shirts?"

"No thank you." Kyungmi resumed to looking back outside the glass.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter