10 Brothers

The Black Grape
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“If it isn’t Loitering Luhan,” Jongdae called from the end of the hallway.

Luhan had been staring outside the window of the second floor and Jongdae couldn’t help but notice him. “Is there something you want, Jongdae?”

“Just curious why my younger brother would find the window so interesting like this, I guess?” Jongdae smirked, lifting an eyebrow.

Luhan chuckled lightly, not taking his eyes off the window. “Always the good joker, aren’t you?”

“I’m also pretty good at experimenting,” Jongdae shrugged his shoulders. “Have you tasted my new concoction yet? It’s got this mysterious feel to it and--”

“Mysterious,” Luhan mumbled nonchalantly. “Like Kyungmi.”

Jongdae’s eyes widened slightly and he couldn’t suppress another crooked smile, “What’s this? Missing our baby sister already?”

Luhan smiled tauntingly, “Says the person who just came from Kyungmi’s bedroom.”

Jongdae blinked and laughed before raising his hands like a form of surrender. “I’ve been caught. Well, I was just thinking that she must’ve gone back, you know?”

“Mhmm...” Luhan looked down at the back garden of the estate. “Hard to believe Kyungmi would do such a thing. What happened to her?”

“She’s the epitome of an enigma.”

Luhan smiled to that. It’s true though, Kyungmi has always been rather different from them – too different, almost. For his part, as the third son and the brother with the closest age to Kyungmi, one would think that they would be the closest – but that has never been the case. Kyungmi was closes with Jongdae at the very least – or more accurately speaking – she was closest with her books.

Luhan never questioned her love for literature, unlike Jongdae or Yifan who would make fun or criticize her for it, respectively. He didn’t see what was wrong with it but at the same time, he didn’t see what was so good about it. What was the point of having knowledge with words if you can’t communicate them?

Then, a little rustling caught his attention and he blinked several times to check if he wasn’t dreaming. “Is that... Kyungmi?”

“Huh?” Jongdae raised an eyebrow, “Luhan, I know you miss Killjoy Kyungmi but mistaking her for a shrub is just--”

“Jongdae, just get over here and look down there.”

Jongdae did as he was told and rubbed his eyes. “Kyungmi! What – What is she doing there?”

Luhan had the same thoughts running in his mind as well, “This isn’t good. If any of the servants catch her...” She’d be screwed by umma, no doubt.

“I’ll pick her up and bring her to my room.” Jongdae said, patting Luhan on the shoulder. “You stay here and scout the area. Make sure no one sees her on this side, just in case. If you see anyone, slip this in my room and I’ll get Kyungmi out of here. That idiot--” Jongdae trailed off, handing Luhan a slip of paper that had wine stains on them, possibly one of the many notes Jongdae made for his experiments. Luhan seemed shocked. He had never heard Jongdae go through a round of serious planning. He sounded like Yifan but nicer. Kyungmi always made the three of them do unnecessary and surprising things.

As Jongdae went to fetch Kyungmi, who by no was probably in the kitchen tiptoeing her way to the hallways, Luhan walked along to make sure no one else was on the floor. He checked the greeting room, the three bedrooms, the smoking room – all were clear. As he finished this, he returned back to the window where he saw Jongdae dragging a confused Kyungmi to the direction of his room.

“Huh,” Luhan mumbled to himself, observing the pair. “It really is her.” He eyed Kyungmi who looked like she was going to die any minute. Then, out of the corner of his eye, he saw Taecyeon’s figure climbing up the stairs.

God, Taecyeon! He turned back to Jongdae and Kyungmi who were almost at the room, but he knew he couldn’t intervene in the situation. If Kyungmi saw him, she would probably go into full-blown hysteria and would blow the whole thing. So he stayed hidden and watched as Jongdae pushed her in his room and chatted with Taecyeon.

After a few minutes, Taecyeon left in a hurry, looking pale and stressed. He figured Jongdae must’ve threatened him with his experiments. He stepped out of his hiding spot and turned to Jongdae who saw him from the corner of his eyes.

Jongdae gave a quick nod and a smile, Luhan returned it. Then, the second eldest entered the room and Luhan decided it to be best to watch the stairs.

“Hm,” Luhan hummed. “I could sit by the living room, it’s got a clear view of things.” He made his way to the living room when he saw Siwon and his mother in the lounge area downstairs from the second floor. They looked like they were having a serious conversation and he didn’t like the looks of it. Did either of them see Kyungmi? He thought as he sneakily hid behind a pillar and tried to listen to the conversation.

“it would appear that she’s made another unnecessary move, my lady.” Siwon spoke darkly.

“That little...” Mrs. Mae was biring her nail, something Luhan had never seen his mother do. His mother was always prim and proper, to see her look so scared – so anxious... “In any case, Siwon. I want you to find her quickly. It won’t do us any good if she’s out of our reach.”

“I understand, my lady.” Siwon lowered his head.

“Do what you must,” Mrs. Mae crossed her arms. “She thinks she can escape me, just like that person.” She gave an irritated sigh, “Why must I...?”

“It was never your fault, my lady, remember that.” Siwon placed a hand on his chest. “I can assure you that I will find her. I will find the young lady.”

Luhan silently gasped. What the... Siwon and his mother – what kind of conversation was that? What’s going on? But he heard it right. Siwon knows of Kyungmi’s disappearance, well, it’s to be expected coming from the head butler. But does Siwon know what happened to her? How?

“Siwon,” His mother’s voice broke his train of thought, “Do you know where she is?”

“I might have an idea.” Siwon had a very dark smile on and Luhan’s spine tingled and the hairs at the back of his neck stood. What was this feeling? But he didn’t have the time to dwell on the cold feeling. Siwon was making his way to the door to look for Kyungmi.

“He knows,” Luhan whispered to himself. “He knows more than we do. I have to tell Jongdae.” He made his way to Jongdae’s room, folding the slip of paper with the stains and slipping it under the door, then he m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter