17 All's Good

The Black Grape
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Chanyeol was beside himself by the time he reached home. Never in his wildest dreams had he imagined Kyungmi to return his feelings. He was just so out of it that he didn't complain when his mother made him work on the farthest set of books there was in the store. This, of course, was quite a shock to the Parks.

"Did something happen to him? He's been smiling nonstop." Mrs. Park asked her husband worriedly who, on the other hand, thought nothing much of it.

"But Chanyeol's always smiling nonstop."

"Not like this." She insisted, hissing by his ear. "He's really happy. Do you think it has something to do with--"

"Kyungmi?" Mr. Park finished and they both turned to their son at the same time, wondering what on earth had happened.

Still, their confusion did little to sedate the giddy feeling he was having inside. He can't wait to meet Kyungmi once more, have her in his arms, smell the scent of her ebony hair and maybe give a chaste kiss on her lips... The thoughts were making him red by the minute and he was happy he was dusting off the shelves alone at the back of the shop. Things were just going well, until the bell rang in the shop and a familiar voice echoed from the front. One that didn't bode too well for Chanyeol's part.

"She's not here?" Came his voice and Chanyeol dropped the feather duster and scrambled off the ladder. He walked to the front and was eye to eye with Jongin. "Oh."

"What're you here for?" Chanyeol growled, remembering not too fondly the last time Jongin was here. "I don't seem to remember you having a taste for middle class bookstores."

"Chanyeol--" Mr. Park raised his hand to calm his son down but Jongin made a move with his own to stop him.

"No, it's all right. We're... acquainted." Jongin eyed the elder in the room before turning to his son. "Mind taking this outside?"

"Sure." Chanyeol said, removing his dusty gloves and throwing them on the counter. Mrs. Park was quick to react.

"Chanyeol, what are you doing?"

"We're just going to talk, umma." Chanyeol reassured her with a gentle smile and he walked out of the store, Jongin right in front of him. Once outside, Jongin turned around and pocketed his hands.

"So where is she?" He asked out of the blue that Chanyeol wanted to take back what he said about just going to talk. Instead, he wanted to ram his fist into Jongin's face.

"Don't bother her anymore." He growled and Jongin raised an eyebrow.

"Why's that?" He said.

Chanyeol hesitated to say exactly why because he's not sure how Kyungmi would react if he told Jongin, of all people. He pressed his lips tight. He would have to control himself. He knew Kyungmi was having it hard back home, the least he could do was make things easier for her by driving this guy out of the way.

"That's none of your business." Chanyeol said through gritted teeth. "Just leave her alone, got it?"

"Touchy." Jongin shook his head, looking away, bored. "I'm just worried about her, that's all. The last time I met with her, she was in really deep waters, you know? The least I could do is check up on her... see if she's okay..."

"She's fine." Chanyeol took a daring step forward and Jongin narrowed his eyes.

"And what makes you say that, dust bunny?" Jongin hissed. "Just because you share a few books and literary interests doesn't mean that you're meant for her."

"And what makes you think you're meant for her?" Chanyeol gripped at his hands tightly, them. Control. Control yourself. He kept chanting to himself.

Jongin smirked. "That's none of your business." He mirrored back and pushed against Chanyeol's shoulder with his own as he walked past him. "Give my regards once more to your parents, will you? They seem nice... definitely better than you."

"Leave my parents alone." Chanyeol turned around but was only met with a finely suited back.

"Oh right," Jongin turned his head, just enough to catch his glare. "I'm sure you've noticed too, but Kyungmi's eyes do shine prettily, don't they?" He smirked before turning around, waving a lazy hand back at Chanyeol.

Chanyeol looked floored at those words and felt something burning inside of him. His balled up fists grew tighter by the minute and he realized that maybe, he was feeling too happy way too soon.

 

Kyungmi had reached her room, panting. She walked to her bed and sat down before shakily opening the letter. She didn't know why but if this contained some kind of answer as to why her parents were so protective over it then it must have been something pretty serious. She gulped before reading the crumpled letter:

Dearest Kyungmi,

How are you? It's been a while since we last exchanged letters. I miss you so much. It's been several years since I last saw you. How about a picture? I would love to see the face of my favorite grandchild. I hope you're not having a hard time with those wine talk of theirs brainwashing you. Stay strong, Kyungmi. I wanted to attach a basket of muffins with this letter, but Hwayoung said they'd spoil during the trip to Seoul.

Kyungmi giggled to herself, feeling the warm love of her grandmother from reading the letter. She really missed her. But as she read on, it was beginning to grow clear why her parents were so cautious...

Kyungmi, if anything happened to you recently, please don't do anything rash. I wouldn't know what to do. Word travels fast, dear, especially if you're involved with a family like yours. I know you're not one to make bad decisions, but please heed my advice, considering your circumstances.

She tilted her head confused. It's almost as if her grandmother has some kind of idea that something major is happening within her family... and just recently too. My circumstances? What does that mean?

Another thing, if that butler has done something terrible to you, hurt you in any way, please don't fight back. But I'm not asking you to back down either. I'm sure you're confused, Kyungmi, and I would like to tell you everything - why they would rather keep you locked up. But promise me, keep this to yourself.

Kyungmi gulped, but she didn't do so without wondering - how did her grandmother know about Siwon? Was there some kind of good Samaritan involved here?

Firstly, why your parents wouldn't allow you to see me. You must remember that Sunhwa and I have an unpleasant relationship. I disapproved of her marriage to the Mae family. It was horrible, not to have been able to see you - or any of the three Mae sons. But our relationship was as good as broken.

"Grandmother..." Her voice cracked as anger for her own mother began to grow by the minute.

The other reason is too sensitive to discuss in letter. If anything, I would like to do it in person. Is there any way for you to come over? Please, talk with Hwayoung about it. She doesn't have the slightest idea on what I had written in this letter, I kept it private from her. But, this reason needs to be heard by your own ears. I will be waiting, Kyungmi.

Love and strength,

Grandma

Kyungmi closed the letter, confused as she ever was. She thought she could get the answers she needed but all she got were more questions. She fell back on her bed, tired. "In any case, I guess I should find a way to see her." But the travel to her grandmother's house was long, almost a whole day. She closed her eyes in deep thought when a knock on the door nearly made her jump out of her skin.

"Y-Yes?" She croaked, getting up from her bed.

"My lady, you have a guest." Came the voice of a maid. Kyungmi raised a suspicious eyebrow.

A guest? Since when did I start having visitors? She thought worriedly. "Who is it?"

"A young man, my lady." The maid replied. "He's waiting in the room next door." And then she left, just as quickly as she had arrived. Kyungmi isn't exactly the favorite among the house servants anyway. She sighed, folding the letter and pocketing it in her dress as she stood up to fix herself. A guest is still a guest and according to Mae law, a guest should never be kept waiting. So she left her room and turned to the one next door. But when she got inside, she regretted having done so in the first place.

"Good afternoon." Came Jongin's smirk and sultry greeting. Kyungmi barely managed to contain her vomit.

"What are you doing here?" She spat, edgy as always. The last time she met with Jongin was outside Park's Books, saving her skin from Siwon's death stare.

"The least you could do was greet me back." Jongin sauntered around the chair he had been sitting on and straight into her space. She choked on the air she had been breathing and held her ground, eyeing every little move he made, of course, that only egged him on. "Like what you see, Kyungmi?"

The comment actually made her blush, mostly out of pure shock and resentment. "You!" She gasped, ready to turn on her heels. "I'm not here to be your entertainment. I don't owe you anything--"

"On the contrary, princess, you do." He said, taking her hand and effectively stopping her. She gasped, pulling it back. "Remember that time when I saved you from your grim reaper of a butler? Or was the moment too much for you?"

Kyungmi looked aside, hating to admit that she was really grateful for Jongin's appearance then. Jongin seemed to have understood her silence immediately and smiled at her once more. "I just want to talk, that's all."

"Talk about what?" Kyungmi murmured.

"How about that young dust bunny of yours in that little bookstore you always visit? What's going on with him?" Jongin's eyes suddenly darkened and Kyungmi felt ten times colder than she originally was.

Chanyeol? She thought and she must've looked really bad because Jongin was looking at her, irritated.

"So is he someone special?" He said, taking a step forward. Kyungmi took a step back.

"What do you mean?" She croaked, losing conviction in her voice. This prompted Jongin to press further.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter