13 Homebound

The Black Grape
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

A day had passed by with Chanyeol still barred from coming into about a meter near Kyungmi after their little incident near the bookshelves. Mrs. Park had complete control over his location now. If Kyungmi was in a room, he’d be in another and vice versa. His mother was furious and, if not for the fact that he was her own child, almost wanted him to be sent away for good. Once in a while she’d remember the accidental peep in her head and mutter out complaints while shaking her head about teenage boys and their broiling hot groins. Mr. Park never witnessed the scene itself but he could pretty much guess what happened with the way his wife was acting.

“Please excuse her, Kyungmi.” Mr. Park once patted her on the shoulder during dinner time. “She’s especially like that because it’s you involved.”

Kyungmi blushed, unable to actually get the incident out of her head. She had not seen Chanyeol since that time and honestly missed him (even though a couple of hours had just passed). She half- her chair to face the muttering Mrs. Park, whose back was facing her. “Um, Mrs. Park? Where is Chanyeol?”

There was a rattling sound from the kitchen and Mrs. Park turned to Kyungmi, her eyes wide. “E-Er… W-Well…”

Kyungmi had nothing else in her mind but that innocent question, but it seemed Mrs. Park read it otherwise.

“Good lord,” She said exasperatingly, “Look at what your son did! Now Kyungmi’s thinking about… god-knows-what! You see?! This is why we shouldn’t have let Chanyeol share his room in the first place!” She hissed at her husband who blinked at her sudden comment. Kyungmi blushed.

“No! No!” She jumped up from her seat, “I-I was just curious! I mean… It’s because I haven’t seen him since this morning so…”

Mrs. Park collected herself and was about to reply when the back door of the kitchen opened, revealing the tall son himself.

“I’m back,” Chanyeol drawled, carrying a bag of potatoes from the market. His supposed punishment. “Here you go, umma.” He turned around and had eye contact with Kyungmi who was frozen by the dining table.

“Chanyeol,” Kyungmi unconsciously spoke his name before looking down at her hands, embarrassed. Chanyeol pressed his lips tight and scratched the back of his head shyly. Mr. Park was about to let out a tiny chuckle at the two when his wife decided to step in between them and smack her son on the head.

“Park. Chanyeol.” She commanded, “Do not go near her today. Go to your room.”

“Wha—“

“Go to your room.”

Chanyeol frowned before trudging his way upstairs. He passed by Kyungmi and for a split second, the scent of his clothes that had been out in the city and under the sun tickled Kyungmi’s nose. She blushed even further but did nothing just to help Chanyeol out, especially since his mother had her hawk eyes on the two of them.

Today, in this bright early morning, she had awoken once again in Chanyeol’s bedroom with the owner nowhere in sight since last night. She guessed that his mother had made him sleep in the old couch by the bookshelves. She sighed as she went downstairs only to find Mrs. Park placing a truckload of rice and some bacon on her plate. Mr. Park was already by the counter. Chanyeol was still nowhere to be found. Kyungmi inched her way closer to Mrs. Park, worried that she may have given her more trouble for waking up a bit late and in time for opening up shop.

“G-Good morning,” She squeaked, holding onto the chair she was going to sit on, “I’m sorry I overslept.”

Mrs. Park gave her usual smile reserved especially for Kyungmi, “No worries, Kyungmi. Here, come and sit down. We all had breakfast already, though.”

“It’s all right.” Kyungmi sat down and stared at the mountain of steaming rice on her plate. Here we go again…She thought as she smiled up at Mrs. Park. Kyungmi ate her breakfast silently, wondering where Chanyeol was. But then again, she didn’t know what she was going to do when she would see him. The confession flashed back in her mind and she nearly choked on her rice. Stupid Chanyeol.

After finishing breakfast (which took a while considering the mountain of rice), she stood up and peeked from the room to watch Mr. and Mrs. Park happily chatting away at the counter. She thought back to Chanyeol’s words nights before. She couldn’t let such kind, wonderful people into her trouble and the fact that she was here at their house meant Chanyeol could hardly move around at peace.

“I guess,” Kyungmi whispered sadly to herself. “I guess it’s time to go home, then.” The thought was painful to think about, knowing that she would have to face reality back in the household again, knowing that she would leave this sanctuary and fantasy realm that kept her sane. But she had to do this. These wonderful people have done enough, and she was tired of running away.

She bit her lip as another thought ran across her mind, an image of Chanyeol following suit. “That too, huh.” She said, thinking about how she was going to reply to Chanyeol’s confession. She was going to have to think about. Chanyeol deserved that much.

Kyungmi ran up back to Chanyeol’s room to fix her things. She swung the bag over her shoulder and glanced at Chanyeol’s bed one last time. This is seriously embarrassing. She thought to herself as she made her way out of the room, back downstairs and then into the shop. Mr. Park was the first to notice her and the large bag over her shoulder.

“Kyungmi,” He sounded surprised, “Are you leaving already?”

Mrs. Park turned her head immediately, “R-Right now?”

Kyungmi looked down at her hands, “I’m sorry for suddenly doing this. But I think it’s about time I go back home.”

“But,” Mrs. Park had gone around the counter and held Kyungmi’s hands. “Don’t you think it’s a little too early in the morning for that? How about staying over till lunch?”

Kyungmi smiled, “I just… I really need to get back home and sort things out.”

There was a hanging silence before Mr. Park added, “Well, you seem to have made your decision. You’re welcome here any time, all right? You’re a part of the family as it is.”

Mrs. Park gave Kyungmi a big hug and Mr. Park smiled at her. He glanced at his wife before continuing, “It would be nice if you could tell Chanyeol this as well. It would be a shock to him to see you gone.”

Mrs. Park blinked her eyes and almost looked hesitantly at the door heading outside. She still seemed to have some reservations about letting the two of them meet. A hand on her shoulder from her husband made her think otherwise. “Chanyeol’s at the market, Kyungmi.” Mrs. Park added softly.

Kyungmi tried to hold back a blush, “Yes, I’ll go and look for him.” She lowered her head in a bow before making her way out of the shop. She turned around and gave them a wave which they happily returned.

She made her way down the path to the marketplace where she had a rough time getting around the canopies and stalls that were starting to open up shop. There weren’t that many people yet so it was easy to spot a certain boy sitting by the fountain in the middle of the marketplace. Kyungmi gripped the strap of her bag before taking a deep breath, approaching him.

“Chanyeol,” She called out, earning a little jolt from the male. Chanyeol turned around and blinked a couple of times.

“Sh-Should we be seen like this?” Chanyeol looked around, almost as if he was watching out for his mother with her hawk eyes. “Hang on… There should be at least a meter between us, right?”

Kyungmi stopped before she broke out a giggle, “It’s fine. I think you’re umma’s all right with it now.”

“Really?” Chanyeol’s eyes were wide. “Really.... She’s the type that doesn’t let go of grudges easily…”

Kyungmi stayed silent which prompted Chanyeol to look back at her with full attention. She looked past him at the fountain, at a stray leaf that was floating around.

“Sorry for not having been around lately.” Chanyeol spoke up with a smile on his face. “And for today as well. I still had some chores to do, well, supposedly... I’m just killing time, don’t tell umma I said that… and well, umma wouldn’t have wanted us to be together, you know.”

“I understand,” Kyungmi spoke softly and she still wasn’t looking at his face despite all the qualms she had earlier about missing him. Damn, what’s wrong with me?

Chanyeol noticed the anxiety rubbing off of her as he moved from his spot at the fountain, closing the gap between them. He took a good look at the bag Kyungmi was carrying before asking a question he already knew the answer to, “What’s wrong, Kyungmi?”

“Um,” Kyungmi nervously started. “I just… I just came here… to let you know that I’m leaving.”

Silence.

Kyungmi felt like it was an eternity that passed over them. She gulped before moving her eyes to meet a sad pair looking back at her.

“I see,” Chanyeol smiled sadly, “Well, I guess it can’t be helped.”

Kyungmi nodded, “I’d li

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter