14 Hit-or-Miss

The Black Grape
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Kyungmi stared on as Hwayoung held up a letter. “From grandmother?” She croaked out.

Hwayoung nodded and then held Kyungmi’s wrists, “Let’s read it in you room, unnie. Grandma said it’s quite lengthy and I’d want you to get comfortable.”

Kyungmi smiled, turning to get her bag, except that it wasn’t there anymore. Jongdae had retrieved it off the floor and was ready to follow the girls.

“To Killjoy Kyungmi’s room it is!” Jongdae pointed to the direction of the hallway with pride. Yifan slapped his forehead and Luhan chuckled blandly in the background.

“Y-You’re going to come with us?” Kyungmi blinked, surprised at the sudden turn of events.

“Can’t you give us girls some privacy?” Hwayoung crossed her arms.

“But it’s a letter from grandma~” Jongdae slumped his shoulders. “She never sends letters, well, not to us anyway.” He said, looking back at his brothers.

“I bet it’s because of you.” Yifan sighed, rubbing his temple. Jongdae chose to ignore that comment again.

“Well, shall we?” Luhan motioned with his hand and the group headed over to Kyungmi’s room. Kyungmi had missed her room but she never expected that she’d wind up back inside with the most unexpected group of people – her brothers. As always, the moment Jongdae placed Kyungmi’s bag down, he and Yifan started squabbling over possibly insignificant things while Luhan kept himself busy by looking around Kyungmi’s secret stash of books – not so secret anymore now that he had found them.

“You need to find a better place to hide them, Kyungmi.” Luhan shook a finger teasingly at her as he carried the box of books. “But I must admit, you read – a lot.”

Kyungmi furrowed her brows and grabbed the box along with the book Luhan was holding, stuffing it back in. “Just leave it alone.”

Luhan chuckled, “There’s no nee to be shy. I’m a lot more open-minded wih your passion than those two over there.” He thumbed out the two eldest sons who were at a distance. They had apparently forgotten about the letter Hwayoung had brought and were now bickering over wine-related topics much too advanced for Kyungmi’s literary mind. The only things she found familiar were Yifan’s famous curse words.

“God dammit, Jongdae.” Yifan spat. “Forget Traminette – that’ll taste like gritty with what we have now. Fix your ty twisted brain for once.”

“Where’s the risk?” Jongdae sighed exaggeratingly, rolling his eyes. “What’ll get the crowd going if there’s no... no... zzhang!”

“I’ll get the crowd going with my bare fists,” Yifan countered, up. “Speaking of fists, I should give you one right now since you’re so excited about all of this.”

“Patience, patience.” Jongdae took a step back. “Okay, let’s not go with Traminette in the assemblage. How about we go for Melody? Eh? Lightly peachy and has a refreshing acidity.”

“What’s with you and your bastard tastebuds? That’ll taste like piss with our assemblage, you . Besides, the Aperitif we have in stock is final, so don’t go changing up and making my goddamn work harder.”

Jongdae sighed, “That wasn’t very melodic to listen to at all.”

Yifan had to hold himself back from driving a fist straight at Jongdae’s face. Kyungmi looked at them like a lost sheep while Luhan snickered, absolutely amused.

“They’re at it again, huh?” Hwayoung piped up, her hands behind her back as she smiled sweetly at Kyungmi.

“Shouldn’t we try to stop them for once?” Kyungmi suggested with a chuckle, but a little tired from all of this bickering. She really wanted to rest, yes, but she felt that company was better too. However, this kind of company was making her think otherwise.

“That’ll be up to you then,” Luhan smiled.

Kyungmi shook her head, turning her attention to Hwayoung, “But it’s still good to see that you’re well.” She added as the younger cousin sat beside her. Today, just like any other day when Hwayoung visited, she looked very pretty. She wore a brown coat and a simple mint green satin dress that flowed gently with her every movement.

“You too,” Hwayoung hummed. “Well, I hope you are.”

“I haven’t seen you in a long time.” Kyungmi smirked a little, “Let me guess, suitors?”

“You guessed it.”

Kyungmi chuckled. She wondered why she hadn’t chosen a suitable fiance by this time. Her looks were enough to make dead trees come back to life, the opposite effect whenever Yifan passed by. “Why are your standards so high?”

“Why shouldn’t they be?” She smiled, her eyes gleaming over to the brother on Kyungmi’s other side. Luhan silently skimmed through the rest of Kyungmi’s book collection. “Unlike some people who could go along with just about anyone.”

“Who? Me?” Luhan turned his head to look at Hwayoung and Kyungmi innately whined in her head.

These two are also the bickering types as well! She cried in her head.

“I see you’re as humble and very docile towards the male population as always.” Luhan raised an eyebrow.

“I can see your point.” She smiled proudly, playing along. But of course, Hwayoung was anything but meek – the fact that she would reject all of her suitors without a second thought proved it. Kyungmi was a little envious at her ability to carry conversations with anybody, particularly with Luhan. She’s like the female version of him. “But on a serious note, it’s good to see all of you again. I’ve missed you all very much.”

“Best to cut the sappy part, Hwayoung. Dear Yifan can’t handle it.” Jongdae piped up from his argument with Yifan. The trio on the bed were a little surprised that the second son could still catch up to two conversations going on at the same time.

“Why you--!” Yifan bit back.

“What are you two talking about anyway?” Luhan asked, tilting his head. “I hope you’re not going to create another scandal with your experiments, Jongdae,” He added, eyes glancing to the other girl in the room who had stood up and was now strolling around, looking here and there.

“My experiments are life changing. Perfect. They are fundamental.” Jongdae placed a hand on his chest, full of pride.

“It’s all full of ed up—“

“Can you please fix your vocabulary some time soon?” Jongdae blocked his mouth with a sad look on his face. “It’s rude to the ladies.”

Kyungmi shrugged with a little laugh in response while Hwayoung had found her way to Kyungmi’s duffle bag, checking what she had brought with her, as if she thought she had gone into the mountains or something. “What did you do, unnie? Where did you go? What – oh.” She pulled out the black leather book Chanyeol had given her entitled The Club Dumas. “What a beautiful cover.” Hwayoung admired the gold lettering.

Suddenly, Kyungmi jumped off the bed where she sat with Luhan and grabbed the book, pulling it to her chest. “I-It’s a gift!”

“A gift?” Hwayoung tilted her head, surprised at the action when her eyes glimmered curiously, “Oh~ From who? So unnie finally has an admirer!”

“What?” All three brothers called out in unison.

“Youngie!” Kyungmi hissed, ignoring Yifan’s hard, Jongdae’s curious and Luhan’s pleased stares at her back.

“What’s the meaning of this?” Yifan asked out of the blue that Jongdae couldn’t stifle his laugh. The eldest turned his attention to him, “And why’d you laugh?”

“Look at you, being all protective.” Jongdae nudged the eldest at his side, “Afraid to finally see our baby sister go?”

“I swear Jongdae if you don’t keep your mouth shut, I will make sure all of your ty test tubes—“

“Who is it, Kyungmi?” Jongdae interrupted Yifan, ignoring his threat. He jumped over to the youngest, also to avoid Yifan strangling him. “Who’s this admirer of yours?”

“He must be pretty suave to buy you a book.” Hwayoung giggled, “That must mean he knows you well enough to know what you like.”

“No... it’s not bought...” Kyungmi blushed. “It’s... given to him by his dad and then... to me.”

“Whoa!” Jongdae grabbed Kyungmi’s shoulders. “An heirloom?! Killjoy Kyungmi’s no longer Killjoy Kyungmi anymore. Right now you’re Kick- Kyungmi.”

The room fell silent at Jongdae’s comment.

“Jongdae, I think you lack sleep.” Luhan patted his brother’s shoulder who whin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter