11 Confession

The Black Grape
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Later that day, Kyungmi did her share of work silently at the opposite side of the shop, away from Chanyeol. It carried on until night time, when the shop was ready to close. As Mr. and Mrs. Park went on about closing the shop, Kyungmi decided to head to Chanyeol’s room to do a bit of light reading.

“Maybe this’ll calm me down…” She said to herself as she got inside the messy room, picked up the black leather book and sat at the edge of Chanyeol’s bed, slowly reading her way into it.

She hadn’t read in a while, something she realized with a bit of laughter in her mind. She carefully held the pages of the book Chanyeol had given her, almost in a melancholic way.

Then, the door creaked and Chanyeol entered the room. Kyungmi lifted her eyes from the book and stared straight into his own. She missed them, in all honesty.

“Chanyeol,” Kyungmi spoke softly, unsure of how to greet him after not having a proper conversation with him in a while.

“You’re here,” Chanyeol said, walking to one side of the room, pulling his dusty gloves off and throwing them in a pile of other dusty gloves. “Umma was wondering where you were.”

“Oh, sorry…” Kyungmi looked back at her book, nervous. “I just… I wanted to read for a bit, that’s all.”

Chanyeol silently wiped his sweat and dirt off his face, still standing on his side of the room, not bothering to look at Kyungmi. Kyungmi, from time to time, looked up at Chanyeol’s back, surprised to see how attractive it actually was to look at. But she quickly snapped her thoughts shut. She was still hoping that Chanyeol would at least sneak a glance at her, but he didn’t.

Kyungmi sighed. It’s to be expected… I’m such an idiot. She thought. I should apologize. But I’ve tried so many times to get him to talk to me but he just… No, don’t think like that. Just do it. She took a quick gulp before clearing .

“Chanyeol?” She started, “Um, listen… I really want to—“

“How long?”

Chanyeol’s sudden intrusion surprised Kyungmi and she blinked, stopping her sentence and nervously replacing it with a weak, “What?”

Chanyeol finally turned around to look at Kyungmi and she tensed, “How long are you planning on staying here?”

Kyungmi wasn’t prepared for that question so she didn’t have an answer, she just looked at Chanyeol trying to read between the lines of what he just said. But there was nothing to read. It meant what it meant.

“Kyungmi,” Chanyeol looked at his side now, his eyes looking dead. “You can’t stay here for long. Your family must be worried. I mean, your brother who you said was like a crazy killer almost had to hold himself back from dragging you back home. Don’t you think it’s time to think about that?”

“I…” Kyungmi choked. She was trembling and holding back the awful feeling in her chest. “I don’t…”

“Don’t tell me you don’t know.” Chanyeol continued, “Where did you go earlier this morning? I know you didn’t go to the park – there were no birds to feed today. You went home, didn’t you?”

Kyungmi kept quiet and gripped the sides of her book tightly.

Chanyeol sighed, “Kyungmi, I just want you to think about it and—“

“No,” Kyungmi coughed, fighting back tears. She wasn’t going to cry. Not again. Not like this. “Y-You don’t have to say anything anymore, Chanyeol. I understand.”

Chanyeol blinked in response and waited for her to get herself together.

Kyungmi took a moment before looking up at Chanyeol. “I guess I was being selfish, suddenly barging in here like this, and I even gave you more trouble than I could ever imagine.” The words were feeling so heavy to her, she didn’t know how she managed to say it all straight.

“I know I’m a burden. I can’t do anything right and I can’t talk to save myself. So I’m sorry for being inconsiderate. I’m sorry.”

There was a heavy silence in the room for just a few minutes before she spoke again, “And… I’ve been wanting to tell you that I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings the day I said we weren’t best friends. It wasn’t meant that way. I mean… I… I don’t understand it myself, to be honest.” She shook her head lightly, almost mocking herself. “… I know it’s not a good excuse…”

Chanyeol didn’t show any kind of emotion, a rare first. Kyungmi didn’t like it at all. Kyungmi wanted to know what he was thinking, what he was feeling. But maybe, she thought she didn’t deserve it.

“Sorry,” She said again, “If you want, I’ll leave immediately. Just let me talk with your parents…” She stood up, closing the book and holding it tight to her chest as she made her way to the door. As she opened the door, she didn’t expect Chanyeol to slam it back closed, arms cornering her from escaping.

“Ch-Chan…” Kyungmi trembled, pulling the book closer to her chest like a shield. “What… What is…”

“That’s wrong,” Chanyeol said, voice strained. “You’re wrong, Kyungmi. You’re wrong about a lot of things.”

“Uh…” Kyungmi craned her head, hoping to get a look at Chanyeol’s face, but he was lowering his head more as if he was ashamed, “Chanyeol?”

“It’s not your fault. It never was your fault.” Chanyeol spoke, “Didn’t I tell you that when you stayed over? When you bawled in front of me? You don’t have to apologize for anything. If anyone, it should be me right now.”

Kyungmi, puzzled, reached her hand out to Chanyeol’s cheek in an attempt to offer some kind of comfort. Why do you sound so hurt? What is it, Chanyeol?

But her hand stopped midway when Chanyeol looked up. Kyungmi held her breath at the serious look Chanyeol was giving her.

“I’m sorry,” Chanyeol bit his lip. “I’m sorry, Kyungmi. I’m really sorry.”

Kyungmi had no words to say.

“I just – I just couldn’t do it anymore. I just can’t pretend to be friends with you knowing that you weren’t even sure of the kind of relationship that we have.” He shut his eyes tight, unable to look at her face. “I just can’t assure myself and hide behind that title anymore.”

“I don’t understand…” Kyungmi reached out again, this time she held his cheek. It was warm, just like Chanyeol’s embrace. But Chanyeol wasn’t opening his eyes.

“I was stupid to believe that we could ever be friends,” Chanyeol laughed at himself weakly. “When you first came to the shop, eyes glowing with honest affection for all the books we have, it was a big surprise to think that the youngest Mae child would be interested in something as mundane as this place.”

Kyungmi strained her gaze at Chanyeol, hand still holding his cheek. “Don’t say that. This place is the only place where I truly belong…”

He smiled at her reply before continuing, “And for you to talk to me like I was one of your kind… You have no idea how happy that made me feel…” Chanyeol chuckled, “You’re too kind, Mi.”

Kyungmi blushed and probably some more when Chanyeol finally looked straight into her eyes and said. “Well, that’s what I like about you.”

What are you trying to say? Kyungmi thought.

“The reason I’ve been ignoring you was because I didn’t want you to see what I’ve been hiding for a long time.” Chanyeol spoke softly, “I was afraid, knowing that I couldn’t use our label as best friends anymore to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter