Empty Past

A Tale of Two Hearts
XSYKOTICA
 A Tale of Two Hearts
"Empty Past"
 

 

It was more than a week since Sehun got there in the tower. More than a week of lying down on the bed. More than a week of getting to know Suzy.

 

Today was just any ordinary day, if you consider being locked up in a tower with your assassin normal. But even in their circumstances, they were relaxed and finally at ease with each other. Sehun was busy pretending to read the book that Suzy gave him when he was actually stealing glances (again) while listening to her. Suzy, on the other hand, was singing the same song that woke him up last time. And as he listened, he felt a tug in his heart. The melody she beautifully hummed was both sweet and poignant. It was like a lullaby of a loving mother to her child but it also has a bittersweet tone because at the same time it felt like she was saying goodbye to her child.

 

Abandoning all his pretences in reading, Sehun asked Suzy about her song. “Hey,” he said as he put down the book, “what are you singing?”

 

Suzy was looking at the only window in her room. Today, the sky was clear and bright, a perfect blue sky. A perfect time for daydreaming, of running barefoot while the sunlight touching your face… of freedom. A perfect day for dreams that would never come true.

 

 But when Sehun spoke, she was snapped out from her reverie. “Hmm?” She looked at him.

 

“What are you singing?” he asked again.

 

“Oh!” She blushed a little since she didn’t realize that she was singing. “Sorry, am I disturbing you?”

 

He shook his head, finding the pinkish tints on her cheeks somehow cute. “Don’t worry. You’re not disturbing me,” he assured her, noticing that she was eyeing the book he put down. “I just have a little patience in reading books. I prefer comics.”

 

“Comics?” She gave him a curious look.

 

“Really? You don’t know what a comic is? Where have you been all these years?!” It was meant as a joke but he regretted saying those words as soon as they left from his mouth and saw her eyes flashed with sadness.

 

“Ummm…sorry that was thoughtless of me,” he apologized.

 

“Uh-oh," she gave him a warm smile. "I won’t forgive you unless you explain to me what comics are. I have books but I think I haven’t encountered that word yet.”

 

Sehun looked at her and he could see she was serious in her request for an explanation. He returned her smile before he began talking. “Anyway, comics are just like your books but thinner and have fewer words," he described. "They also tell stories but through pictures. Usually the story is about good guys fighting evil.”  Sehun could see Suzy’s eyes sparkled with each description. She made him feel that he was the most interesting person in the world, like he could say anything and she would still listen. He liked it. He liked it that her attention was his and would do everything for it to continue that way so he went on explaining.

 

When he exhausted all the topics about comics and found that he still wanted to keep her attention, he went back in questioning her about the song. “About your song earlier..”

 

“Oh that,” she shyly said. “I only know the melody, nothing more. I haven’t told you yet but my earliest memory was when I woke up here in the tower. Everything before that was blank.  So I didn’t know what song it is, where I heard it from or who taught me. But somehow, it was the only thing that stuck in my head. I think I just knew it." She made a gesture and snaped her fingers. "Maybe I made it up or maybe not, but the important thing is that it calms and soothes me.”

 

“You have lost your memories?” After hearing Suzy’s story, it made everything more confusing for Sehun. If she didn’t know anything before she was locked up here, why did his superiors want her dead? She could not be that dangerous if she knew nothing, right?

 

Suzy nodded. “Yes, everything, my name, my family, my home. Everything.”

 

“How long are you locked up here? Did you know why?” Sehun could not stop himself from asking. He must question her. He must know everything about her especially now that… what? Why was it so important to know? For what? A justification? A way out?

 

“I don’t know,” she answered. “Years maybe, since I’ve changed and grown. But I guess not long enough because I’m not that old. I think I'm at least in my 20's. I just know that when I woke up, someone was talking to me. He said, I would be staying here from now on for my safety and that I didn’t have to worry about anything. He said that he will protect me.”

 

“He? Who is he?”

 

“I don’t know,” she trembled. She was clearly terrified. “The guards called him Captain but I don’t know his name. I never ask him.”

 

“You’re shaking. No, don't be afraid.” Sehun held her hands, frustrated that earlier she smiling because of him but now she was trembling because of this Captain. “You don’t need to tell me if you’re afraid.”

 

She looked at him and nodded. “Yes, I don’t have to be afraid of him. Soon you’re going to be alright and everything will be fine. Finally, you’ll be able to kill me.”

 

 

 



Hello there! SECRETS so many SECRETS! Hahaha! Please bare with a crazy author like me. Hahaha!

You can follow and talk to me on twitter (@lennah_chan). Show some love by subscribing, commentng and upvoting. Thank you for reading!

GOD BLESS!!!