Tic toc

His Eyes

Chapter 12: Back

The wind blew past the 350 people on top and around the mountain. Some people complained about catching a cold, some people called for lunch, and some people, like Yoo Youngjae, simply observed.

“Looks like it’s gonna rain again.” Youngjae said as he planted his 6th seedling that morning. SooAh nodded. “Tired?” He asked.

“Nope.” She smiled it him. “It’s not even twelve noon, Mr. Yoo.”

“Well, at least we’re getting some work done.” He chuckled as he looked around the area. He saw Daehyun talking to L then he looked at her. He sighed.

Even with sweat and mud on, she looked so beautiful. He noticed it now. Her cheeks were slightly tinted and red from the sun, her lashes were long, her lips were full and pink, her nose wasn’t as tall as the other queenka’s but it was cute, her eyes were big and focused-- she just had an elegance about her. He thought Daehyun had taken an interest to her because she was… different, but he can see now she was physically attractive too. Definitely physically attractive/

“Careful, if you stare too long, she might melt.” Himchan whispered and Youngjae jumped.

“Hyung!” He held his hand to his heart. “I wasn’t—“

“Yah, we should admire the flowers when they bloom, right?” He winked. Youngjae shook his head. He couldn’t decide whether Himchan was wise or just plain cheesy for saying that.

“Don’t worry pabo, I know you’re not the one who’s interested.” His head nudged over to Daehyun who looked up to him right after he used his phone. Youngjae felt his phone vibrate.

“Oh.” He muttered as he opened the new message.


From: Jung Damchu

Message:

Stop staring and start working. :)


Youngjae shook his head and typed out a reply.


Daehyun angrily typed another reply to Youngjae’s message. The younger male had simply sent him one word, “STALKER” and it annoyed him. The past few weeks have been strange for him, specially because he has been coming to terms with his feelings for her. His gaze darted to her. He found it strange how he would easily catch sight of her—spot her immediately in a crowded place, or how he would try to think too much when it came to what he said or did when he was around her. Most of all, it annoyed him to no end how oblivious she was to how she affected people.

He looked to his left and saw L Joe casually leaning against his car while ordering the younger members of teen top around. That guy wouldn’t even be here if SooAh hadn’t made an impression on him the day he went back to class. Then there was Youngjae who obviously found her interesting, he’s harmless, Daehyun thought to himself. Kai, it took him a while to understand, had previously known SooAh even before she transferred to Seoul Elite High School. Then there’s infinite—first, Sungjong (with Jung Eunji) who sticks to her like glue, then Woohyun who calls her whatever he likes, then there was the guy behind him…

L cleared his throat. Daehyun turned to him.

 “How many have you planted now, hyung?” Daehyun asked.

“About 20?” L replied. The younger male nodded. Noting that he had planted 40 already.

 “Just so you know, I’m not competing with you, Daehyun.” L stated coolly as he covered another seedling with soil.

“Competing? For what, hyung?” Daehyun asked, not looking up from mixing the soil. “Planting?”

L rolled his eyes. “I’m not interested in Go SooAh.” Daehyun stopped and turned to him.

He cleared his throat awkwardly. “You didn’t need to tell me that.”

“Really?” L asked skeptically.

“Yes.”

“Why?”

“Hyung, there’s no need to tell me something that’s obviously a lie.” L faced him now, his brows knitted together.

“Lie?” He scoffed. “Ya, Daehyun, I’m not lying. I just find her interesting, that’s all.”

“Really?”

“Really.”

“Okay.” Daehyun paused to pick up the shovel on the floor. “Then tell me something,”

“What is it?”

“If you only find her interesting, why did you pick her up from her house this morning?” He was met with silence. “Why did you try so hard to convince half the people here to come on a Saturday?” It was true. L had gathered his friends to convince their friends and acquaintances to come and help out. The realization was slowly sinking in. “Why are you here, hyung?” L’s eyes widened.

Daehyun smirked. “I think the type of interest I have for SooAh and the one you have for her are the same.” He stated. L clenched his fists.

“Dae—“

“So hyung, please don’t try to convince yourself by convincing me you don’t like her that way.” He finished. Before L realized it, Daehyun had already walked away from him and went to the volunteers to gather them together. His eyes shifted from Daehyun’s retreating figure to the girl covered in mud and sweat. He sighed and closed his eyes.

“I’m screwed.” He whispered.


Making L realize his affection for SooAh might have been the wrong move for him, but that was as far as he will go. This time, however, he wasn’t giving anyone any more chances.