First Play Date (첫 놀이)

Yeojawa Namja (여자와 남자)

 

It's Sunday so you all have the chance to lounge around and play. There is one long curvy couch, and Soo Min, Hei Ryung, Eun Jung, N, Ravi, Hyuk, and Hongbin are sitting on it. Jin Ae and Do Rang are sitting on the smaller couch with Ken, laughing at some odd impersonations he is doing.

After you and Leo finish washing the dishes, you both dry your hands and join everyone else in the living room. You go over and climb on the couch behind Do Rang and drape your arms over her shoulders. Leo slips in on the other side next to Ken. 

"Okay," N says as he claps his hands together. "Now that everyone is ready, it's time for..." he drags it out for dramatic effect. "Nolaebang!"

Mixed reactions erupt from the crowd about doing karaoke. The girls mostly squeal with glee, except for you who just sits there silently with your head down. You are dubbed the main vocalist of your group and you feel a lot of pressure to live up to that title.

As N sets up the karaoke machine, you quietly sneak off into the kitchen and grab a water bottle out of the fridge. When you shut the fridge, there is a figure standing behind the door which makes you jump.

"Kkamjjak," you exclaim as you jump back in surprise.

Leo jumps back a little also but just stands there blinking at you. You stare back at him for a few seconds before deciding to break the awkward silence.

"Mul," you ask motioning to the fridge.

Leo just nods so you take out another water bottle for him and hand it to him. He opens it and takes a couple sips before replacing the cover and heading back into the living room. You stare at his back as he walks away, a little unsure of him with such a limited conversation. 

O-okay, you think to yourself.

You take a sip of your water as Do Rang skips up to you.

"So... so," she asks repeatedly, nudging you with her shoulder. 

"So what," you ask as you replace the cap. 

Do Rang rolls her eyes and scoots next to you motioning with her eyes towards the living room.

"Eh? Eh? What do you think," she asks.

You try your best to figure out what she is referring to, but just come up with a blank, making Do Rang huff and roll her eyes again.

"Leo! Leo, girl," she whispers nudging you again. "What do you think of Leo? He's cute, right?"

You feel your face blush instantly as you look over at Leo only to have him looking right back at you. Do Rang gives a little wave as she also notices him looking and you immediately try to hide behind her.

"Ya," you whisper and tap her lightly with your fist. "Hajima."

Do Rang just giggles and grabs your wrist. "Gaja, nolae," she says pulling you into the living room again.

You groan but let her pull you along. She excitedly jumps into the crowd to pick out her song, but you shrink back to the small couch. You look over and see Leo has the same idea as you. He looks over at you and you give him a smile and nod, but he just looks back at the excited crowd standing in front of you which makes you feel a bit rejected. 

Well, fine then, you think to yourself. You take a sip of water and proceed to ignore him as well. 

The boys and girls alternate singing different songs touching on most genres: some rock, some pop, and some just plain silly.

You find yourself finally loosening up and getting into the fun as you clap, laugh, and move to the different rhythms but all while remaining sitting. Occasionally you glance over at Leo secretly, but he just sits on the other side of the couch with a stone-faced expression barely clapping at the end of performances. 

"Leo-hyung," N calls excitedly as he chooses a new song. "Come on. This one is for you to sing."

He walks over and pulls Leo to his feet with much resistance from the quiet one. N ignores Leo's protests and hands him the microphone before pushing him to the center of the room. You watch as Leo covers his face and desperately searches for a way out.

The music begins and he seems to give in but his posture is still very stiff. When he begins singing, you are a little breathless as it is so beautiful. He hits the notes gracefully, even for karaoke. Just then it dawns on you, that this is the first time you are actually hearing his voice because he hasn't spoken once since you met him besides with the group greeting and very quietly introducing himself. 

"Oh, that's our Leo," says Ken who obviously notices you staring. "He's our second main vocal, you know. I'm the first."

He puts his hand on his chest and puffs it out proudly. You simply smile and go back to watching Leo sing. 

If he's a main vocal then I'm screwed, you silently put yourself down.

You've never been too confident in your abilities and were only discovered due to your parents pushing you into the entertainment business. You were actually surprised when the company president had labeled you as the main vocal. 

When Leo finishes singing, the guys all jump up cheering and bragging about their member's talents.

"That's our Leo," says N giving Leo's shoulder a squeeze but he's just shrugged off by the other with an icy glare.

Leo hands back the mic and shrinks back to his spot on the couch.

N gives Leo a scowl but continues to brag. "Maj-a, that's our vocal talent."

"Oh? Geulaeyo," Eun Jung asks as if she has just been challenged. "Do Rang, sing." She says as she snaps her fingers towards the karaoke machine. 

"Eotteohkaji? I already sang a song," Do Rang responds. She does a brief aegyo pose before snapping her fingers. "Oh, maj-a!" She jumps over to you and pulls on your hand. "You haven't sung a song yet. You're our main vocal, so it'd be perfect to follow their main vocals performance."

"Ani-yo," you say as you try to pull your hand from her grasp but fail as she pulls you to your feet.

You drag your feet as she pushes you to the center and Soo Min hands you the microphone. You take a deep breath as you look at it in your hands turning it over as if it was a foreign object. You clear your throat and do some quiet warm ups as they argue over which song to make you sing. You silently pray that they choose a decent one.

As the music starts, you are relieved that they did in fact choose a good song and you begin singing. About halfway through, you finally look up at the faces around you and are a bit unnerved that they are mostly staring but confident since they are all not laughing.

N and HongBin's faces look almost astonished, which causes a slight smile to form on your lips. When you look at Leo though, a small knot starts to tighten in your stomach. His expression doesn't look as cold and stone-like as it had before with just an edge of something you can't quite figure out.

You finish singing and quickly place the mic on the machine before you try to run back to the couch, but are caught by your members who are bragging and cheering like the boys had done with Leo. The boys also jump up and give you praise.

"Wow! Wow," you hear Ken shouting as he claps his hands together loudly. 

"Woah, that was amazing," N says as he gives you a thumbs up.

"Daebak," Hyuk and HongBin say together giving you two thumbs up each.

"Leo, she may give you a run for your money," Ravi says jabbing a thumb in your direction.

You peek through the crowd and see Leo rise from the couch and walk upstairs without even glancing back. No one else really notices and the party continues with Hyuk singing so you decide to creep up the stairs after him.

 

When you reach the third floor, you peak into the first room but don't see any sign of him. You scoot down the hall and peak into the second room. He is sitting on the floor in front of the closet with headphones in his ears listening to his iPod.

You straighten up, clear your throat, and knock on the door before going over and sitting next to, but not too close to, him. Leo glances up at you as you walk towards him, but then promptly looks back at his iPod. 

You sit there in awkward silence for a minute waiting for Leo to acknowledge you, but he makes no motion to do so. You lean over and look at the screen of his iPod to see what song he is listening to and notice that it's one of your favorites. You reach up and brazenly pull out one of Leo's headphones, sticking it into your own ear. You have to scoot a little closer so the cord isn't pulled too tight. Leo doesn't even twitch when you do this.

You two sit side by side listening to the music for a few minutes before you speak up. 

"Um, Leo," you begin. "Why did you leave?"

You see Leo look over at you out of the corner of your eye, but you just keep looking down at your hands waiting for his response. After a minute of more silence, you decide to try again.

"I'm sorry if I did something wrong," you start.

"I just don't like competition," Leo speaks up making you look up at him. He is just looking at his iPod in his hand, and doesn't say anything else. 

"Oh, guelaeyo," you say questioningly.

At least, you feel a sense of relief that it wasn't because you did something wrong.

You two sit there just listening to Leo's music without saying anything else. A slow and soft song comes on and you can feel your eyelids getting heavy from the sleep that you didn't get to fulfill last night. You give in and let your eyelids slide closed just for a second.

 


*Author's note: You're gonna want to stay tuned for the next chapter   *wink wink*

**Note 2: Updated 9.25.14