Chapter 7

Living as a Princess (And a Pauper)

Naeun was confused when she woke up. For one, it was still dark. She never woke up in the middle of the night. She rarely ever did. She tried to raise her head from her pillow, but realized that she couldn't. Because there was something on her head. And she wasn't lying on a pillow. Naeun was sitting, with her head rested on Sehun's shoulder. Her eyes widened in shock, and on reflex, she raised her head abruptly, bumping against Sehun's who groaned in pain. To her surprise, he didn't wake up. Instead his head landed in Naeun's lap with a thud! She let a small giggle at the move. He looked so peaceful, his hair was a mess too. Naeun gently brushed his brown hair out of his face, revealing his features. She guessed she never took the time to notice just how attractive Sehun really was. His perfect jawline, his big eyes, perfect complexion. His lips. Naeun felt her cheeks grow warm, having thought so strange thoughts. But that didn't stop her from gently running her fingers over his cheeks feeling his soft skin. A small smile appeared on her face, and she couldn't keep it away. Not that she wanted to. 

          "Enjoy staring and touching my face?" Naeun's eyes widened when she heard his tired voice. She grew bright red and turned away from him. Sehun smirked at her reaction and sat up, being careful not to crush Naeun's little sister who was still sleeping. 

          "Come with me," Sehun said as he stood up on his feet, stretching a little to get the bits of sleep on his body. He held his hand out in which Naeun took. It probably wasn't the first time, but it was definitely stronger. The feeling of electricity when her hand touched his. It shot through his veins, and he almost shivered. He pulled her to her feet and lead her up the stairs.

           "Where are we going?" Naeun asked curiously.

           "Someplace that I think you'd really like," he replied simply. Naeun smiled. She liked surprises. 

            They went two turns before entering a room. The room they entered was simple. The theme was blue and white. White walls, blue bed, blue desk, white shelves. A laptop sat on the desk, the bookshelf was filled with books and... trophies. Naeun let go of Sehun's hands and skipped over to where the trophies were held. There was three for piano, and four for Soccer. Naeun was impressed. Getting trophies were hard, let alone seven.

            "You play the piano?" Naeun asked with interest. Sehun saw the sudden change in her mood. From happy to excited.

            "Yeah, ever since I was four," he replied. Naeun smiled widely.

            "Me too! We should work on something together one day," 

            Sehun had never seen Naeun so happy before. So excited, like a child going to a fair. Sehun smiled. She was such a weird girl. Why would one of the school's most popular girls have straight A's, play the piano, skip out on parties, work,  and enjoy everything that expressed the world's serenity. And yet she was still beautiful. He could bet that she wasn't even trying.

             "We should do that," he said with a small smirk. 

             "What were you going to show me by the way?"

             Sehun suddenly remembered what he had brought her up here for. He grabbed her hand again, and lead her to the window.

              "Theres a ladder on the outside wall of the house that leads to the roof," he explained. He carefully made his way out the window, quickly gripping the bars of the ladder and hauled himself up onto the roof effortlessly. Naeun stayed in his room, and stuck her head out the window looking up at the boy.

            "Is this safe?"

             Sehun laughed and nodded. Naeun hesitated before sticking her legs out the window and gripped the bars tightly with her hands. She climbed up the ladder, forcing herself not to look down. She saw Sehun's outstretched hand and took. He pulled her up onto the roof. When she finally made it she let out a sigh of relief. 

             "It's beautiful isn't it?" Sehun pointed up to the sky, where billions of shining clung onto the blanket of the night. Naeun looked up, slightly open as she observed the beautiful scene above her. Never in her life had she ever taken the time to appreciate small yet amazing things like this. Stargazing, always sounded so serene and beautiful, and yet unrealistic. But here she was. She it was surreal. 

             "The amount of beautiful things in the world that I have missed," she murmured in awe. Sehun enjoyed watching her innocent expression. Right there, on the rooftop in the middle of the night, Sehun finally felt unrestrained. He finally felt the sense of belonging in which he never really did before, and yet always yearned for.

              "Sehun are you okay?" 

              Sehun turned to Naeun who was staring at him, a little confused by his sudden daze. He nodded.

              "I'm more than okay. I'm... good," such a simple answer, but Naeun could see it in his face that he was happier than he had ever been. Naeun couldn't help but wonder why Sehun was so unpopular at school. He didn't look like the type to be shunned. She felt as if it had something to do with Kai, for when Kai threw insults at Sehun, she could see the tension build inside of him. 

               Maybe I'm not the only one with secrets.

               Naeun observed the way his lips were curved at the edges. It was such a nonchalant smile.

              "What... exactly happened Sehun? Before I met you, what kind of a person were you?" Naeun asked daringly. She wanted to know so badly that she didn't even bother to hold back. Sehun turned to her with a sad smile.

              "I wasn't always a 'loner' or a 'nerd' and those stereotypical names," he began. It was almost as if he wanted to tell her. The way he had so freely opened himself up. Naeun sat a little closer, anticipating a story. He chuckled a little at her wide-eyed, intrigued face. 

              "I came into the school accepted by everyone. I'm not trying to be narcissistic, I mean I really don't look like a weirdo or a nerd right?" he turned to Naeun with a teasing smile. Naeun only nodded, too immersed in the story to think about her own actions. And so he continued.

              "I played soccer. Joined the team. I had many friends. My family wasn't the richest, but we were happy. I was very close with my parents and I still am. I listened to every word my mother said from the moment I could understand languages. I watched my mom and dad support the family with their lives and I knew I wanted to be like them when I grew up. And so, when I got invited to my first party, and got drunk... came home at two am completely hung over, greeted by the most worried parents in the world, I knew I made a mistake. The guilt stayed with my for a while. When the people who love you so much are disappointed in you, its the worst feeling in the world. And so I swore I would never feel like that again. And every day that passed seemed harder and harder to get by. Acting like a cocky jerk wasn't my thing. I couldn't do it. I just couldn't. And my friends thought I had gone mad, but I was still the perfect son in the eye of my parents. And I chose the path that made me happy. Because I'd rather be sad not being accepted and happy being me than pretend I was something to feign a type of happiness that wasn't genuine,"

             It all hit Naeun like a ton of bricks. The lies seemed to have added on so much weight that Naeun winced a little. And his last words struck her to the very core. 

             I'd rather be sad not being accepted than pretend I was something to feign a type of happiness that wasn't genuine...

             Naeun only looked at Sehun with wide eyes. Only because she could relate to everything he said. And only because she was beginning to realize her own selfishness. She wasn't all that scared of the distractions falling down the social pyramid with cause. She was afraid. She was afraid of the amount of rocks that would be thrown at her. Words that might break her down. And sure all that related back to how it would affect her supporting a broken family. But this was just another reason why no one should find out. Because she knew now that she wasn't mentally prepared for this. And she knew that if everything bled out she would surely be crushed underneath her hidden fears. 


okay so now that I have a bridge into some plot, you guys will finally see how it will come along ;). I don't know if this is an enough hint as to what the plot or drama might be but yeaaaaaa so if you liked it please comment and subscribe! <3

~ Yoonhye <3<3