Chapter 2

Living as a Princess (And a Pauper)

The thoughts of everything crumbling never crossed Naeun's mind. She didn't want it to. She didn't want to think of the things that would happen if everyone found out. But after last night, the constant fear kept on resurfacing back. Secrets were hard to hold in. In primary school, when kids had crushes, they would always tell at least one friend. It was inevitable. Secrets were like forces of pressure inside her body, constantly pushing and struggling to make its way out of Naeun's mind. The pressure sometimes becomes so great that many times she's opened to tell Luhan...then shut it for she knew better than to act so recklessly. And even now, as she walked by her little group of friends; she could only picture their horrified faces if they ever knew about her double life. One cannot be a princess and a pauper. She was attempting at both. With little slips of course. 

            "Naeun, we're going shopping after school, wanna come?" her friend Yuna asked her. This was just an opening into a new mistake. Naeun knew she couldn't go shopping with her three friends. The stores they went to were always too expensive for her really afford. All the clothes Naeun bought were from outside the country, where it was cheap. 

            "I.. should probably study for the finals exams next week," Naeun lied smoothly. It was true though, she'd rather study her favorite subject, history, rather than go clothing hunting. Yuna nodded in understanding.

            "Right finals. Oh well, I fail most of the time anyway, it doesn't matter," Naeun's other friend,  Jee sun giggled. Naeun forced a grin upon her face, although she knew very well that it was fake. Naeun's friends were far different from her. It was hard to disagree with everything they said when they could almost reach the title as queens of the school. Of course, they would be "princesses" for Mia probably ruled their high school like it was her kingdom. If everything went back to the medieval system, Naeun would probably be a peasant attempting at a life of royalty. Death will become of her if she was to be caught. "Death" as in non stop bullying and shunned by the student body. With a life like hers, it was something she definately couldn't afford. And sometimes she wanted to give up a double life... but the thoughts of her beloved sister always pulled her back into reality. But even with differences seperating Naeun and her friends, she knew that if she needed to vent at the smallest things, it wouldn't be a problem to pull a friend to the cafe and have a chat. Popularity had its advantages. Advantages that didn't always mean using other people's disadvantages. 

            "You got a wardrobe malfunction there," Naeun heard Jeesun sneer. She looked up to see a small girl, with glasses and very unappealing clothes looking up at Jeesun in fear. She didn't know why. Why it hurt just a little looking at the girl. It reminded her too much of herself. But Naeun's eyes were never once filled with weakness. She was a kind introverted girl, but the glint in her eyes were always as hard as ice. But this was at school. Naeun only believed that school wasn't worth being stressed out over. Especially when the stress didn't even come from the homework.  

            "Hey Jeesun, enough, lets go," she heard Yuna say as she put a hand on Jeesun's shoulder. The people surrounding the scene snickered as they watched tears come to the nerdy girl's eyes. She must've been no older than a freshmen. Meaning that Naeun was older than her, and all of a sudden she felt responsible to care for her. Naeun stayed behind as the rest of her friends walked on. They strolled, unaware of Naeun's disappearance. Naeun approached the frightened and sad girl cautiously, and placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. The girl jumped a little and turned around, her eyes wide with fright at the sight of Naeun. 

            "Don't worry, I'm not going to hurt you. Just don't listen to anything they say alright? I'll try to get them to stop saying things," Naeun said with a sigh. How exactly would she do that anyway?

            "T-Thank you... Naeun,"

Naeun's eyes widened just slightly, at the knowledge of the girl knowing her name.

            "You're welcome," she replied a little uncertainly. And with that, Naeun strolled away to catch up with her friends, unaware of someone watching in the distance.

             "Yo, what were you looking at?" the boy asked tapping his friend's head in an attempt to get his attention, but to no avail. His friend shook his head.

             "Nothing Baekhyun, nothing," he says a little confused by his own actions. It definately wasn't nothing. He had his eyes set on that girl for a long time now, and he's caught her acts of kindness a lot more than once while her friends were the ones causing the trouble. 

             "That didn't look like nothing. It looked like staring. Observing. Gawking. Fanboy-Ow!" Baekhyun was hit over the head, hard.

             "I get it!" his friend snapped. Baekhyun rolled his eyes and glared at him, dragging him off in the opposite direction. 

Naeun bid her goodbyes as her friends all headed off to the mall. Expensive cars, expensive clothes, expensive shoes. They knew nothing about reality. Sometimes Naeun gets annoyed by the actions of her friends, but simply doesn't show it, knowing she would surely lose in a battle of what was right. So she packed up her books into her bag. She shut her locker, preparing to head off to work. She had only taken a few steps, turning a sharp corner. Naeun always hated corners, because there was no way to tell what it would bring. It also reminded her of the time when she was seven and she sprinted around the corner, and crashed into a classmate, resulting in of course, a bloody nose. Just a little part of life that she really didn't want to repeat again. But she felt a a sense of deja vu as she felt her body's impact with another. Luckily, unlike in those cliche movies, she didn't drop her books.

            "Sorry, I wasn't watching where I was going," she murmured bowing a little. Remembering the time, she hurried off to work, but was stopped by a hand wrapped around her wrist. It caught Naeun's off guard, for the sudden contact wasn't something she was used to. But she turned around, preparing for an angry person, but instead, it was a calm looking boy. He reminded her a little of Luhan strangely enough, but she could tell that this person was not chinese, unlike her redheaded friend. It was just first glance when she had the thought. Now that she was looking at him closer, she could see he looked nothing like Luhan at all. 

            "It's not your fault, I should've been more careful. I'm Sehun" he said. He let go of Naeun's wrist and held his hand out. Naeun wasn't exactly sure what to do. It wasn't everyday that inroductions began with crashing into each other at corners. But she took his hand into a handshake and forced a quick smile.

            "I'm Na Eun," she said politely, nodding a little bit, "And I have to go, I'm in a hurry to- um- pick up my sister," she said quickly, realizing her near fatal mistake. She had almost said "work". If anyone had found out about her life outside of school, then got to know her in school... she was dead. So without a farewell, she quickly rushed past him, leaving him looking after her in confusion. 

She continued on the sidewalk to the bakery, feeling her shoulders weighed down by the bags and books she was carrying.

            "Hey Naeun! Where ya going?" Naeun froze. Yup being victimized meant constant mini heart attacks. Especialy at that voice. Naeun rolled her eyes and sighed in complete annoyance. Luhan's gonna kill me for being late now.

            "Going to the bakery?" she turned around and faced the one person she wished death to do upon. 

            "Nah, going to the starbucks beside it to study," her lying skills were just improving and improving. The improvisation was flawless now. Mia only  feigned a smile, but inside, she was in rage. Nerd turns into princess and now I have nothing to hold against her she thought in anger.

            "Well see ya," Before Mia knew it Naeun was already walking down the sidewalk towards the coffee shop. 

Just like a bug. Those things never leave her alone, just like Mia. It was probably time for the stupid queen of the school to admit defeat. But she had to admit. It was a very close call. The the biggest thorn tore deeper into her flesh, she was sure all her secrets would bleed out.


Hi! So this is my second chapter of the story. I hope it wasn't all too boring :P I decided to bring some POTENTIAL main characters into this chapter ;) 

But if you liked it please comment and subscribe! Constructive criticism is always welcome!

Also I have a poster now! Thanks to Balloon_ for making it :P

And my background is from tumblr ^^

~Yoonhye