Chapter 6

Living as a Princess (And a Pauper)

It was really hard to contain excitement. She felt her heart jumping up and down as she remembered Sehun's invitation. Most of the people in the school probably thought she was excited for the party. And Naeun wondered what would happen when everyone found out that she didn't go. School was over and she only had two things to do. She needed to call her boss and let him know that she couldn't go to work. And she needed to call Luhan. But calling her boss in school was risky, which was why she had to find an empty classroom to do it. It was going to be the most jumpy two minutes of her life.

Where is she? Sehun had already prepared everything. He was anticipating how tonight would turn out. But it was just a movie. Just a friendly night. His parents were out on a date, and wouldn't be back until very late. It was going to be perfect. He strolled out of class, humming lightly. Naeun wasn't the door waiting this time. So he decided to go look for her. He walked through the hallway and peeked into every classroom, looking for a sign of Naeun. But he found none. Sehun ran his fingers through his hair in confusion. DId she forget?
Sehun didn't want to think like that. He had hoped she wouldn't forget. 
I wonder if this matters to her as much as it matters to me?
He continued down the hallway in hopes of finding a sign. By now, there was  barely any students left. And he was starting to get worried. What if Kai had gotten to her?


          "Yes tonight," 
Sehun heard a familiar voice in the classroom he had happened to pass by. He slowly walked to the doorway, peeking inside quietly. To his surprise, the girl he had been looking for, for the past fifteen minutes was inside, a cell phone pressed to her ear. He listened in on the conversation.


          "I have some plans for tonight, is it okay for me to take maybe a night off?" 


          A night off what? Sehun was confused as ever. Was she talking to her mom? No her mom was on a business trip.


          "Really!? Thanks boss!"
Sehun's eyes widened. Boss? Why would a wealthy, happy princess have a boss? Did she work? So many question ran through his mind at that moment that he couldn’t even take the time to try and answer one. 

          Whatever, it’s probably just for experience

          Sehun decided to shake off the questions and pass it off as nothing of a big deal. But it definitely confused him as to why Naeun is who she is. There was something about her that he couldn’t grasp, even though he knew he was close. He heard her end her conversation, and he was about to call her name when he heard her dial another number. He pressed himself against the wall, not daring to breathe as he listened to see what more was to be revealed about this mysterious girl.

         “Luhan-哥哥 (gege meaning other brother)! I won’t go to work today because I have plans with a friend,” Sehun heard her light and happy voice. Sehun smiled when he heard her voice. He loved it when she sounded happy. Carefree. He felt heat rise to his cheeks, and he placed a cold hand on his face in attempt to cool it down. 

          “I’m sorry, I promise I’ll go on Monday,” Sehun could hear a whine at the end of the sentence. His heart dropped a little when a thought entered his head. Who was this Luhan guy? Was it her boyfriend? Sehun couldn’t even deny his envy. His fists were tightly clenched, and a sour feeling came to his chest. This Luhan person obviously wasn’t her real brother. Naeun was Korean, not Chinese. 

          Sehun was thrown back into reality when he heard her footsteps approach the door way. In panic, Sehun ran out of the classroom, and pretending to just approach the class.

          “Sehun-ah! Hi! I didn’t know you were here! Do you want me to go pick up my sister right now?” 

          Sehun put a smile on his face despite the suspicion that crawled down his back. 

          “Sure!” he replied. 

          “I’ll meet you at Starbucks then?” Naeun asked. 

          “Would you like me to walk with you?” Sehun suggested. It was more like an excuse. He didn’t know whether or not to ask her about her phone calls. It wasn’t private was it?

          “Its fine really, I can go. It’s quite far from here and I wouldn’t want you to walk so far…” Naeun trailed off, and Sehun narrowed his eyes ever so slightly. He was sure she didn’t notice it though. It was like a calm store raging inside him. It wasn’t anger. But the feeling wasn’t pleasant. It was as if everything was connected by such thin lines that he just couldn’t see with his eyes.

          “Are you sure?”

          “Positive,”

          And with that, they parted with a friendly farewell. 

Did he hear? Did he hint that something was wrong? Naeun saw through people way too easily. It wasn’t hard to tell that there was something on Sehun’s mind. And she was determined to find out, because it was for him, and her sake. Naeun didn’t want Sehun to go with her to her house. Her house was so small, barely enough room for two. Definitely not a house that could fit her parents as well. Her cover would be blown right then and there.

          But why!? Why am I doing this!? I’m bound to one day hit a dead end!

          Naeun couldn’t tell if keeping this status was to protect her pride, family, or just to receive the pleasure of being liked. Naeun could only wonder if she was turning selfish. Every footstep she took became heavier and heavier as the images of Sehun’s face, Mia’s face, Yuna’s face, Kai’s face, everyone popped up in her head. The lies were becoming heavier and heavier. She didn’t know when they would break her shoulders. But with good things just around the corner, she kept her head held high and the smile on her face because she had always pushed pain to the back of her mind and she would do it again, until one day her barrier breaks. 

         

          "Unni! Is your friend nice? Is it your boyfriend?" Naeun turned red immediately when her little sister said that. Boyfriend? No way. Even he was too good her in Naeun's opinion. She didn't think she deserved anyone at the moment. 

          "No hyemi, he's just a good friend," Naeun reassured her sister who narrowed her eyes at Naeun much to her surprise and amusement. Naeun gently patted her sister's head and they continued on their way to Starbucks. Naeun wished she had her sister's innocence, for she was more anxious than normal. 

          "Now Hyemi, remember to be respectful alright?" Naeun told her little sister. She knew Hyemi would have no problem, for she was basically an angel. 

          "Yup!"

          They entered the coffee shop cautiously as Naeun looked around, scanning the room while holding onto Hyemi's hand. 

          "Over here!" Naeun's head snapped to the direction of the voice, and silently prayed that there would be no one from her school here. They were probably all at the party doing god-knows-what. Naeun lead her sister to the seat where Sehun was at, a large grin on her face. Because Sehun looked just as happy as she did. Hyemi let go of Naeun's hand and rushed over to the tall boy jumping with excitement. She looked like an opposite of the calm and composed Naeun.

           "Hi! You're Naeun's friend! I'm Hyemi!" Hyemi said excitedly. She was practically bouncing up and down on the balls of her feet. Naeun followed a few seconds later, smiling at the child.

           "Hi Hyemi, I'm Naeun's friend, Sehun," 

           Naeun knew immediately that bringing her sister along was a good idea. She stood only a few feet away, silently watching the adorable scene.

           "Sehun-oppa! Naeun's been excited all week about today!" Naeun blushed at Hyemi's words and mentally sent a punch at her little sister who blurted things out way too easily. Sehun looked up at Naeun and sent her a small smirk, in which Naeun tried to dismiss but only managed to look down at her feet in embarrassment. 

           "Well we should be heading off to my house now shouldn't we?" Sehun asked Hyemi. Hyemi nodded eagerly, in which Naeun giggled a little. Seeing Sehun having fun with her little sister made him somewhat even more... attractive. Naeun frowned and shook her head in an attempt to release herself of the absurd thoughts.

           The walk was interesting. That was the only way to describe. All that could be heard was Naeun and Sehun's chat, as they talked about the things that interest them. Immersed in the conversation they both were, accompanied by Sehun's occasional groan of pain for Hyemi had latched onto his wrist, swinging on his arm every few seconds. Naeun only smirked, not bothering to help her friend as her little sister tormented him.

           "How can you sisters have such different personalities? I mean look at her," Sehun muttered to Naeun quietly. 

           "Would you like me to swing on her right arm?" Naeun asked challengingly. Sehun's eyes widened.

           "Yeah no...." he said in horror. Naeun let out a laugh, when she saw his expression. She wished she could talk to him forever whenever she wanted. Maybe she should. But life always got in the way of things. Naeun looked up at the sky. It was getting dark as they finally reached Sehun's home. Naeun gazed at his house in admiration. She found the outside very adorable. A tiny balcony on the second floor. The door was reached by a couple of stairs. Something about it seemed cozy.  Sehun unlocked his front door with his key and pushed it open, gesturing of Naeun go inside while Hyemi was still glued to Sehun's left arm like a sloth. Naeun giggled a little at the funny sight and stepped inside, nodding in thanks. She took off her shoes and spent a few seconds gazing at the architecture. It was a really small house. But everything seemed in place and fit within each other. It gave off a warm cozy feeling Naeun had always yearned for. Hyemi took one look at the house and fell off of Sehun's arm, dashing around the hallways in excitement. It had been awhile since they had left their own apartment and visited another home, and Hyemi was going insane with excitement.

          "I've always dreamed about living in a house like this," Naeun murmured, smiling at the things she saw handing on the walls. Sehun's baby picture. Family portraits. Sehun only looked confused.

          "Why? Don't you like big mansions? I mean your family could always afford one right?" Sehun asked her. Naeun only sighed in sadness. It was just one of those moments when she wanted to burst out her deepest secret, but held her tongue.

          "Sometimes, good things really do come in the tiniest packages. Sometimes, the most beautiful things are the most happiest ones," Naeun trailed off as her thoughts lead her through a chain of wishes and dreams that she would always think of at home, alone in her bed. Things that probably shouldn't be said in front of a boy. 

          "Sounds like you've had experience to have realized these things," Sehun remarked. Naeun said nothing, only shook her head, a sad smile playing at her lips. 

          "Whatever, lets go and pick a movie to watch shall we?" Naeun turned to Sehun who was confused by her sudden change of attitude. Either way, he shook off the thoughts that had emerged once again, and focused on the girl in front of him. He lead her over to the living room. Naeun plopped down on the couch, gazing at the blank TV screen. Sehun glanced at her once before quickly pulling out numerous selections of movies. 

          "Okay, I have, Friday the thirteenth, Inception, Rise of the Guardians-"

          "RISE OF THE GUARDIANS!" A third voice was heard from meters away and from the kitchen emerged the hyper Hyemi who rushed over and grabbed the DVD out of Sehun's hands.

          "Hyemi! Be more polite!" Naeun scolded, much to Sehun's surprise. But he only smiled at the relationship between the sisters. He gently took the DVD out of Hyemi's hands and placed it into the DVD player, going to sit beside Naeun as the movie began to play. Hyemi, jumped onto the couch, narrowly missing Sehun and planted herself beside him, opposite of Naeun.

          "Heh, I don't think she wants me anymore," Naeun said jokingly. Sehun smirked.

          "mhmm, thats for sure,"

The movie had ended and the two teenagers were silently enjoying the music, and trying not to die from all the food they had eaten. Pizza, popcorn, pop... While Hyemi had her head buried in Sehun's side fast asleep. He shifted uncomfortably.

          "I feel like someone is continuously tasering me," Sehun whined. Naeun only smiled.

          "Too bad for you," 

          "Yup, too bad for me," Sehun smirked and jabbed a finger into her side. Naeun let out a small scream, and glared at him. Sehun only grinned and tried again, while Naeun shuffled further and further away laughing, knowing that he can't move.

          "I think your phone is ringing," Sehun suddenly said out of the blue. Naeun looked down to see light coming from her Jacket pocket. She  took out her phone, an old blackberry while praying Sehun wouldn't notice the age of her device. It was the most she could afford. She opened her phone and saw that she had received over thirty texts. Four from Jeesun, three from Yuna, and the rest from anonymous numbers that she was sure was from Jeesun giving them out to people who asked for hers. 

          "Aish! Annoying people from the party," she muttered and closed her phone, not bothering to check a single one. She shuffled back beside Sehun.

          "What now?" Naeun asked, while a yawn rose from her windpipe. Sehun sighed.

          "Sleep, you look tired," Sehun told her.

          "Well I guess I should take Hyemi back," she said, about to get up. Suddenly, Sehun wrapped his arm around her shoulder, and pulled her to him, her head landing on his shoulder. Naeun immediately turned bright red, her eyes widening, while Sehun mentally kicked himself, hard, at such a daring move.

          "Sehun a-are you sure?" Naeun asked him flustered. She felt him nod, and to her surprise, she felt his rest on top of hers. Naeun's heart was beating so hard she was sure that he could hear it. It almost wracked her whole body. How was she supposed to sleep like this? Despite her mind going crazy she forced her eyes close. With the room dark and warmth emitted from Sehun's body, she soon found herself drifting into unconsciousness. 


This chapter was long! OMG LOL anyway I might have a last update tommorow, then I won't be able to update for two days because I'm going away! :) Sorry if this was a boring chapter, just some fluff to satisfy some impatient people ;). I guess that the first few chapters is introductions into the story. The rest will be more dramatic, I promise <3

Well I do hope you guys like it and if you do please subscribe or comment or vote! Thank you!!!!

~Yoonhye <3