Chapter 1

Living as a Princess (And a Pauper)

It’s not like she didn't want to be here. Naeun loved the bakery. She's always loved it. The colors were almost always visually appealing in a calming way. The smell always reminded her of Christmas morning, which was also her favorite time of the year. But now that is was already eight in the evening, the thought of homework constantly rose up to the very surface of her mind. She sighed as she once again heard the ring of the wind chimes placed at the door. Another customer... she wiped her flour covered hands on her soft pastel apron and prepared to serve them. She looked up from the cake she was making, only to feel panic rise to as she saw who was at the counter. She ducked down behind the counter, breathing heavily, holding a hand over her beating heart. It was them. Naeun liked to call them the "the thorn in her side".  Lame, but the name literally translated the meaning. If anyone from her school, let alone them find out she was working in this bakery, she was dead meat. And yet they always seem to just "Appear" at the wrong time in the wrong places. After all, what kind of wealthy girl with kind parents works in a bakery for a salary? The kind of "wealthy" girl that was starting to regret telling the lies. She clenched her fists as she debated on whether or not she should serve them. Lose a customer? Well why not! She crawled on all fours into the back room of supplies, slipping behind a wall. Thanks wall, you're a life saver she thought as she waited for the chatter of the "Thorns" to die away. 
            "Hello!? Is anyone here?" she heard a voice that made her wince, physically. If anyone doubted Naeun and her claims at a "wealthy complete family" the most, it was that girl. Mia Im. Let’s just say that Naeun was probably number one on Mia's list of "People to socially destroy". And for two years now, Naeun has held her ground against small, but threatening advances from the girl. And you may wonder why? Why would Naeun, out of all people anger Mia enough to become such a target? 
            Entering a school looking like a completely shy nerd was probably the worst way to start high school. Huge framed glasses, a neat ponytail, and the most unappealing clothes most have set eyes on was a perfect way to catch the attention of rich and spoiled brats. Of course it only took two days. Two days for Mia to lower Naeun's status to the depths of a deep dark pit of despair. And it took one week for the smart Naeun to realize the mistake she was making. She replaced her glasses with contacts, went shopping, and within days she had climbed out of the deep dark pit of depair and was on her way to conquer the golden social pyramid. Fueled by confidence of course. The first time anyone's been able to get out of Mia's death trap. Now everyone believes Naeun to be the perfect person. Everyone but Mia. 
            "Guys let’s leave, there’s no one here," Naeun let out a huge breath of relief when she heard the wind chimes at the door sound again. They were gone. She wanted to slump to the ground, but instead she turned the corner and prepared to go back to the counter to bake the cake. 
            "What are you doing back there?" Naeun let out a small scream when she hit the chest of her friend, Luhan. He also worked at the bakery, but he was in university, therefore not knowing anything about Naeun's secret lives. 
            "Idiot! You scared me! I almost had a heart attack!" she exclaimed slapping his arm as hard as she could, hearing a satisfying sound and Luhan's cry of pain.
            "Ow! What was that for! You're the one snooping around the supply room! What were you doing? Stealing candy? I told you to stop doing that! You'll get cavities-" she rolled her eyes and walked past him and to her cake.
            "I'm aware dad," she says sarcastically, shooting him a glare while pouring her cake mix into the cake mold. Luhan only grinned at her, his eyes twinkling.

            "Unni! You're back!" the moment she stepped into her small apartment she was attacked by a pair of arms that was wrapped around her waist. She looked down to see her sister's huge eyes looking back at her, her crooked teeth showing as she smiled a huge smile. Naeun smiled, patting her sister's hair.
            "Hyemi, let go of me so I can go make us some dinner," she says gently to her little sister. Also known as the one thing she treasures more than herself. It wasn't like she was selfish. But with a life like her's, she needed to think for herself more than others. She felt the pressure around her waist loosen as her sister stepped back, never losing her toothy grin as she watched her unni make her way to the kitchen. Naeun took out a pack of noodles from the fridge and placed them in the boiling water on the stove, waiting for them to cook. She didn't feel like making a complicated dinner tonight, for she was tired enough from work. She left the noodles to cook and went to take out her books and homework. Fortunately for her, there wasn't much homework tonight, only some history to study. Also known as her favorite subject. Her eyes darted from word to word as she took in all the information, occasionally jotting down some notes. 
            "Unni, your noodles," she heard her sister's soft voice and turned to her food that was boiling on the stove. She rushed over and turned it off, pouring the noodles into two bowls. She carried them back to the table, placing one down for her and one for her sister. 
            "How was your day today Hyemi?" Naeun asked her little sister. 
            "Fun! We drew some stuff, but maths is really hard!" her sister whined. Naeun smiled in amusement.
            "Tell unni if you have trouble okay?" she asked her. Hyemi nodded in understanding and continued at her noodles. Naeun silently watched her little sister. Her bubbliness, her innocence. She hoped with all her heart her sister would forever be innocent like this. She thought about the horrible people in her life and realized how easy it would be for Hyemi to lose what she had now. Purity. She never told her about the evil intentions of her parents. The very people that had abandoned them and left them to fend for themselves. Naeun clenched her fist as she thought about their faces. One day kind and smiling. The next, nothing was left. Hyemi didn't need to know about it though. She didn't need to carry the burden of hatred on her shoulders. It was already heavy enough on Naeun. Like iron, weighing down the little bits of strength she had at the end of the days. She sighed as she started eating her dinner. How much longer could she hold this secret? Her friends, everyone... if they found out would it all be different? Would she ever meet someone who could accept her for her real life and not her fake one? Deep down, inside her heart, Naeun wished and wished for that to be a reality one day. 


Hi! Thanks for reading my first chapter!~ More will come soon, and please comment and subscribe! Constructive criticism is very welcome!~

~Yoonhye <3