Chapter 3

Living as a Princess (And a Pauper)

Lying in bed, her mind lost in a world of her own. It was something that Naeun loved to do. She could think about anything. Most of the time, the things she thought about had nothing to do with real life. Nothing to do with her real life that is. But tonight was different. Instead of dreaming, she found herself thinking back to the day she just had. Everything had seemed so normal. She went to work, got harassed by Mia… but she knew that today someone had caused a ripple in her calm pond of life. 

          And she knew that it was going to take a long time to stop thinking about him.

          She held her hand up to her face, unconsciously tracing her fingers across where he had touched it. Now that she thought of it, his touch was like a burn. Because she could still feel it. And when she felt it she thought of his face. There was something very sincere about the boy. Something she simply couldn’t comprehend. 

          What am I doing? I only exchanged such little words with him… Why am I assuming such strange things?

          Naeun smiled a little despite the absurdity of her thoughts. Inside her little apartment, on her small bed, no one could tell her what to think and what not to. It’s not like these thoughts would distract her everyday life right?

Naeun did everything she could to push the thoughts out of her head as she sat in the school library. But for some reason, the words on the history textbook that normally seemed so appealing to her… no longer stood out. Instead they were just words. The information that they pieced together didn’t seem to fit into Naeun’s mind today. 

          I have to see him today. 

          Whether it was creepy or normal, Naeun couldn’t tell anymore. She just knew that she needed to talk to him. Talk to this mysterious person who decided to drop into her life and leave a mark. 

          But what do I say?

          It wasn’t like she had anything to say. Unless she could accidentally bump into him again. Then she remembered. She had left without saying a goodbye. Maybe she could apologize for that….

          She was quickly snapped out of her haze when she heard the shrill sound of the bell. It made her flinch slightly as she shakily grabbed her books and notes. It wasn’t everyday that the calm Naeun becomes jumpy. I really need to stop she thought, mentally kicking herself for her idiocy. She hurried off to her next class, maneuvering through the crowds of people with ease from years of practice. Suddenly, she stopped in her tracks. She felt her beat a little faster, her muscles tense up and warmth come to her cheeks. She saw him. The boy that had been on her mind for eleven agonizing hours. She had to talk to him before class started. She had to. He wasn’t even that far away. And he wasn’t walking either. Naeun took a deep breath, trying to relax every muscle in her body. This isn’t me. Sehun, who are you and what have you done to me? She thought desperately. Never has Naeun ever lost her calm composture in front of people. But she was afraid of what would happen when she talked to him again. It was like pouring oil in a fire. Something that was bound to explode. She mustered up all the courage she had in her body and began to take steps towards him, hugging her books to her chest tightly, releasing some of the stress. Almost there… 

          “Naeun! Let’s go to class!”

          She stopped again, this time her eyes wide and open in a silent gasp. No… she couldn’t let her friends know about this. She couldn’t really put down an explanation as to why, but she just felt that if her friends found out, it was a part of her dignity gone. 

          But right now, she was just beyond annoyed. Jeesun had to come at a time like this. She never really liked Jeesun in the first place! 

          Get a grip Naeun! Stop letting this boy whose only fingertips away ruin you! 

          "Yeah lets go," Naeun forced out a smile that felt so out of place. Her heart clenched at the feeling of a lost opportunity. 

It took some time to escape the grasps of her friends. They had been invited to a party at Mia's house. Of course more than half the school of decent people were invited. And of course, Naeun preferred reading a nice book at home rather than go to a mansion filled with drunk teenagers and loud music. The worst part was the suspicion. The suspicion they had about Naeun's lack of involvement in their "normal" day to day activities. Never had Naeun ever been shopping with them. Never a sleepover. Never a double date. It was about time Naeun found a way to reassure everyone that she was still living a princess life. But she knew that this life was fragile. If anyone asked to go to her house, if anyone asked to meet her parents... it would all be over. 

          Is this all really worth the energy? The energy I spend to protect my sister, my image, my life? Wouldn't it be easier if I just dropped to the very bottom and stayed there?

          She would never know. And she would never try either. 

          Naeun sighed as she prepared her normal routine throughout the day, standing at the exit of the school, ready to walk to work again. But a thought hit her. Today, her shift was in the evening. She had two hours. She could go and find that boy. Sehun. With a lighter mood, she turned back into the school, lightly jogging. Now where does she start? Maybe he left already? Naeun made the decision to seek him out anyway. It was worth a try. 

It had been over half an exhausting hour. Naeun breathed heavily as she leaned against one of the lockers. He must've left by now. She might as well leave. And so with a heavy heart, Naeun walked back to the school exit. But something caught her eye as she walked past the library. She walked backwards and peeked through the window, feeling like everything internally lit up as she saw a familiar face sitting at one of the tables, his head in a book.

          Found him

          She watched him for a little more than two minutes. No one was around at the time, otherwise this was definitely not something she would be doing. It could almost be considered creepy, the way she was just watching him. But something about him fascinated her to the very end. The way his eyes were so focused. The way he almost glared at the textbook when he couldn't figure out a problem, his fingers running through his hair. His hands moving at the speed of light as notes appeared on his paper. Naeun's lips unconsciously curved up into a smile. The sight of him looking so focused and frustrated... she almost found it cute. 

          I have gone mad. 

          The way she was acting was like comparing an emo kid to a five year old hyper little boy. Because inside her heart was fluttering, and she swore there were little fairies dancing inside her brain. Her emotions were a mess. What would happen if she actually talked to him? Its the library, she could easily pretend she was studying and make her way inside. 

          Naeun took a deep breath, pushing all the worries and anxiety to the back of her mind as she pulled the door open. An act of recklessness that was rarely performed by Naeun. Her conscience always won her over but not this time. 

Sehun was so focused on his work that nothing around him seemed to be moving. Or alive. AP courses were impossible and he just wanted to bang his fist on the table from frustration. 

          "May I sit here?" 

The voice seemed to break Sehun out of his string of thoughts. He thought of how scary it was that the girl he had been struggling to talk to was right here in front of him. It terrified him. He looked up from his work at the girl that was standing by him. Her brown eyes seemed to capture him. Grab him, and he struggled to get free. But to no avail. 

          "Uh y-yeah sure," he mentally facepalmed himself for stuttering. Why did he stutter?! This wasn't him. This was far from his normal confident self. He couldn't seem to break his stare as he watched her sit down a seat away from him, pulling out her books. It confused him when she pulled out a grade eleven textbook.

          "Are you in grade eleven? I never see you around or in my classes," he asked her. She shook her head.

          "No, I'm in grade ten but I take grade eleven history," she explained with a small smile playing on her lips. Sehun knew from observation that she was a relatively serious person. But today, she looked happy. Her eyes twinkled, and her smile seemed to reflect the happiness that was from deep inside of her soul. And looking at that made him happy as well. 

          "You must be pretty smart then," Sehun complimented her, grinning. He saw her eyes widened just a slight bit as she looked down at the table, her hair covering her cheeks. He all of a sudden felt a kind of warmth in his chest. The kind that he felt when he saw puppies or kittens. 

She's never like this. She's always so confident and stands so tall...

And that was what made him feel so special. Because he knew she was only like this when he talked to her. The way she never really made direct eye contact with him for more than a few seconds. And he was sure that he behaved the same way around her as well. 

          "Thanks, Sehun," the way she said his name, he wanted to hear it again. Names were like a connection to a person. And he wanted this connection to be stronger. He couldn't even deny it.   


Third chapter ^_^ There will be more drama coming up!

Just a note, but since its summer break i will be updating every day or every second day, but if I'm really busy please be understanding! Thanks!

Hopefully I'll get this story finished before school starts!

Please comment and subscribe! Constructive criticism is always welcome ^^

~Yoonhye <3