Chapter 4

Living as a Princess (And a Pauper)

If fate were to bring them together would he still have to make a move?
          Sehun couldn't stop asking himself that. Would fate really string together a princess and a boy who sits on the sidelines with his head in a book? Sehun wasn't exactly "popular" amongst the people. He was easy going, he had a few friends. But the way he always watched and never participated in activities that a normal (or crazy) high school student did, almost made him seem like a wallflower. Especially when he took his time to observe a princess. But he couldn't help but wonder, why a princess would bother paying attention to him? He's seen the horrible things the queens have done, as well as the kings, and the princess were just one step behind them. But in every situation that Naeun's friends have caused chaos, she was always there to pick up the pieces. Either that or she wasn't there at all. It just didn’t seem right. Kindness doesn’t get people to where they are now. No matter how twisted that sounds, the world just wasn’t fair. Because she was just too perfect to be real. How could one be so beautiful and yet so kind?

               “Naeun! You have to go! We all have to be there! Mia’s is gonna be expecting us! Beside it’s going to be tons of fun. Friday night, she has a pool, there’s going to be boys,” Naeun was about to lose her temper. She felt like her skull was going to explode soon. Today was very stressful for the girl. Today was the day of her history eleven exam, and she could not afford a B. And her very annoying and clueless friends did not help whatsoever.

                “I can’t, I promised to watch a movie with my sister that night,” Naeun said through her teeth.

                Jeesun raised an eyebrow.

                “What movie? Where?”

                “Toy Story three,” Naeun replied with ease.

                “If you promised your sister, go ahead I guess… You knew about this party for a while, why did you plan that day?” this time it was Yuna. She had hoped she would speak up, but now even Yuna was skeptical.

                Naeun froze for a moment. What could she say?

                “My sister wanted it. So I listened,” she replied stubbornly. Out of the corner of her eyes she saw Jeesun roll her gaze. Naeun didn’t understand why she felt so annoyed at the gesture.

                “Fine, be that way Naeun. I’m just warning you. Princess life won’t wait for you to act like it forever,” Jeesun said with a slight sneer. Naeun could’ve sworn she felt her heart stop for a brief second. The words seemed so threatening. Words had never affected Naeun, but this was different. It was like striking a core.

                Naeun kept shut as she watched her friends turn away from her and stalk into the crowd. The people around her looked at her, either giggling or whispering to each other. The feeling was similar to when she first entered the school as an antisocial nerd. Naeun sighed and smacked her textbook against her head gently. Whatever. There are more important things in life than them and high school parties. Naeun always swore she would never go to a high school party. All that involved in them was drugs, loud music, alcohol, dancing, and other things she’d rather not talk about. She took a deep breath and prepared to head to her history class, even though she was ten minutes early. Before she could even move, she felt a hand on her shoulder. She turned around tensed, but relaxed when she was faced with the familiar boy she had a conversation in the library with yesterday. When her eyes met his, she felt a small smile creep up her face as she remembered her conversation with him yesterday. It had been one of the most carefree and happiest moments of her stressful life. The level of enjoyment could almost be matched with Naeun’s happiness of seeing her little sister smile.

                “Friends can be frustrating eh?” he asked her gently. Naeun nodded.

                “Yeah,” she breathed. She felt so at ease knowing that they could talk without being awkward anymore.

                “What’s your next class?” he asked her. For a second she was completely braindead. She couldn’t even remember what class was next!

                “Uhhh… H-history,” she said, her words cut. She could’ve sworn she saw a small smirk play on his lips.

                “Too bad I’m not in that class right now. Wanna talk after school?” he asked her. She nodded, her voice refusing to turn into words.

                “Okay well good luck,”

                Sehun had walked away after that. But Naeun only hugged her books tightly, with her eyes closed. She couldn’t seem to stop smiling. The butterflies in her stomach couldn’t seem to calm down.

                It was too bad she didn’t notice that Jeesun had turned her head back and saw their encounter.

When class ended Naeun was the first out of the classroom. She had finished her exam, and she was sure she had passed with a good mark. With a smile on her face, the “princess” passed by every classroom, skimming the heads to look for Sehun. After five classrooms she finally found him. Everyone in the class was preparing their bags to leave, and lucky for her, he was sitting nearest to the outside. She stood by the door, waiting as students streamed out from the door. She saw boys eye her disturbingly and she cringed, praying for Sehun to hurry up. As soon as she saw him, she leaped out of her spot and slapped his back.

                “hi!” she said cheerfully. Sehun flinched at first, but smiled at the sight of the happy princess. The people around them were sure surprised as well.

                “Hey Naeun, wait one second while I get my stuff from my locker,” he said patting her head gently. Naeun closed her eyes briefly, feeling heat rise to her cheeks. What had happened that suddenly connected them? Was this fate? She stumbled back and leaned against the wall, hoping the coolness of the concrete could cool down her cheeks. It was as if nothing mattered.

                I’ve fallen haven’t I? So quickly, and so suddenly

                She had broken her own rules. She didn’t want anything distracting her from her busy life. Hell she even made up a life just to prevent distractions. And here she was clinging to a boy like a lost puppy. And nothing made her want to stop.

                “Lost in thought,” Naeun’s eyes widened when she remembered her awkward position. Cheek pressed against the wall, eyes half closed. She stood up straight quickly.

                “Sorry,” she mumbled. Sehun laughed.

                “You look really tired,”

                “I am,”

                “History exam?”

                “How did you know?”

                “Some of my friends are in your class,”

                And with that the conversation started. Nothing around them seemed to exist. She just talked to him and walked, not caring where her feet took her.

                “So are you going to the party on Friday?” Sehun asked her. It was almost a test really. He just wanted to see her answer.

                “No. Are you?” she asked him. He shook his head.

                “I wasn’t invited,”

                Naeun turned to him a little shocked. Wasn’t invited? How could that be? Almost everyone was invited other than the very unpopular people, or the nerds. Then again, she didn’t know what category Sehun fell under. All she knew was that she did take some comfort in the knowledge of him not being a king. Or anything near one.

                “You were lying when you said you had to watch a movie with your little sister weren’t you?” he asked her suddenly. That caught Naeun off guard.

                “You heard?”

                “Yeah,”

                “I don’t like loud music. I prefer… classic. Or just slow songs. I prefer reading than screaming. I prefer… walking than dancing. I prefer water over alcohol. And I also prefer hugging a teddybear rather than making out,” she added the last part with a small smirk. She didn’t even want to know the things her friends were going to do that night.

                Sehun was thoroughly intrigued.

                “I could say the exact same about myself. Friday nights are always my relaxing nights,” he said with a sigh. Naeun stole a glance at his face. She could tell he was a strong person. Someone who didn’t listen to what other people said. Someone who was true to himself. A lot like her.

                “Looks like we have a lot in common,” she sighed. Sehun smiled, while looking at his feet. A thought entered his mind, but he was too scared to even process it clearly. He didn’t even process it at all before he blurted it out.

                “How about you come to my house on Friday?” he asked. He resisted the urge to cover his mouth at the reckless request. Naeun’s eyes almost brightened.

                But then she realized the pitchfork in the road. She could go to the path that seemed so bright and happy. She could say yes. But the path could lead to consequences. What would happen if people found out? She was already risking her status. She was risking everything by falling. Then again she could say no. The path looked so much darker. Screw this.

                “Sure,” she didn’t care about the end of the paths anymore. Sehun widened his eyes, not expecting the answer. He never in his life imagined this. He never paid attention the princesses, or the queens, or the kings or the school. To him they were all cocky bastards that he didn’t want to go near. Then there was this girl. A girl that he was sure was the most special he had ever met.

                “We can walk home together… maybe watch a movie?” he pushed it a little further. She nodded her eyes brightening up.

                “Yeah!” Naeun felt her heart soar. It really did feel like it. Never had she ever been to a friend’s house at night let alone a guy. It wasn’t like her to feel so excited about something new like this. But this was different. Very different. But then she remembered something.

                “Sehun, I have a little sister though, I can’t leave her alone at home,” she murmured, feeling her mood go down. Sehun cocked his head to the side.

                “What about your parents?” Naeun felt a squeeze in her chest. Anger, despair. Fear. Anger at her parents for abandoning them. Fear of Sehun finding out.

                “They’re on a business trip,” she said tensely. Sehun, was confused. But nonetheless he pushed the thoughts away.

                “Bring her over then. It’ll be a good night,” he said with a smile. Naeun breathed out a sigh of relief. How had she met such a perfect person, who asks her to watch a movie with him, and lets her bring her little sister? She’ll never know.

                “Thanks Sehun,”  

                Naeun walked home with a light heart. Everything felt like it fit into place. And with Sehun, it was like nothing really mattered. Hell I could even give up a princess status for him. She often wondered why she still had it. Why it was worth it. Sometimes the status made her so frustrated she just wanted to scream to the world that she was a poor peasant. But with Sehun, it was like an escape. It was like he wasn’t part of this. Like an island off a land of war where no one resided in. Sehun was perfection compared to any of the kings that existed in the school. Because sometimes perfection comes in packages that are invisible to the hungrier eyes. 


Did you guys get the last quote? Lol maybe I kind of at making quotes. It wasn't intentional though. It just literally slipped out haha. But basically it means that sometimes "perfect" people aren't always the kind that you expect them to be. And for the people who are desperate to find their "perfect" type they may just go for someone who looks perfect or seems perfect but really isn't on the inside. Yeah deep explanation done. ^^. So I hinted some drama in here, I dont know if you caught it. If you didn't you'll just have to wait and see ;)

So thanks for reading guys! Please subscribe and comment and if you think I deserve it, vote ^_^

Oh yeah so I'm not exactly sure I'm going to update tommorow because I double updated today :) but I'll try ^^

~Yoonhye