Chapter 1

Yes, Mr. Teacher

 

Min Ji groaned as her mom yelled at her to get up. It was the first day of school...again. She slid out of bed and did her normal routine.

She put on her uniform that she got so tired of wearing, with the same name tag.

'No Min Ji. Year 3.' [a/n in Korea, there are 3 years of high school because there's 6 years in elementary right?]

She's had the same one for two years, and this is her third.

Min Ji walked down the stairs, taking her precious time. Her mother set a plate of breakfast on the table. Her younger brother was already eating. He was in elementary school in his 3rd year. The perfect straight 'A' brother he was. Her mother gave up on Min Ji the first time she didn't graduate. Her father would've probably still had hope in her, but he has been in heaven for quite some time now.

 

“So Min Ji, you're going to graduate this year right?” her mother asked, even though she knew the answer.

“I failed the last 2 years, I don't get why you think I'm going to pass this year.” she said, pouring syrup on her pancakes.

Her mother sighed. Ever since her father's death, Min Ji hasn't been trying in school. They were lucky she passed her second year in high school.

“Noona, you should try to pass this year.” Hyun Woo said, pushing up his glasses.

“Eat your breakfast butthead.” she playfully glared at her little brother.

He stuck his tongue out at her.

 

Min Ji held Hyun Woo's hand as she walked him to his school.

“Good luck on your first day.” she knelt down in front of him and combed some of his hair down.

“You too!”

“Noona loves you.”

“Hyun Woo loves noona.” he smiled and made a heart with his arms.

Min Ji chuckled and patted his .

“Bye noona!” he waved and ran into the school.

 

Min Ji sighed and walked up her school steps.

I really need to get out of here...

She walked into the classroom and heard murmurs around the room.

“I heard this is her 5th year as a senior.”

“3rd year stupid!”

“Whatever. That's still a lot. Isn't she like 23 now?”

“I don't know.”

Min Ji rolled her eyes.

“I'm 20. Turning 21 in December. Now can you mind your own business?!” she yelled.

They stopped talking immediately. That was one of the perks about being held back. She was the oldest among her classmates. They still gave her respect even though she wasn't the best student.

 

“I heard we're getting a new teacher.”

Min Ji's ears perked up.

New teacher? Finally something new..

“Yeah, but I heard he's nerdy. I was hoping for a hott teacher.”

“Maybe he'll be an easy teacher.”

“Hopefully.”

 

The bell rang and a man walked in. He was definitely young. His hair was black and combed back. He smiled to the class behind his big black glasses. He was wearing a suit and a bow tie.

“Hello everyone! I'm your teacher Mr. Nam. This is my first year teaching, so please don't judge me. I'm a little nervous...” he said, fiddling with his suitcase.

“How old are you?!” a student yelled.

“I'm not going to reveal my age! That's like the most important rule a teacher must follow.” he said, obviously flustered at the question.

“I say 35!” another student blurted.

“What?! 35?! I'm 24!” he covered his mouth the second he said that out loud.

Min Ji raised an eyebrow at him.

Pabo...and you call yourself a teacher?

 

“Alright, I'll be telling you your seats! It's in alphabetical order.” he said and cleared his throat. “Starting over here with Ahn Daniel!”

Min Ji just stared off into space, uninterested in the other classmates. It's not like she'll be talking to them anyways.

“No Min Ji!” he called out.

Min Ji lazily grabbed her bag and sat at the table that she was assigned.

“And next to her...No Min Woo.”

A cute boy sat down next to her and smiled. It was one of the desks that sat 2 people.

“Annyeong, I'm Min Woo! Hope we can be friends!” he said cheerfully.

Min Ji gave him a look, scoffed and continued to look to the front.

He pouted and sulked in his chair.

“No hats Min Woo-sshi.” Mr. Nam said.

“Oh, de. Mianheyo, I forgot.”

 

“Okay, that's what you guys have to do for the first assignment!” Mr. Nam said after assigning the class a project.

Everyone groaned.

“You all are seniors. College is much worse, trust me. Anyways, any questions?”

A student raised his hand.

“Yes, Sungyeol-sshi?”

“How are babies made?”

The class erupted into laughter. His friends high-fived him.

“Ha ha, very funny. Now get to work. Page 25.”

 

The class started to write on their papers. Min Ji just sat there staring at the same math problems she has been doing for the last 2 years. Min Woo elbowed her, signaling that Mr. Nam was coming her way.

“What? So annoying...” she snapped.

Min Woo sighed and continued his work.

“Min Ji-sshi, is there a problem?” Mr. Nam asked.

“No.”

“Then why aren't you working?”

“Why should I?”

“Why shouldn't you?”

She looked at the clock and smirked. He waited for her answer. Then the bell rang for lunch.

Mr. Nam straightened up and looked around at all the students leaving the classroom.

“Oh...” he scratched the back of his head.

 

Once the classroom was empty, she walked up to his desk and looked at all of the papers he had.

He watched her, with his hands in his pockets.

“Look, I've been here for 2 years longer than I should, and I'm sick of people thinking I can actually graduate when I can't. So just leave me alone, and this year will be easy for you.”

“But you can graduate.”

“No I can't!” she yelled. “I just can't!”

“Because you don't try.”

“Who are you to tell me what I do?”

“I'm your teacher and I can already tell that you don't try. You don't give yourself enough credit of what you're capable of.”

“This is your first year. What do you know?”

“A lot.”

“Whatever.” and she walked out.

 

Mr. Nam leaned on his desk and sighed.

“Well she's better than what the other teachers said about her.” he whispered to himself, forming a plan to help her.

You're going to graduate this year No Min Ji, no matter what.

============

*waits for co-author to come back from camping*

haha, there's the first chapter! :)

thanks for everyone that subscribed already! really means a lot!