The Link

Like Air

It was a practiced routine for Yoona. She would wait patiently in her bed, pretending to be asleep, waiting for all of her members to drift into their dreams. She would hurriedly slip on her sneakers and race across the snowy streets to the subway station until she was able to exchange her clunky converse for light ballet slippers. 

 
 
Soon, Yoona didn't care if the light shone on her. She wanted it to land on her. Being able to dance in front of everyone without being judged for her looks was such an amazing feeling - so exhilarating. Yoona loved being able to express her dancing in steps she herself had choreographed - everything was just her. The cute stage dances she did was always designed by another - she was like a puppet that could only follow along. Now she could truly show her talents - the years of arduous, soul crushing training, a pretty face couldn't do anything for her here. She liked it that way. 
 
 
 
One day as she was slipping inside the underground entrance, the light was being beamed on a similar figure she had seen before. He danced with passion and energy in each step - charisma oozing from every sweep of his feet, every flick of his hair. His song came to an ending, and he bowed - looking straight at the audience. That face seemed so familiar, but the shadows thrown down by the harsh beam was confusing her. As he slipped away into the crowd, heading to his place in the back - Yoona decided to follow. 
"Excuse me sir, have I seen you before?' she asked curiously as she tapped his shoulder.
"Um ma'm, I believe we haven't," he answered as he swiveled around smoothly.
His voice had a familiar ring to it. " He was probably the guy I bumped into," she thought. She stared at his face as realization sprung upon her. 
"Taemin, how long have you been coming here?" Yoona questioned with surprised - his baby face registering. The newest boy group, Shinee's maknae came to these types of places?
"Yoona? You come here as well?" He asked, obviously shocked.
"So you must have seen me dance," Yoona blurted. Pink painted Taemin's face as he shyly remarked, "Yoona, you dance very beautifully. I never seen you so light and happy."
Yoona blushed a deep red shade. 
"Your dance was strong and well done! It seems like you knew what you wanted to convey" she praised eagerly, her eyes lighting up. "And I'm guessing you been going here for awhile in secret?" She asked with a teasing chuckle.
"Please keep it a secret - I'll keep yours," Taemin pleaded. "I'm sure we're here for the same reason."
Yoona paused a moment, laughing inside as she saw him fidget. She extended her small finger - "Promise?" 
"Promise." 
 
 
 
Several months past, and Yoona and Taemin got closer. They both loved to dance, both feeling burdened by their fame. They enjoyed the way dance relieved their stress - and watching others with the same flaming passion was just as much fun.
 
 
 Their awkwardness turned into something special, fading into a comfortable friendship. When either of them had a bad day, no explanation as needed, It was usually the same thing: schedules, fans, crazy company requests, lack of sleep - loneliness, unfair criticisms. The two would just dance, comforting each other with every move - like a warm embrace on a rainy day. They came to admire each other's qualities. Yoona's quirkiness matched well with Taemin's calm, collected front - her loud laugh matched with his slight smile. She loved the grace of ballet; he was passionate about his hip hop ways.
 
 There was even one time when they danced together. The spotlight landed on Taemin, and he easily invited blushing Yoona up with him - facing the large crowd together. Their moves matched perfectly - a surprising mix of contemporary and traditional styles. He easily kept up with her arched leaps with complex body freezes; she matched his intense popping with elegant pirouettes. At the end, Taemin grabbed Yoona's hand, and the two bowed together - grinning like love struck teenagers. He never stopped holding her hand even when they blended back into the crowd, but Yoona didn't mind. His hands were warm, and she liked the feeling.
 
 
 
The pair became increasingly attached to their little hiding place. It was the only place where they could talk, laugh, and dance together - being themselves and letting loose away from the prying cameras and crazy paparazzi. The only place where they didn't have to put up a show or an act for anybody, no photographer suspected stars to be at a dingy subway station in the wee hours of the morning. 
 
 
The light spotted Yoona and Taemin, once again signaling them to go up and perform. They had shared a large number of dances together - quickly gaining catcalls and whistles from the crowd who now identified them as partners. But this dance was different. She was ready to match Taemin's swift moves - according to the intense bass, until the song rapidly transitioned into a soft and elegant piano melody. Perfect for a slow, intimate dance.
 
 
Yoona's heart was racing. "I haven't done a slow dance in so long." she whispered to Taemin, fear gripping her chest - she didn't want to be reduced to a talentless idol before these people.
"I'll guide you," he replied calmly as he placed his arms around her waist. "Wrap your arms around my neck."
She stiffly placed her arms around his neck, and her stomach filled with butterflies. Her eyebrows creased in nervousness, palms becoming sweaty. "If you feel uncomfortable, we could stop the dance Taemin," she suggested softly.
"Hey, you know the rules. You can't withdraw from a dance. Besides, I chose the song." Taemin whispered softly in her ear, smiling proudly as she gazed up at him with wide eyes.  
 
 
As he began to gently sway her from side to side, Yoona became even more flustered. 
"Why would he want to slow dance with me? Why would he choose this song? Why did he even request it in the first place?" These questions were spreading throughout her mind. 
 
 
Their pace matched to the note, and she couldn't help but stare at him. Hie eyes were a light brown, and his cheeks were round, and blushing pink. Everything about him gave her the warm feeling in her heart. Too soon the song was approaching it's end, and their faces were centimeters away from one other. She felt worried and scared: worried that she messed up the dance, scared that Taemin might have read her as they danced - clinging to each other. Taemin slowly leaned in and locked their gazes, placing a hand on her newly dyed golden hair.
 
 
"Im Yoona, will you be my girlfriend?" He breathed into her ear, eyelashes fluttering against her cheek before pulling back to look at her reaction.
Yoona stared at him bewildered, and unable to answer. Her mind was racing, filled with thoughts of her and Taemin being together. Their careers, the idol status, the crazy people following them - maybe even lurking at their dorms now. She couldn't - couldn't risk everything, her career - her dreams - his future for such a selfish feeling as that in her heart. 
 

"Taemin, I -" Yoona wasn't able to finish her sentence because Taemin leaned in to place his soft lips on hers. Yoona was shocked with feeling of his lips against hers - frozen, unable to respond to his seductive kiss. But the warm, melting feeling slowly caused her to close her eyes.
 
 
They quickly became the only two in the world.
 
 
Everything made sense then - the jittery nerves, the sweaty palms, the rapid heartbeats - all around him. He made her feel safe,happy, and loved; he understood her - shared her struggles, her griefs, the burdens, all the crushing pressure of being known by the public.
 
 
 She was able to be just her around him. She was able to escape her packed life with him. With Taemin. Her Taemin.