Overcoming

Like Air

Yoona stared at herself in the big mirror on the wall. - scrutinizing her sweaty frame, trembling knees. The dance room was filled with music. Yoona closed her eyes and started to move while consciously counting the beat.

Just do what Donghae and the therapist told me to. 
 
Her legs started to move slowly, matching with the rhythm. She was slowly beginning to get it - after hours in the practice room. Maybe she should keep trying.
"One and two -" she was cut of as she stumbled, falling hard on the ground.
Yoona felt tears forming in her eyes. Why was it so hard?  
"What's the point of trying if you keep failing? It's so much easier to quit," she mumbled under her breath - pulling her knees to her chest.
"Because it's easier to walk away then fight for what you love," Donghae said as he glided in.
He sat next to her as she sniffed and wiped her tears. "Did you hear me?"
He nodded in response. 
Her lips quivered as she ducked her head, feeling exhausted. She had been practicing since seven in the evening, and now the clock had just struck eleven pm. Today was the second month of this torturous process. Even though her members were very supportive - they had come to watch her almost everyday, but they were also very busy. Schedules kept them from really knowing how she had improved, from saying words that really meant something to her. Was everything really worth it? Just to go back on stage and be scrutinized again? 
 
Donghae pulled her into a hug, patting her hair as she sobbed softly into his shirt. "It's okay. You will get better. You will dance again."
 
She was the type of person to push people away who tried to help her - mainly because she never really needed help. Yoona was just used to dealing with problems on her own. Though, for once in her life she was glad - glad that he was there. Supporting her, cheering her on, and never leaving her side even though she whined often. Yoona just let it out, crying relentlesly - probably staining his shirt with traces of her mascara. She didn't realize she had held in her tears for so long. Stuffing them away in a bottle. Hiding her sadness to make others happy.
 
"Dancing is the only thing that makes me feel alive. But now. I can't even do that," she whimpered softly - voice hoarse.
"Hush! Get up on your feet!" Donghae exclaimed as he released Yoona and stood up, extending his hand to pull her up.
"What are you going to do now?" She asked, standing up.
"Help you. Now just stay calm and be patient. Breathe in and breathe out." 
 
Yoona sighed. "Here goes nothing."
She slowly started moving her legs , swaying her arms slowly. Twirling awkwardly across the room.
She was doing it. There were moments when she stumbled and fell, but Donghae was always there to support and encourage her to get up and moving again. As long as she was still moving her legs, it was enough for him. 
 
 
 
 
"I think that's it for today Yoona," he finally declared - patting her sweaty shoulders. 
"Alright - just one more time?"
Donghae nodded in approval. "Only one more time - don't want you pushing yourself. Five, six, seven - eight."
Yoona started moving. Her legs smoothly flowing, almost like they used to. Slowly, her arms began following the choreography. She spun around the room - almost effortlessly. Except for the twitches of pain in her ankle. 
 
The song was coming softly to an end - she had to do it. Even if she hit the ground, flat on her - she had to at least try. There wasn't a better time. 
She took a deep breath of air - stopping on one side of the room. Her heart was beating rapidly - butterflies fluttered in her stomach. Twirling swiftly, she leapt - pointing her toes, arching her back.
As her feet touched the ground on the other side of the room - her cheeks burst with a victorious smile, tears slipping from her eyes. 
She looked over at Donghae, wanting to hear his reaction. "Don't worry. I saw," he assured - a smile playing on his lips.
Yoona couldn't help but grin uncontrollably. "I did it, Donghae-ah. I did it."