Therapy

Like Air

Yoona slowly approached the building. It had blank white walls, shutters shut tightly. Her heart was racing - this was it. 

"Come on Yoona. You can do this." As she walked towards the entrance, she wanted to just turn and run away, but Donghae stopped her - holding onto her arm tightly as she turned.
"Move Donghae! I can't go in there! It's scary! I can't! I don't want to go in!" She started screaming, forgetting that she was still Korea's Im Yoona. 
He didn't say a word, allowing her to scream at him, only patting her arm gently - pointing at the people who were starting to gather and stare.
"It's normal Yoona. Don't worry. I'll be right next to you," he smiled.
 
 
She approached the desk to ask about her appointment. 
"Ms.Im please fill out these forms," the lady asked politely - handing over a clipboard and pointing towards the chairs. "The doctor will be ready soon."
Yoona took the files and settled into a seat, skimming the questions quickly. There were the basic ones about her birth date, height, weight - then there were those others. The ones that asked about the nature of the accident, the injury - the type and duration. Things that were hard for her to think about. As she slowly filled in the boxes one by one, she couldn't help but steal a glance at Donghae. He was just staring outside, admiring the view.
I don't understand why he would put up with me. He even offered to come with me. He even dealt with my tantrum. 
 
 
 
Yoona stood up and gave her forms to the front desk.
"Take a seat Miss Im, we'll call you when it's your turn. Is that your boyfriend accompanying you?" The lady asked, curiosity etched all over her face. The nation's idol dating a nobody - that would be good. .
Yoona blushed a bright red.
"No. His just a friend," she answered, quickly returned to her seat.
 
 
As the clock ticked away, Yoona bit her lips, more nervous than expected. Her stomach was crawling with butterflies, the bad kind - and she constantly played with her fingers, twiddling her thumbs as she tried to calm herself.
"You okay?" Donghae whispered in her ear, concerned.
She stared at him. Her eyes were wide, and scared. She shook her head, signaling that she wasn't okay at all. "I'm scared. What if I can't do it? I don't think I'll be to do it alone." 
He took her hand, and held it gently, rubbing it to calm her nerves.
Yoona ducked her head, retracting her and shyly. 
"I'll be with you okay?" 
She smiled, glad that she hadn't push him away. What she needed was reassurance. And Donghae gave her that.
 
 
 
"Miss Im, you can enter."
Yoona stood up and took Donghae's hand, clutching it tightly as they entered the therapy room.
"The doctor will be here shortly."
She was terrified. "What if I fail? What if I'm too weak to go through therapy?" She muttered under her breathe.
"Hey. Don't say that. I'll help you get back on your feet." 
He wasn't lying. He couldn't be lying - she needed him.
 
 
As the session went on, the doctor gave her tips on maintaining a healthy diet as well as proactive exercises which she could do all day long - be it even short walks to the bathroom or to get the mail. He warned her that most people quit because they didn't have the determination to continue practicing, not because it was impossible. "I believe that you can do it Miss Im. You have energy inside you. Don't give up," the therapist said with an encouraging smile. "You'll be dancing again in no time."
 
 
 
Once time was up, Yoona was relieved - not because it was over, but because it gave her hope. She actually enjoyed it - the doctor was very nice, and seemed like he genuinely cared about her passion for dancing. 
 
 
They exited the building and Yoona stared at her surroundings - the racing cars, the thin trees along the sidewalk, the blue sky. She took everything in, inhaling and exhaling slowly as the wind brushed her hair. She never realized how much she loved life.
 
 
 
"Donghae, thank you. Thank you for being with me even though you could have bailed."
He didn't get a chance to reply because she embraced him. Hugging him tightly to let him understand that she is truly appreciative of his actions.
Her eyes were closed, and she was smiling blissfully. "Thank you for being there for me when I needed someone the most."