Stay

Like Air
"Fits perfectly!" Taemin admired the ring on her finger. "One day, I'll place one on your fourth finger," he laughed - patting her hair softly.
"Neh, you have to wear yours too okay?" She gazed up at him, eyes wide. "Don't forget!"
"Of course - just have to be careful around the fans."
She smiled, playing with his fingers as they leaned against the cement pole together - the music far away. "Let's be together for a long time."
 
 

They continued to enjoy their relationship which became increasingly intertwined. Always being able to express their inner thoughts to one other - they trusted each other. Dancing was the way they talked - their method of intimacy. Away from the prying eyes and relationship scandals - the subway station kept their secret.

 
Taemin was unbelievably sweet - always gentle and patient with her mood swings. She was difficult to handle; Yoona knew it herself. Not everyone could deal with an angry idol. When they fought - she would threaten to run into the street, screaming about how stupid she was for dating him and ruining both their careers. At those times, Taemin would just hug her and apologize, whispering "I'm sorry, Noona - I'm sorry."
 
He would crumple into her arms at times, murmuring - "Let's stay like this for a bit." Voice tired, cheeks stained with bitter, indignant tears - they could only lean on each other. Taemin was still so young to be in the entertainment world, the hateful comments always cut him straight to the heart - Yoona was older, able to understand the price of fame a bit more; but, Taemin was still naive at times. He couldn't always comprehend the spiteful remarks the internet threw at him.
 
"I'm only doing what the company says!" He screamed to her once when they were supposed to be watching the dances. She could only hug him to her chest, letting him cling onto her - his tears telling her that he was ready to give up.
"Don't give up - this is your dream you're living. You won't be happy any other way." And he would nod like a puppy, understanding and admiring at her wise words.
 
 
 
They would have done anything to stay like that - sweet and caring. But things started to get sour - difficult. Taemin became impossible to understand. He would get jealous over the smallest things - her dancing with others on stage, her being paired up with others on shows. It's not like she had any control over those things, he should know that as well as she did. 
She also didn't budge when she asked about his female costars. Scandal rumors of them with other people were slowly wearing away at them.They got tired of having to explain, dancing together became difficult. They became clumsy, hands slipping - legs tangling. They couldn't flow with the music anymore - not together at least. Oh how quickly things could go wrong.
 
Fights started fuming throughout their relationship - a bubbling tension that they didn't always address properly. Sometimes, they resolved their fights with soft tender kisses and warm pleading hugs - asking for forgiveness through these simple actions. They covered things up with softly fabricated promises - pretending that everything would be fine if they turned a blind eye. 
 
These quarrels didn't always end with empty words though. There would be yelling and crying, cursing and threats - even a few shoves, harsh slaps. As the mindless bickering continued, their relationship slowly became uncomfortable, no longer a safe haven, and they grew distant from one another.
 
They no longer longed to see each other every night. They no longer wanted to share dances. They no longer felt safe.
 
 
 
Yoona couldn't understand why she didn't break it off with Taemin; it was too obvious that this relationship was tiring them both out - they had other things to worry about. Maybe it was the way he twisted her gently on the dance floor, or how his boyish smile made her melt, or even how his smooth lips made her feel protected and guarded.  She never knew why, but she couldn't bear the thought of losing him. Even when things had gone so wrong, so awry. She needed him.
 
 
 
After an exhausting, long day filled with modeling for a new bed CF, singing at a university festival, and acting for an upcoming drama - Yoona raced for the underground entrance, make up barely removed - hair in a messy bun. There,Taemin waited for her silently - barely glancing up when she called to him.
"Taemin-ah let's go in! I'm so tired - I just want to dance" Yoona said cheerfully.
He didn't budge, staying there solid as a stone. His eyes had a icy glare directed at her.
"Yah - Are you upset?" Yoona asked, throwing a playful punch at him.
"Yoona. I don't know what to do with you anymore. I drop signals and signs for you to see that I'm not always your happy and your proud prince charming. I would ignore your messages hoping you would at least get a hint that I'm trying to avoid you. Basically, what I'm saying is your not able to understand me unless were dancing. I don't always want to dance to let you understand how I feel. Sometimes I want you to be able to look in my gaze and know right away. We just.. don't have anything in common unfortunately" he said with a heavy sigh, exasperated.
Yoona looked at him horrified. "Was she always like that? Did she really ignore all his indirect messages? Did she always think he would be happy all the time?"
 
"Taemin, I'm really sor-", she never had a chance to finish her sentence, to explain to him,
"Yoona, I think it's time we ended our relationship." he said calmly - not even batting an eyelash. "It's really not working out - can't you see?"
 
That one word crushed her - "ended". It was as if her little safe haven was crumbling around her. Her heart was breaking into a thousand pieces, the blood would seep through her shirt any minute now. It felt like a sharp shard was stabbing into her chest, and there was nothing she could do to stop it - she couldn't even pull it out. It was Taemin who was hurting her - but she didn't want to pull him out, she needed him. 
"D-don't say that...I'll try harder to understand. We can work this out - please don't leave me. You make me happy. And I make you happy." Yoona said softly trying to hold back her tears and save her relationship, feebly grasping for something to cling onto - anything to save. 
"You used to", he replied coldly.
 
Yoona could only stare at him blankly. How could those warm eyes, chill her to the bone? How could that inviting smile turn into annoyed expressions? How could Taemin, her Taemin, leave her so quickly? After all they had together - were those intimate dances, countless tears, mind numbing butterflies all for nothing?
There was nothing she could say. All her emotions remained trapped inside her heart.

She planted her eyes on the ground,trying to avoid his gaze before she broke down crying. 
"It's over Yoona." Taemin said, finalty in his sharp tone.

With those words, tears begin to slide down her face. Her eyes started to cloud up; her vision began to blur. To her dismay, her face was soon streaked with salty droplets, and she was hopelessly sobbing. 
She grabbed and hugged him, hoping he was only kidding, and he would embrace her lovingly - laughing that everything was a scary joke. Instead, he stood still and didn't reciprocate the hug. Taemin pulled away from her harshly, and started to walk away - not giving her another glance. 
 
Yoona boldly gripped his wrist, not allowing him to leave.
"You can't just walk away. All that we've done from our relationship to our memories..to our dancing." Yoona pleaded while weeping. He yanked his arm free and continued to the stair case. Once again Yoona stopped him from leaving. This time standing guard at the top of the stairs, so he wouldn't be able to escape.
 
"Move now."
She was frightened by the tone of his voice, but stood strong. 
"No. Not until we talk about our relationship."
"Move!" 
"No."

Before Yoona realized it, Taemin face was in a furious scowl. She felt his arms begin to move towards her slim figure. Before she could comprehend what he was doing, he had pushed her so roughly that she fell from the stairs - a total of twenty steps; she had counted once. The only thing that occurred in her mind was to squeeze her eyes shut - anticipating the impact, frozen in shock. Why? 
 
 
 

This was seriously so hard to write. I love TaemYoon but this was how I meant for it to be since the beginning. Don't worry future stories that include TaemYoon will have happy endings. (: Please keep on reading!