You Again

Like Air

The air was getting warmer, the snow was melting away - leaving slick puddles along the ground. Winter was leaving, and spring was approaching. Patches of grass started to sprout - birds started to sing. Yoona ran towards the subway station, sprinting into the fresh night air. Her legs still felt weird - almost like a new pair of shoes that had to be broken in. 

 

How long had it been since she was here last?

 

Yoona approached the familiar stair case. She had missed going here - scandal management was crazy back at the company. The famous Im Yoona suddenly breaking her leg due to unknown reasons. Of course the company had released a statement about how she fell during practice or something, and the public had gobbled it up. Though she was sure no one truly believed that.
She didn't exactly miss the subway or the people. She didn't miss sneaking out, she didn't miss the adrenaline rushes - no one of that. She missed being able to dance and truly expressing how she felt - without the prejudgments of others.
"You came early." Donghae said.
"I'm just that excited. I'm ready to perform again. I can't wait to have that spotlight land on me." Yoona said smiling as she rapidly descended the stairs. 
 
"Hey, you go on ahead I want to check this out," Donghae said as he headed off in another direction.
She smiled in reply and waved him off. 
 
The whole place was so familiar - the shabby cement, the drab colors. Wasn't this where she fell in love for the first time?She was slowly walking around, glancing at the walls and the various paintings when someone accidentally bumped into her.
"I'm sorry mam," he said quickly as he bowed - bright red beanie on his head.
She wouldn't forget that voice - not now, not ever. 
As he lifted up his head, Yoona recognized him immediately. His sharp facial features - the rounds eyes, his mellifluous voice. It was Taemin.
 
Her heart stopped. Too many thoughts were rushing through her head - holding hands, whispered promises, shared dances - them. She felt her eyes beginning to tear. 
"Yoona, we need to talk." 
"There's nothing we need to talk about," she spat back venomously, trying to walk away before she broke down. She really hated this man.
"I wanted to talk about our relationship. I miss you. Please forgive me." Taemin begged, stepping in front of her.
Yoona begun to ball her fists, anger rising up to . She wanted to strangle the kid - the audacity. 
"You seriously think I can forgive you? You think a simple 'sorry' - 'please forgive me' can take back what you did? Taemin, you almost cost me my legs, my job, even my freaking life! What about my dream? You almost cost me that too - you heartless bastard. I can't forgive you right now. I almost lost everything - because of you and your stupid rationale. Get away from me." She attempted to push her way past him. 
"But, Yoona I still want us to be together," he tried again, reaching for her hands.
She slapped his fingers away, glaring at him - the hopefuly eyes. "You really think you still have a chance don't you?" His hair had grown long and it was dyed a deep brown - rather than the natural black from before. Shinee was getting bigger, and Taemin was at the center of all that fame and glory. 
He flicked his hair to the side. "Of course - I'm picking you over everyone else."
"Everyone else?" Where was the Taemin from before? 
"I'm a hot singer now - plenty flock." He said smugly. "Come back to me Yoong - we belong together. We match each other."
She could only gape at him. "We - we match?" 
"Yeah - we're both good looking. Great dancers. Famous. Hot. Young. Filthy rich." He began listing their supposedly shared characterists. "Don't you see? If we go big with this relationship - we can both benefit. After the effects of the scandal wear off, we can bring in so much popularity - shippers giving us presents, duet stages - endorsements. We can have everything Yoong! We'll become the hottest idol couple of our generation."
 
Yoona began laughing hysterically, clutching onto her stomach and gasping as her face turned several shades redder. "You - you - you really think we can be something huh?"
Taemin nodded, confused by her laughing.
"Well - no. You're a heartless mockery of a man so please get out. I don't need you." At that moment, she saw Donghae coming towards her from the corner of her eye. "Besides - I have a boyfriend," she said hurriedly, grabbing onto Donghae and hugging him tightly.
Taemin was speechless - fighting to say something. Donghae on the other hand was utterly confused. 
Yoona continued, "Well nice chatting with you. Move on - and I never, ever want to see you again. Get the hell away from me."
 
She then proceeded to drag a bewildered Donghae away, through the crowd towards a dimmed corner. The pair plopped onto the ground as she bit her bottom lip, trying to control her tears.
Donghae didn't question her, just hummed to the music in the background while she hugged her knees. 
 
"Who was that?" He finally asked, causing her to look up, his voice was quiet - or was it hurt? 
"My ex."
Donghae nodded slowly in understanding. "It's okay."
"It's not - he's the one who almost caused me to lose my legs," she muttered bitterly. "But you know what?"
Donghae shook his head in response.
"He didn't even bother to come see me. Not even once when I was in the hospital. He couldn't have apologized to me then?" The tears burst forth, finding their way down her cheek. "He abandoned me to face this by myself - and now he comes back to what? Not even to really be back together! He wants to use my fame!" She cursed loudly under her breath, wiping away the tears with the back of her hand. She hated that man. 
 
 
 
As her puffy eyes were beginning to shut from tiredness, Donghae whispered, "Hey it's getting late, let's go." 
Before she could answer the light spotted her, almost blinding her.  She smiled tiredly as she got up, "We can leave after this. Promise."
 
 
 
She felt the music running through every fiber of her being. Her hair was probably a horrible mess from crying, her eyes bloodshot and puffy - maybe even her cheeks were bloated. But she didn't exactly care. Yoona started moving to the melody. She couldn't help but smile as she did small, swift twirls across the room. She could finally feel her legs again. For once in a very long time, Yoona could feel her legs start to move in their old way - rhythmically flowing on their own. She could dance without worrying that they would give way beneath her.  
 
 
 
As Donghae and Yoona collected their things to leave, she turned to face Donghae - staring at his furrowed brows. 
"What are you looking at? I know I'm cute but you don't need to stare me down," he teased softly, looking up to meet her gaze. 
"You're not cute. At all," she replied, chuckling - happy that he wasn't upset about the Taemin incident. 
Donghae moved closer to Yoona.
"Am I now?"
"No. Not really. "
He moved even closer until their noses were merely centimeters apart..
"Am I now?"
Yoona's face flushed a bright pink. "Why are you so-"
She was surprised as his soft lips met with hers. It was like a loud explosion - rattling her to the core. He tasted like watermelon, with a tint of peppermint. Did he eat watermelons earlier? 
 
Once they pulled apart to catch their breaths, she glared at him, face still red.
"Why won't you admit that I'm cute?" He continued to tease, poking fun at her flustered expression.
She laughed as she took his hand and intertwined their fingers.
"Why won't you just admit that you like holding my hand too?" He laughed, before ducking to avoid a punch to the face. 
"Race you to the entrance! Loser has to give the winner a piggyback ride!"  She yelled as she sped towards the staircase.