A Cheering Heart

Like Air

Snow was falling softly, melting and freezing to create a slick icy surface for the ground. The leaves were fading into yellows and browns, and the trees branches were decorated with snowflakes.

 

Yoona slipped through the night and quickly ran to the subway station. Her lungs were burning with the cold air. Her feet felt like they were going to collapse because of the numbness, but she reached the place at last. She checked if the coast was clear  and continued to proceed inside. Yoona walked quietly on the stairs above the station looking for the entrance. The entrance that allowed her to escape reality, even if it was just for awhile. It took Yoona a few seconds to locate it, a set of black staircases that led her to the underground. 

 
As she descended, she spotted the gray cement wall of the station. It was nicely decorated, plastered with crude paintings of dancing and dancers. Their bodies seem to move so passionately and freely. The drawings and paintings made her heart beat faster every time she stared at them. She slowly started to make her way through the area. The lights were dimmed expect for one in front of the large crowd, allowing people to see whoever was preforming. The music bouncing around her made her feel like floating. This place made her feel relaxed and equal. She didn't know how or why it did, but it just did. 
 
 
She slowly started replacing her worn out sneakers for soft, light ballet shoes. Once she swapped her shoes, she gazed at the ballerinas as they twirled with ease and laughter. Their eyes seemed to sparkle with life, cheeks blushing with adrenaline. Yoona glanced at the modern dancers, caps on - cool and relaxed gazes. They didn't seem the least bit unnerved by the boisterous audience.
 
 
Everyone was utterly into the performances, clapping and hooting for the complex choreography - the flashy outfits. No one cared about being pale, or having the smallest face or the longest legs - no one cared about appearances. No one noticed or commented on her slim figure, or chased her madly, screaming her name - judging her attitude. As long as you could dance, you were one of them. You were a dancer. 
 
 
 
Yoona watched the beam of light land on various dancers from the audience - all around the room but especially the front row. The rules were that if it landed on you, you stepped into the center and did your thing. No one argued for the spotlight, no one criticized others for being "center" - it was completely random; anyone could express themselves. 
She slowly started making her way to the back row, until she collided with someone head on - knocking the both of them to the ground. 
"Oh, I'm sorry!" Yoona said embarrassed, head bowed - avoiding eye contact. 
"Watch it okay?" The guy reprimanded before standing and walking away. 
A blur of brown hair, lean shoulders, strong hands made her think a bit about the identity of the stranger. Was it someone she knew?
 
 
Yoona eventually made it to the back. Even though she came here often, she never got picked, and she wanted it to stay like that. Yoona was admiring one of the ballerina's dramatic yet gentle dance when a bright light blinded her. 
"Get that light away! It's hurting my eyes!" She screeched, ducking her head.
 
 
Then it hit her.
 
 
She was chosen to go up and perform - in front of a giant crowd of experienced dancers. Ones who lived and breathed it - something she could never do.
 
 
Slowly making her way through the crowd, Yoona felt hundreds of eyes scrutinizing her every move - thinking what type of dance she would show. Her feet felt like stone, her hands felt like lead, and her head was pounding against her skull. 
 
 
 
"Yoona put your self together. You have worked in front of crowds before. Inhale - exhale," she mumbled repeated, trying to calm her nerves. The music started to flow through all her senses, a random song she didn't recall hearing before. But she held on, her mind beginning to relax, and she let her body work. Dance was encoded into her - years of training weren't for nothing. 
 
 
Her feet began to slowly dance across the hard ground - soft slippers sliding roughly. Her arms started to move with the set rhythm. 
Before she knew it, she started twirling across the middle of the circle and leaped into the air - back arched, foot pointed. This was what she lived for. 
 
 
As the song came to an end, she bowed and burst into the infamous smile that got her commercial deals and made fans swoon - the one that hid her blushing cheeks and heavy breathing. People across the room started clapping and cheering, but the loudest cheering came from her heart.
 
 
Her heart felt happy.
 
 
A more genuine smile graced her lips. She knew where she was going to be spending her time most of tonight - sleep could wait.