Chapter 8

How To Catch Sehun in 10 Days

 

Day Eight

 

She woke up, sweating, crying. She turned to her side and lifted the covers of the bed over her head. She wiped her eyes and bit her lip hard. She thought of the letter Yixing left behind and wept a little longer, unable to comprehend that he was gone. She didn't want to go back to school. Her overwhelming feelings of guilt and sorrow overcame her. But so did the anger that flared up like fire. The pure and utter disregard he had for her, for Wufan, for Minseok and Kyungsoo. It angered her and left her feeling confused, demented and unhappy. With all these feelings mixed like paint, she fell asleep.

 

***

 

Wufan, Kyungoo, Minseok, Tao and Seohyun all sat together, each and every one in complete shock. Wufan looked depressed; very much unlike himself.

"It must have been important..." Tao offered, in his typical broken Korean. Minseok raised his eyebrow and shook his head.

"Noo..." Minseok sarcastically muttered, punching him lightly. "Really?" He continued mocking Tao who burned red and said nothing more.

"There's no need to be a sarcastic idiot." Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. Minseok shrugged and crossed his arms across his chest, looking crestfallen yet grumpy, too. Kyungsoo lay his head against Minseok's shoulder and the two remained silent.

"He obviously had to go, otherwise he wouldn't have been so hasty." Seohyun suggested. Wufan put his hand over .

"He's an idiot. He's a hypocrite. Remember when he told you that you shouldn't keep secrets? Like this bet? He's a liar himself. I have no respect for him and I don't care anymore." Wufan decided. He stood up and brushed himself off. Seohyun pushed his hand off and stormed off with anger at his words. She didn't even bother to retaliate. She felt as though Wufan was being over dramatic.

It was lunch after all, and Seohyun made her way to Hyoyeon's table. But, unexpectedly, she was stopped as someone grabbed her arm and spun her around. She growled but realised it was Sehun. He had actually approached her. He wanted to be seen with her. They were in the centre of the hall and he had made a bold statement. Seohyun's heart practically stopped beating and she stared at him. All of her frustrations had somehow melted away.

"Seohyun, I asked Yoona and those girls to apologise to you." He simply stated with a mild shrug. He didn't wait for her reply. He just pulled her towards their table with a smile on his face. She didn't think much of it but she noticed he winked at his friends as he approached them. Yoona was stood there, teary-eyed, staring at Seohyun with resentment. Seohyun had personally noticed that the rest of the hall had become silent.

"I'm sorry for what I did." Yoona grumbled, staring down at the floor. Seohyun felt like she was in an alternate universe. Things like that shouldn’t have ever happened in her normal universe. She felt really surreal and lost. She didn’t even know how to reply to Yoona. She didn’t want to forgive her but the pressure of the ‘Princes’ made her feel small. She had to break the ice. Well, not ice. More like the metal that has consumed all of their brains.

“Thanks.” Seohyun muttered back before spinning around. Her face was scarlet and her heart was banging in her chest. The rush of adrenaline over-filled her making her want to run away. As she scanned the hall, she noticed Sooyoung, Sunny and Hyoyeon shaking their heads at her with mad faces. A lump filled . Yunho, Jaejoong; all of those guys were staring. Onew’s friends were staring. The cheerleaders. Drama-nerds. Every single pair of eyes… apart from Wufan’s. He was staring down at his food without much care for the rest of the world.

“Seohyun, you’re my girlfriend, aren’t you?” Sehun asked her suddenly, pulling her close, their lips centimetres apart. The hall went even more silent. For those brief seconds, Sehun stared down at her, wondering if he really wanted to embarrass her. He was about to be honest about the bet- and make a fool out of her in front of all the school. He was going to destroy her. But he didn’t know if he wanted to do it, go through with it, hurt her. He wanted to kiss her soft lips but… he was confused.

Seohyun stared back at him, startled. She thought of Wufan’s face as she stared back into Sehun’s eyes. She didn’t want to break hers and Sehun’s relationship. She didn’t want to win the bet just like that. She couldn’t face the idea of kissing him in front of everyone. She wanted Yixing to be present. She wanted to build their relationship properly. After all, they had only been intimate for a week and a day.

“Seohyun,” Luhan suddenly dragged her away harshly and raced out of the hall with her. Everyone let out gasps and mouthed words of shock and scandal. Sehun was completely taken aback as she had just disappeared right in front of him. Outside, Luhan was raging at Seohyun. “Don’t be stupid.” He breathed at her, his hands clenching into fists. Seohyun blinked at him, completely lost.

“W-what?” She looked at him with fear.

“I know about your bet.” Luhan finally revealed with eyes of pure hate. He ran his hands through his hair and waited for her reply.

“What…” she couldn’t comprehend his words. She began to feel faint. More than surreal. Her heart raced faster and faster yet, her eyes dilated, focused, staring at him, confused; scared. He looked stern, an evil man. He continued looming into her, his eyes now darts. Her eyes now a dart board. A war was going on through the eyes. Eyes alone.

“You heard me. It’s funny what your ‘friends’ can do.” Luhan snarled at her. She felt as small as a mouse, a mouse in a trap. “Yixing was very helpful to me, you know.” His words cut .

Seohyun’s brain practically exploded. Yixing had left Wufan and disappeared off the face of the Earth yet managed to have time to explain HER business to Sehun's best friend?! Yixing had time to write a damned letter- all this, "I love you" crap, only to for everyone else to get stabbed in the back by his unexpected cunning ways? He broke Wufan's heart. Wufan saw him not like a friend but as a brother. She wanted to scream, find Yixing and destroy him.

Luhan continued without any care for her horrified face. “I was wondering why a freak like you was suddenly so interested in my best friend.” He tilted his head, eyeing her up and down, making her more and more insecure. He his lips. "I’ll tell you something.” He hadn’t even blinked yet. “Sehun has no idea about this, but I do. And damn right, I’ll make sure you won’t hurt his feelings. He likes you, you know.” Seohyun’s eyes widened, feeling worse and worse. “I’m shocked, too.” He added venomously.

“You don’t understand. I like him, too.” She squeaked back at him without much sound. He smirked at her, shaking his head with an intimidating expression. He looked like the devil himself. His cute face was a cruel façade. She wanted to escape reality. Hide in her dreams. Never come out till she was ready to face the world head on. She was equally trying to deny what he had told her. Yixing wouldn’t do that?

“Oh really? Why the bet, then?” He interrogated harshly. His eyes were seeping into her, locking themselves into the deepest regions of her mind. He wasn’t normal.

“I don’t want to tell you.” Seohyun found her voice. She glared at him. Her mind had a repellent in there- built in, ready to face criticism. She had, after all, been brought up in a household where criticism was necessary in order to become perfect, in order to fulfil her real role. Like a time bomb, her brain fizzed as it began ticking- extracting every idea she could think of till one seemed like the most brutal reply. She was fighting back. “Do explain to me how Sehun has a sudden interest in me then.” She raised her eyebrow and pushed him back.

Luhan studied her for a moment, wondering if she knew about the bet. He began sweating. His palms began turning slippery. His fists broke apart and his tension was watered down. He was contemplating whether she knew. Whether she was aware of the bet. But he shook his head mentally. How could she know? Only he, Sehun and their friends knew. There was no way that anyone could find out. It was between them and only them. If she knew, then why would she continue playing Sehun? He gulped on accident and Seohyun gasped at him.

“You don’t have an answer?” She ridiculed him, penetrating into his mind, breaking it apart with her sarcastic words. Luhan scoffed at her and stepped back. She waited for a brief second, hoping he could open his mouth. He didn’t. It remained closed. He remained silent. “Got nothing?” She continued, piercing her words into him hard. Luhan looked away from her, feeling tiny. “Then you can’t say a word against me. You said Sehun doesn’t know, right?” She marched next to Luhan and turned his head towards her. His eyes were still venomous but more like a tamed snake. “You don’t tell him, you understand?” She grabbed his collar and pressed her nose against his with pure anger. “He doesn’t find out, you get me?” She repeated darkly before releasing him. With her heart still racing, she walked straight back into the hall.

Luhan scoffed and kicked the wall ravenously. He then punched it, his veins popping in his neck. He hadn’t lied to her about Sehun’s feelings. He knew that deep down, Sehun liked her. Yet he lied about the bet. He knew about both of their bets. He felt helpless. Sehun had fallen for her, unexpectedly, and Seohyun seemed to have him wrapped around her little finger. He bit his fist and yelled out before Sehun walked up to him.

“What the Hell, Luhan?” Sehun marched right up to him and hammered him against the wall. Luhan’s breathing reached a new high. His breaths were mad and shallow. He couldn’t even say a word. “I was about to friggin’ win the damn bet, you know?” Sehun continued with his dark, emotionless voice. Luhan glared at his best friend and erupted like a volcano. His fist landed right in Sehun’s face. Sehun fell back onto the floor.

“Don’t lie to yourself, Sehun. You like her, don’t you?” Luhan hissed at him. Sehun stared back at his friend with horror. He felt exposed.

“No!” He lied angrily. Luhan scoffed and ran to his friend. He picked him up and slammed him against the opposite wall.

“That’s bull.” Luhan breathed into Sehun’s ear. “I know you, Sehun. Don’t kid with me. Don’t mess her around. Be honest with her otherwise you’ll regret it.” Luhan declared boldly. He stepped back and stared at his hopeless friend who looked as though someone had slapped him hard across the face.

“What do you mean, I’ll regret it?” Sehun shook his head at Luhan, wiping away his saliva as he had spat out the words.

“Don’t play around with her.” Luhan warned, leaving Sehun completely clueless as to why. He walked out of the corridor into the school grounds, his mind racing with thoughts. He was full of adrenaline. He was mad at everything. Sehun was going to feel stupid. Seohyun was going to feel stupid. Everyone who knew was going to feel bad about destroying the two of them. Sehun would be distraught as equally as Seohyun. He felt so stupid, as the bet Sehun was trying to finish, was initially his- Luhan’s- idea. He didn’t foresee that it would escalate so much. He didn’t think about the consequences. He didn’t really think much of it. He was the only person in the whole school, the whole world, the whole universe who knew about both of the bets. He was helpless.

Yixing had personally gone to see Luhan the night before. He had knocked on the door. Luhan’s parents had answered. He had wanted to see Luhan. He had been directed to Luhan’s room.

“I’m leaving.” Yixing sighed sadly. Luhan raised his eyebrows at him.

“Why would I care?” Luhan scoffed. Yixing rolled his eyes.

“I wanted to tell you something as you’re Sehun’s friend.” Yixing sat on his chair quietly. His voice was soft and quiet. Luhan had waited for him to continue. “Seohyun is in the middle of a bet with Wufan. She’s trying to get Sehun to kiss her in 3 days’ time.” Yixing admitted. Luhan stood up and stared at him, dumbfounded. “Then the bet’s off and she wins. She’s playing with Sehun, you know.”

“It doesn’t matter. Sehun doesn’t like her…” Luhan said uncertainly.

“He does, I’m sure. Why else would he save her at the party?” Yixing questioned brightly. Luhan blinked, confused. Yixing chuckled. “She was being attacked by some boys, whilst drunk. I went to save her but Sehun got there first. Beat them up. Took her away to safety. The face he pulled cannot be faked,” Yixing paused. “He likes her.” He stood by his words. Luhan took a moment to take everything in properly. He looked at Yixing, feeling insecure. He, too, had had a hunch that Sehun truly liked her.

 “So why are you telling me?” Luhan tilted his head at Yixing.

“I don’t know.” Yixing stood up and reached the door. He twisted the handle. “But I had to tell someone who Sehun trusts.” Yixing began walking out the room. “Seohyun’s not a normal girl, you know.” Yixing left the room. Luhan took another moment to take his words in before going after Yixing. He raced outside, down the steps and watched Yixing enter a vehicle that disappeared into the night. What had Yixing been on about? Not a normal girl?

Luhan sat down on a bench and stared at his shoes in dismay. She admitted to liking him. He seemed to like her, too. Yet both were playing with each other. Both had their bets on. Both were being fake- or were they? He wanted to know whether they were being honest or were rotten liars. He didn’t mind if Sehun was playing her- after all, that’d suit Luhan better- not having the guilt of ruining their relationship. But if he genuinely liked her and she was playing him… and he knew… and didn’t tell him… then he’d feel terrible. He hated the position of knowing both bets. From the bottom of his heart he hated Zhang Yixing.

 

***

 

Wonbin woke up late in the day, awoken by the maids rushing through his belongings. His wife was not there as per usual. His bed was so empty. Their relationship had turned stale like old, mouldy bread. With a groan he sat up and watched the maids anxiously clean his room as quietly as possible. He signalled them to leave rudely but then called one over.

“Where’s Nayoung?” He asked coldly, his voice cracking. The maid looked down.

“She is in the garden, tending to the bushes.” The maid replied shakily, terrified of his rage. He was unpredictable and lately his moods have been getting darker and darker.

“Bring her here. At once.” He commanded, sitting up on the bed.

“I’m sorry master, she asked not to be disturbed.” She shakily said stepping back. Wonbin growled angrily and stood up. He pushed her to the floor.

“I’m the master, you listen to me, not her. Go and get her right now or I’ll fire you.” He warned harshly before stepping over her to get to his bathroom. The woman stood up and began hyperventilating as she rushed to the stairs, out to the garden at top speed. She dashed into the garden, fearing Nayoung’s wrath. The couple were both equally aggressive and terrifying. They were a perfect match for each other. Which was every maid’s nightmare.

Nayoung was sitting on one of their ground’s benches, listening to music on her iPod. A book was in her hands. She was completely absorbed. The maid approaching her cautiously, hoping she was in a good mood. She reached in front of her and bowed. Nayoung didn’t look back at her. She just nodded and expected the maid to walk off. The maid didn’t budge. After one minute, she took her headphones out.

“Yes?” Nayoung asked, still looking down at her book. The maid gulped.

“Master Wonbin would like you in your bedroom.” The maid said softly. Nayoung slammed her book shut and stood up- in a very similar way to Wonbin.

“What?!” Nayoung spluttered, looking aghast. The maid jumped.

“Master Wonbin wants you in the bedroom.” The maid repeated slowly, as though they were her last words.

Nayoung sighed and patted the maid. She was obviously terrified. What really annoyed Nayoung was that the maid was obviously far older than Wonbin what with her grey hairs sticking out from her black hairs. She wanted to slap Wonbin. She told the maids to stop calling him Master if they were older. They were the rules she set. Obviously Wonbin had yelled at them. She sighed again. She didn’t even want to see her husband. He was being a jerk and she wanted to stay well away from him. A third sigh came from . If she sent the maid back, the maid would forever be psychologically damaged by Wonbin’s evil words. A fourth sigh came out.

“Very well.” She began walking towards the house but paused. “Ajhumma, take the day off. Go spend this beautiful day with your family.” She thought for a moment. “Actually take two weeks of holidays. I’ll see to it that you’re still paid. You deserve a holiday.” Nayoung eyesmiled gently before walking off to the house. The maid had bowed gratefully with tears in her eyes.

Nayoung knew the maids were scared of her since they were always present when she had a heated argument with her beloved husband. She was so aggressive in those moments- throwing things at him, slapping him, kicking him in the s. Wonbin really annoyed her at times despite her undying love for him.

As she reached their bedroom, she knocked and entered slowly. Wonbin stood there, by his golden-sheeted bed topless. His abs were somehow glistening under the poorly lit room. The room was dark. Very dark. The curtains were half drawn forcing the sun’s rays out. Their belongings seemed to be covered in shadows like it was a gothic bedroom- a horror set. She marched right up to the curtains behind Wonbin and forced them open.

“Don’t touch the curtains.” Wonbin coldly muttered. Nayoung rolled her eyes and continued to all the windows around their grand bedroom. It was huge so it took her a good minute to let in some light. The piano stacked in a corner was finally visible after being covered by the thick darkness. The large family picture now stood against the wall proudly. Nayoung grinned as she looked at her husband’s gloomy expression.

“Why sho grumpy Yeobo?” She , pouting cutely as she headed towards him. With a smirk she laced her fingers down his abs. His expression didn’t change.

“How dare you me like a dog!” Wonbin emotionlessly glared at her. Nayoung twitched, forcing her laughter inwards.

“Well maybe if you stop acting like one, I won’t!” Nayoung chuckled, pushing him backwards. With a sharp movement, Wonbin pushed Nayoung far back and yelled at her.

“DON’T humour me.” He growled, stepping menacingly towards her. Nayoung kept a straight face this time. “You’re my wife, so, Nayoung, answer me. Why do you leave me in the mornings?” He asked her, almost spitting at her.

“Yeobo…” She began timidly, pointing towards the clock. “It’s half one.” She sweatdropped. Wonbin then yelled in anger as he grabbed Nayoung and threw her towards their bed.

“Time doesn’t matter! Why do you never wake up with me? Do we have a relationship anymore?” He questioned her. Nayoung sighed again and wiped her summer dress down as she stood up again.

“Yeobo. When you stop acting like a child, let me know.” She began to walk out but Wonbin grabbed her again.

“Don’t you dare try to get out of this!” He warned her. His jaw was clenched and his fist was ready to attack her. Nayoung now accepted the fact that he was on the edge- ready to hit her. He had never done that, but she didn’t put it past him. Over the last 10 years she watched as her husband turned from loving, kind and generous to a monster that was careless and cruel. Tears filled her eyes and she tried to get back. He pulled her closer and held her neck tightly. Nayoung completely feared for her life. She regretted winding him up.

Luckily for her, Harumi ran in as fast as she could with Jongdae close behind her. Their bedroom was right next door so they had heard their argument. As it had become silent, they were both afraid for Nayoung. Harumi, herself, was 6 months pregnant so knowing that Wonbin wouldn’t hurt her, she pried Nayoung from his grip and took her out the room, leaving Wonbin and Jongdae together.

“Hyung, stop this nonsense.” Jongdae held his brother’s shoulder and rubbed it. “We’re all suffering so stop hurting all of us.” He continued. Wonbin pushed Jongdae away.

“I’VE BEEN HURTING FOR 10 YEARS! WAITING! CONFUSED! WHO ARE YOU TO TELL ME TO STOP? HOW DARE YOU TELL ME TO STOP? WHAT DO WE KNOW ABOUT ANYTHING? WE KNOW NOTHING! FOR 10 YEARS WE’VE KNOWN NOTHING. OUR PARENTS HAVEN’T TOLD US ANYTHING!” Wonbin exploded, hitting Jongdae in the stomach, in the face, kicking him, relishing his pent up frustrations.

“Hyung… ” Jongdae breathlessly called out. “I know. I know everything.” He landed on the floor and took deep breaths. Behind him, someone stepped into the room. Wonbin stared at the stranger with confusion. Jongdae spun and looked at the boy.

“WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?” Wonbin roared at the boy who stood there as bold as brass.

“Zhang Yixing.” He answered with a smirk on his face.

 

***

 

At the end of the day, Seohyun reflected back on her thoughts. She didn’t see Sehun again, or Luhan for that matter. She didn’t speak to her friends. She didn’t speak to another soul. She had gone back into the canteen and grabbed her things before walking out. Everyone had watched her again in silence. They had been silent as she walked in because as she arrived, Sehun left the hall. The two didn’t even make eye-contact.

She had told Luhan that she liked him. She had admitted it to someone- and Sehun’s best friend at that. She gulped and felt her emotions rush. She liked him. She needed his presence. She didn’t know why but he made her feel complete- somehow. Tears gushed out from her eyes and she hurriedly wiped them away. She just felt lost in herself. After all the events so far, too much had happened. Going through her mind, she knew nothing made sense.

As she continued walking, she didn’t realise that she had walked too far from her normal route and had strayed off. She was near Sehun’s apartment. With a sigh she began walking back but then saw Luhan and Sehun both approach. They stopped and were tensely arguing between themselves. As quickly as possible, hidden by trees, she went near them to hear. She was praying, hoping, wishing that he didn’t tell Sehun about the bet.

“YOU’RE REALLY STUPID SEHUN!” Luhan screamed at his friend. She watched Sehun scoff and shake his head.

“WHY? WHY AM I STUPID?” Sehun roared back. Luhan bit his lip and ruffled his friend’s hair hard, knuckling down on his head. Sehun kicked him away and hit him ever harder.

“BECAUSE YOU’RE AN IDIOT!” Luhan retaliated pointlessly.

“BECAUSE I LIKE HER? BECAUSE I LIKE SEOHYUN, HUH? SO WHAT? SO WHAT IF I LIKE HER?” Sehun bellowed back. Luhan shook his head and chuckled.

“You’re going to regret this, Sehun. You’re going to wish it never happened.” Luhan warned again, making Sehun angrier.

“I DON’T CARE IF I WILL! I LIKE HER, AND THAT’S THAT. SO—” He suddenly stopped. His face went completely white as his eyes met hers. Seohyun felt extremely mortified and faint as she looked back at him. With a blink, she fell to the floor, exhausted. Luhan just scoffed and walked off without any care. He hated himself more than anything. He was extremely angry about the whole ordeal. That they liked each other.

Sehun panicked and rushed over to her. He bent down and held her head in his arms. She looked up and him and pulled herself up.

“Yah… I’m not dying.” She joked. Sehun sweatdropped awkwardly and rubbed his head.

“Oh. So… I get it. You heard that…” He began, looking away from her. Seohyun took his hand and nodded. She stood closer to him, wondering why or how she even found the strength to do so. Once again her heart was pumping extremely fast.

The two were silent, their thoughts racing yet empty. They didn’t have any words to say. They both disregarded their bets. For that moment in time, they were happy.

 

***

 

Dear Diary-san-sama-it-hello

The bet . I hate it. But I love it. Because now me and Sehun really like each other now, I think. I feel lucky. I feel so happy. But sad. Yixing's gone. Wufan's not talking to me. It's like, some good things happen but then... then it never adds up. It's never balanced. I can't please everyone. AND ... Luhan knows. He friggin' knows. Why? WHY WOULD YIXING TELL HIM? I can't even tell Wufan... I can't tell anyone. It's just me and Luhan. I... I just... I just want to scream out. I want to hit Yixing and ask him why... I don't know where he is or why he ran away. I don't know why he would tell Luhan. I don't understand. If Sehun finds out... He'll hate me. It'll all be over. ...I don't know what to do anymore.

xoxo

Seohyun.


I, myself, after reading this thoroughly... am just like... O-o there's so much going on!! Hehehehe.... I WANNA FINISH EDITING AND WRITE LIKE MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT MWHAAHHA...