[NINETEEN] Flashback

Just Married

Keybongbong oppa, I’m going to the mall with Sulli. Then I’ll be hanging out with Minho oppa this afternoon. Sorry if I didn’t wake you up. I prepared breakfast for you though. See you later—Amber

Key woke up with a sticky note stuck on AmBear’s forehead. It was already 10:30 AM. He wasn’t really able to seep the night before. Many things happened and they all gave him a headache. He kept sighing thinking about Amber having another date with Minho and there were his thoughts about Nicole—should he or should he not break up with her? Even if he wanted to, he was too afraid.

He just finished eating lunch when someone knocked on the door.

“Annyeong, oppa!” Key opened the door and saw Sulli waving at him.

“What the…? What are you doing here? If you’re looking for Amber, she’s not here. And I thought you were together earlier?”
“Thank you for your warm welcome.” Sulli ignored what Key said and just entered their apartment.

“Let me guess, Krys and Taem are on a date and Amber is with Minho so you want to annoy me right now.” Key glared at Sulli who was already sitting comfortably on the couch.
“What about you? Aren’t you going on a date with Nicole eonni?” Sulli glared back at Key.

“Have you eaten lunch?”
“Yup, but I’m still hungry.” Sulli smiled childishly.
“Let’s eat ice cream outside.”

Key grabbed his backpack as Sulli followed him out.

Key and Sulli spent the whole afternoon together. Key knew that Sulli needed his company. Sulli’s best friend was dating her “first love”. Key felt like Sulli was hurting so much inside so he treated her many things but most likely food coz he believed that food would make anyone feel better.

Kibum, I’ll be paying a visit in your apartment in an hour—Amber’s mom

“Sul, Amber’s mom is coming. Can you fix the apartment for me? It’s not that messy. I just need to buy a little groceries.” Key asked Sulli nicely.
“Sure, but I’ll stay until dinner. See you later, oppa!” Sulli skipped her way back to the apartment.

Key took a whole hour to do the groceries. He was really excited to go home and cook for Amber’s mom and maybe for Amber too if she’s already there and maybe for Sulli as well, just to thank her for cleaning their apartment. But when he was about to enter their apartment building, he saw Amber and Minho talking happily across the street. Then he saw Minho hugging Amber tightly. He didn’t know what that was about. Instead of dropping the plastic bags, he just tightened his gripped and went inside the building.

He slammed the door harshly as he went inside their place.

“Kibum?” Mrs. Liu looked at Key worriedly.
“Oppa, are you okay?” Sulli stood next to Mrs. Liu.
“I’m sorry if I startled you. I was just…” Key couldn’t finish his sentence and just sighed.

They all sat down on the couch and waited for Key to talk.

“Eomonim… I’m in love with Amber. I’ve been in love wither for almost 3 months now but right now I’m deeply madly in love with her that I just had to tell you.”

Mrs. Liu and Sulli smiled at each other.

“I think it’s time,”

“Kibum, do you want to know why we decided to marry you two off?” Mrs. Liu asked.
“I guess.”

“Do you remember when you were just freshman in high school? Then Amber had a flu. You called to say something to Amber but I told you that she was sick. Then I found out you were getting ready for a date with Nicole to celebrate your 100th day together but what did you do as soon as you heard about Amber’s condition?”
“I ditched Nicole and rushed to your house. Then I took care of Amber the whole day. The next day, Nicole was so mad at me that she ignored my calls, my messages, she basically ignored me. We never had the chance to celebrate.”
“You know what’s funny, Jinri?” Mrs. Liu turned to ask Sulli.
“That it was only a tiny flu and he got all hyped up about it.” Sulli giggled.

“Well, it could have gotten worse.” Key defended.
“But Amber’s mom was there.”
“Yes, but—” Key couldn’t defend himself anymore.

“Oh, and when you two were out late one night, then you bumped with the school bullies. They were pushing Amber and kept telling her to fight since she’s a ‘guy’. You were by her side glaring at those mean guys as if you were collecting all your strength together and after a second, you had punched those guys before Amber could use her taekwondo skills on them. Then you held Amber’s hand and shouted ‘She’s a girl! Respect her! Apologize or else!’ looking all tough that made them actually apologize and run off.”

“That’s sweet~”

“That’s it, eomonim?” Key was expecting a bigger reason.
“I’m not done yet, Kibum.”
“Shut up, Kibum.” Sulli stuck her tongue out.
“You shut up, Jinri!”

“Uhm… the accident… last year. What or who did you see when you woke up in the hospital?” Mrs. Liu asked with a smile.

“Amber… she was shouting ‘Oppa’s awake!’ and she hugged me so tight. Then she started to cry.” Key answered.
“What about before you got hit by the truck?”
“I was chasing Nicole then…”

“So you don’t know what was happening when you lose your conscious?”
“Eomonim, I was unconscious.” Key giggled.
“Well, then…”

**flashback**
“Keybongbong oppa, please, please, oppa.” Amber wouldn’t stop begging Key as they walked along the street of Apgujeong.
“Didn’t we just go there yesterday?” Key was busy looking for a good boutique
“I know, we did but I want to go back. Let’s go back, please.” Amber pleaded like a little dino that she was.
“Alright, alright. Oh, wait, Nicole’s here. I’ll talk to her in a minute then we can go.” Key ran forward and caught up with Nicole.

“Hey, Nicole. It’s been a day already, ready to be my girlfriend again?” Key asked jokingly.
“Is this what you think of our relationship? A joke? I’m sorry, Key but this time we’re really through.” Nicole started to walk away and Key followed her.
“Nicole, please, don’t be like this.”
“I don’t want to see you anymore, Key.”
“Nicole, I love you—”
“If you love me then let me go.”

Nicole had only took a couple of steps when she saw a huge truck coming. Key ran toward her and pushed her away from the road and in an instant, he got hit by the truck.

“Oppa!” Amber quickly ran to Key. His head was bleeding that made her even more worried.
“Call 119! Call 119!” she shouted.
“Oppa, wake up!” she looked around trying to find Nicole but it seemed like she had run off.

As soon as Key was brought to the hospital, Amber waited for Key’s parents to come. She was shaking from head to toe. She didn’t know what to do.

“Amber? Where’s Kibum? Huh?” Mrs. Kim came with her husband and Amber’s parents.
“He’s inside; he’s in the middle of his operation. The doctor said he lost a lot of blood… Eomonim, I don’t know what to do,” Amber then started to cry.
“Oh, Amber, I’m supposed to be the one crying. Don’t worry. Kibum will be alright.” Mrs. Kim just patted Amber’s back.

After an hour, the doctor came out from the operating room. He said that the operation was successful but Key was still unconscious and he wasn’t sure when he’ll wake up.

Key was brought to his private room and Amber stayed with him until the evening.

“Amber, you should go home with your parents. I’ll watch out for Kibum.”
“No, eomonim, I wan’t to stay here, maybe he’d wake up later. I want to be here next to him when he wakes up.”
“Amber~” Mrs. Liu was also against Amber’s idea.
“Please, I want to take care of oppa.”
“Okay, we’ll be back tomorrow.”

Amber stayed awake all night hoping that Key would wake up anytime soon but the sun had already risen and he was still unconscious. Amber’s mom brought her clothes and food. She only changed her clothes and ignored the food. She just kept her eyes on Key. Maybe, she was starving but she wasn’t sure since all her thoughts were focused on Key. The next day was no different. Key had not gained consciousness. Then another sleepless night passed and Key was still lying on that tiny bed still not moving.

“Oppa, come on. You have to wake up.” Amber kept squeezing Key’s hand.
“You have to take me to the amusement park, remember?” she didn’t stop caressing his hand.

“Em… Embeo~” she heard him say.
“Oppa?”
“Amber,” he said again.
“Oppa!”

Amber hugged Key tightly forgetting what situation he was in.

“Oppa’s awake! Oppa’s awake!” she shouted.
“Amber… it hurts.” Key uttered.
“Oppa’s awake~” she said once again loosening her embrace. She was crying again, but this time, it’s because she was happy.
“Oppa’s awake~” she kept saying as she continued to cry.

“Yah, stop crying. I’m alright.” Key was patting her head and held her waist with his other hand. He tried to hug her back.

Their parents entered the room and saw their sweet moment. They all knew how the two felt for each other but it wasn’t the right time to plan yet.

“Embeo, I told you, stop crying.” Key wiped off Amber’s tears.
“I thought you’d never wake up. Do you know how worried I was for the past few days?” Amber was shouting at him.
“Aren’t I awake already?”
“You…” Amber lightly hit the right corner of his eyebrow—the area that hurt the most.
“Ouch! Come here you little lama!” Key the messed her hair.

Amber was able to relax that day. She still didn’t eat since she thought that watching Key eat makes her full. While Key was busy gaining weight, Amber was busy feeding him.

“Hey, Amber, good news. The doctor said that I can leave tomorrow!” Key was already jumping and cheering with Amber.
“Well, then, you should rest if you want to go home early tomorrow.” Mrs. Kim entered his room.
“But mom, it’s only 6 PM. And I’m not a child anymore.”
“No, ‘buts’.”
“Goodnight, oppa.”

Amber didn’t leave until Key fell asleep. She wanted to make sure that Key wouldn’t pretend to be asleep like the last time. When she was about to open the door, Key started to say something in his sleep.

“Nicole, Nicole, please, don’t leave me!”

Amber was there when the accident happened. She heard what Nicole said. She saw what Key did for Nicole. Was her best friend stupid to still be thinking of the girl that caused the accident? She even ran away when the accident happened. Nicole didn’t even pay a visit in the hospital even if she knew that it was her fault.

But Amber couldn’t smack her friend. She wanted him to be happy.

She came out of the room with everyone looking at her.

“Ready to go home, Amber?”
“Mom, I’ll meet you at home. I have to do something first.” Then she ran off.

==

She stopped in front of the door gasping for air. She breathed in deeply before ringing the doorbell.

“Amber?” Nicole looked at her curiously.
“Oppa’s going home tomorrow. Make up with him. Be his girlfriend again.” Amber simply said her reasons.
“I…”
“He needs you. Do it for him.”

==

The next day, Nicole was standing in front of Key’s apartment building. Key saw her so he immediately ran toward her and hugged her as if nothing happened. Amber didn’t know whether she should be happy or not coz she wasn’t sure if she did the right thing.

end of flashback

“Amber went to see Nicole just to get back together with me?” Key widened his eyes.
“Everyone knows, oppa.”
“Everyone?” Key glanced at Sulli.
“Yeah, everyone, even Minho oppa. Amber eonni told everyone except you of course. She wasn’t bragging about it though, she actually regrets it.” Sulli answered.


“That’s the reason why we decided to marry you two off. We knew that Amber only did that because she cares for you a lot and that she loves you. Ever since you were young, we knew you two were in love but what did you know about love, right? Maybe, both of you thought that what you’re feeling for each other wasn’t love but we all saw it. Looking at your eyes especially when you’re together.” Mrs. Liu explained.

“We didn’t want you two to find someone that you ‘think’ you love so we just had to plan the whole fixed marriage thing.” Mrs. Liu added.

“And we also knew that you were planning to get divorce after few months. And like what we expected, you’re not gonna continue that plan since you two finally realized that you love each other.” Mrs. Liu had so much to say.

“Eomonim, how did you know all of this? The whole accident?” Key didn’t actually want to remember the accident.
“Amber told me. I’m her mom, she tells me everything. She even told me how she feels for you just recently.”
“She did?” Key heaved a sigh.

“But she’s with Minho right now. What if she enters that door saying she’s not in love with me anymore? What if she suddenly says she loves Minho now and not me?” Key was so frustrated.
“Oppa, don’t be ridiculous. Amber eonni loves you more than any guy in the world, other than her dad of course.” Sulli stated.
“It was only infatuation—what she felt for Minho but for you… it’s love, Key.” Mrs. Liu emphasized the word “love”.

“Seven year, Kibum. She has always loved you. And I know you do, too.”

Key didn’t say anything and just remained quiet. He wanted to ask something but was too afraid.

“Just say what you want to say, Kibum.”
“Eomonim… I want to break up with Nicole but… I’m afraid that I’d hurt her.” Key bit his lower lip.

“Oh, Kibum~” Mrs. Liu patted his shoulder.

“There’s always that one person who has to hurt for the happiness of others. Jinri here, I heard what she did. Didn’t she sacrifice her own happiness?”
“It’ll only hurt at first… but when you see the people you love happy, it’ll instantly make you happy. Nicole eonni is nice. She’ll understand.”

==

Amber’s eyes widened from Minho’s sudden action.

“O-oppa, what are you doing?”
“Farewell hug.”
“Huh?”

Minho then pulled away from the hug and smiled at Amber.

“Why don’t’ we take a walk first?”

They took a walk at the nearby park quietly for over half an hour. They didn’t even notice that there walking for that long until Amber looked at her watch.

“So, farewell hug? What was that about?” Amber really wanted to know.
“Let’s just say that I finally accept the fact the I lose.” Minho smirked.
“I don’t get it.”
“Amber,” Minho stopped from walking and held Amber by her shoulder.
“He loves you if you don’t know yet. And my love for you is nothing compare to his.”

“Thank you, oppa.”

Amber went home smiling. She didn’t know why but she felt like smiling.

“Oppa, the scar isn’t visible.” Sulli was looking closely at Key’s right eyebrow.
“I hide it well.
“Can I touch it?”
“No!”

Amber entered their apartment and saw her mom laughing at Key and Sulli.

“Amber, come here.” Mrs. Liu called.
“Hey, baby, we’ve been waiting for you.” Key said in English.
“Yes, baby!” Sulli said in Engrish as well.

“What are you doing here, Sul?”
“She’s here to make dinner for us!” Key exclaimed.
“I didn’t say that!”

“I’ll cook for you so you two would stop bickering at each other.” Mrs. Liu volunteered.

After Mrs. Liu and Sullu left, Key and Amber cleaned up the place. The moment that Amber was about to enter their room, Key stopped her by cupping her cheeks. Amber’s cheeks easily turned red.

“Thank you, Amber.” Key stated before kissing Amber’s forehead.