Chapter 45

Reaching You

"Micha are you ok?" Hyesung asked her, his thumb rubbing the back of her knuckles. Micha nodded, ready to ask questions when the doctor came into the room. "Well, hello there." He said, giving Micha a kind smile as his nurse smoothly moved around the group and focused on getting readings from the charts. "You are a surprising one. I almost thought you were out of reach for us." He said, Micha noticed out of the corner of her eyes that Mink stiffened at this news. "But you came through. You are really something." Micha nodded at his words. "I would like to share some news with you in private. If that is alright." He asked her, glancing at the crowd surrounding them. Mink was the first to speak up for her. "No problem, we will get some lunch and come back." He said squeezing Hyomin and Sunny ' s hands as queues. "I need to get to the office anyway. Let the media know you are well and ease the public's mind." Andy said tapping her unwrapped leg as he left. Shinwha processed after him. Leaving Micha alone with the doctor and nurse. "You seem to be carrying a big secret that I don't even believe you know of." The doctor said. Micha gave him a look of confusion wondering what he meant by a 'secret'.

 

"I don't understand what do you mean?" Micha said after a beat. The doctor stared at her a bit, causing her to squirm a bit from how it felt he see right through her. "You do not know do you?" Micha stayed silent to see where he was going. "Over the past few weeks, have felt light headed, lost an extreme amount of weight, maybe even noticed unexplained  bruises?" He asked her waiting for her catch on to his path.  "Felt too weak to even move at times?" Micha clenched her jaw. Not getting what he is getting at. "Those are normal idol things sir. I have a busy schedule and all the things you just mentioned they are normal to my world."  Micha said, not seeing how he didn't know that. Not see the hundreds of articles of how this was her life. 'But why did he need to pull me aside.' She wondered then stopped herself. 'NO, Your life is finally going back on a path of something more. A bump just happened but you will be ok.' She told herself. Taking in a deep breath she stared at the doctor, "I probably be ok with rest." She told herself and him, hoping she sound sure and that he saw reason in her words. The doctor could read her moods. He was striking cords. The way she tried to find ways to explain what he was saying. The way she looked defeated obviously fearing if he said too much he would cause her to be pushed too far. But it came with the job.

 

"Your friends in this 'world' of yours." He paused as she looked up a at him. "Do they also get nose bleeds too? Go almost 2 days without food and feel like they aren't hungry at all?" Micha swallowed and blinked quickly. Stopping her eyes from watering. "Do they also feel as if they are battling a constant sore throat and wake up a night soaked in sweat?" The doctor finished he questions and the two sat in silence. Micha sniffed and quickly wiped a stray tear. " So doctor." She gave a nervous laugh and rubbed her palms together. "What does this poor unfortunate soul has?" The doctor watched her a bit before opening the manila folder he had on his lap. "You have leukemia." He said right off the bat.

 

Micha breathed out shaky breaths and looked at him as if he grew three heads and green hair. "I. I have what?" She asked him, a weak smile on her face. 'This is a joke right? The others will come out and tell me that.' When he said nothing she felt her heart sink. "When you fainted we saw an abnormal amount of white blood cells from the sample we took when you faint. To get an exact idea of what we are looking at I need to look at your bone marrow." He said calmly but as he spoke Micha felt herself not fully hearing what was being said anymore. "Leukemia?" She asked herself as he spoke. He briefed her for ten minutes before asking if she had any questions on her state. "So when does it go away? Do I need to take certain medicines for a few months and get some shots?" She asked him, sounding tired from the big impact, Micha rubbed her temples and closed her eyes as she waited for his answer. 'I guess I could push back my showcase by a few months. It will give me some time to work and then it also helps give me time to think of that drama offer I had waiting for me.' she thought to herself. She looked up though when she realized he had yet given her an answer. "Doctor?" She asked, and felt the answer before hearing it when she saw the grave look on his face.

 

" Ms. Song. Leukemia isn't something that simple. It is a form of cancer. How long it takes for you to heal, if you even heal, that I can not even tell you myself." He said. Micha swallowed and nodded, "Of course. Yes. I get it." She said quickly, nodding her head slowly then looked around as if she was searching for something. "I will find an appointment for you to meet me in the coming week. So we can fully discuss the best course for you." He said, sighing as he watched her balled her covers in her fists and nod her head. "I am wishing the best for you." He said before finally leaving the room. Micha bit her lip as she squeezed her eyes as tight as she could. "Something always happens to me." She whispered to herself as her tears started roll down her cheeks. Her knuckles white from how strong her hold on the covers were.  "I can never enjoy happiness can I?" She felt as if God was just being too cruel to her as she broke down in the hospital bed.