Chapter 10

Reaching You

"Sorry I am late." Micha said and bowed to her producer. She cursed herself for going with sandals when she had a close call with a food cart while rushing down the hall. She was wearing her glasses as she knew she would be reading a lot. "Oh right. My name is Lily and I thank you for helping me make my first step as an idol. Please, again, excuse my tardiness." She said in a clear and loud voice. Her album producer told her it was ok since Andy and her manager gave him a heads up.

"This is the man who created first song you sill be recording." He said and the other male in the room stood. "My name is Song Yangha, I am happy to be working with you." He said and handed Micha the lyrics to her debut song. "I am told this will be your debut mini album's title track." He continued. Micha confirmed what he said was true. "Thank you for allowing me to sing this song, it seems really amazing." Micha said, complimenting his work.

He played the instrumental of the song allowing Micha to get a better feel of the song. Yangha asked her to sing the lyrics as a practice run before hitting the booth. He corrected her in a few parts, asking her to sing in a lower note in some parts or correcting her pronoucing of some words. After he felt she was ready they sent her into the booth. "She has a nice voice, it is soulful but at the same time shows clear emotions." Yangha said once Micha was in the booth. She was setting up the microphone to her height and situating her lyrics. "You are right, she didn't train for even a month so you can tell she has raw talent. Maybe even some untapped ones." Her producer added watching Micha as she worked.

"Ready." She said reciving an ok sign from both men. She was in the studio working on the song for the next four hours. They had to take twelve takes before Micha gave Yangha the sound he was looking for. He had to ask her to sing slower a few times and then to speed up for some lines. He also had to remind Micha that although the last verse had to be sung with full emotion and as if she was in pain from longing for someone she had to sing it in a controlled manner. This is what caused three of the twelve takes. They allowed Micha a five minute break to rest her voice before moving onto her mini album's intro track. Micha stepped out of the booth and the bottle of water that was waiting for her to drink.

"Since we got the song down I have to take my leave. I have to have this song perfected by friday." Yangha said and bid the two good bye and good luck. "He will likely want to work with you again." Her producer chuckled remembering how Yangha praised Micha as much as he corrected and scolded her. "He seems nice. I can tell he wanted his song to be sung in a special way to bring out the feel of it. It only felt right that I fit his needs since I am the one singing it." Micha said to him. He handed her the next two lyric sheets, one being her intro. "Can you rap?" He asked. Micha told him she never really tried to but he threw away the idea, he didn't want to take risky moves for her at the moment.

"Ok, I am going to need you to narriate the lines, think seductive but playfully so. Lower your voice a bit too." He said and shooed Micha back into the booth. "Yes sir." She said and set her bottle down, sad to see her break go but enjoying her time in the studio. "Go." He said and Micha said her lines:

 

'Look after me, love. Watch me bloom. Watch me shine. Ha ha. Enjoy the sweet melodies that I sing. They are for you, you know that right. Am I the one for you? If not I hope I can be. Pleasd look over me. I am your sweet Lily.' She read perfectly in the first run through surprising her producer. "I bet you talk like this to your boyfriend." He joked causing her to deny ever having a boyfriend. He laughed and mentioned she probably won't be able to say that for long, making her raise a brow at him. "Now I want you to a few verses. It is freestyle but don't go too crazy." He said and let Micha do her thing.

 

As she sang she impressed him again. 'I wonder if I can get Andy to switch out one of the dance tracks for a jazzier song' He thought to himself as she finished. "And that is a wrap." He said and told her to move onto, what he saw as the album's hidden jewel, the mini album's duet song We Really Did Love Each Other, which she will be singing with Dongwan. This song took almost five hours to run through before she got it down as she had to make sure to do some parts at the perfect tempo since it was a duet. Once they finished Micha helped herself to a cough drop that was in a small candy dish on the table. "You are doing really well. We only have two more tracks to run through tomorrow. A dance track and an accoustic ballad." Her manager said and handed her the lyrics to the two. "I need you to learn gutair peice to the accoustic song as we will be recording you playing it tomorrow for the track." He finished.

Micha looked over the songs and nod. "Isn't this a Teen Top song?" Micha asked him. "We got permission to use Crazy for your mini album." Micha nodded and started to sing the lyrics when an idea hit her. "Instead of a gutair we should change it to a ukulele. I think I can work my voice around it better and it would be something new. They already have a slowed version of the song so I can imagine that my cover would sound pretty bland if we use any of the same instruments." Micha said quickly then stopped herself remembering her place. Her producer smiled at her and told her it was ok, " I like your idea. We can try both tomorrow and see which will work better. I will just need you to come up with the arrengement for your ukulele idea." He said. The two spend fifteen minutes discussing ideas before her manager showed up.

"See you tomorrow Sir." Micha said and bowed good bye. "See you then Lily." He said as she left. "Yup. She is going to become something big. I can feel it." He said to himself and shut down the studio for the night.

- - - -

 

Writer's notes:

Yes I did steal real songs and here they are:

My Bell - Jungah from After School Album

We Really Did Love Each Other - Navi ft. K.Will

Crazy - Teen Top

For Micha's singing voice it is like a blend between Navi's and Soya's. I will be stealing other singers songs but I try to stay away from taking their title tracks or most commonly heard ones if I am not having Micha do a cover.