02.

Hurt

Ding!

 

I mentally thanked the person who rang the doorbell. Jungkook retracted his hand from my waist and I felt the warmth leave my body, replaced by cold. I lowered my head and walked out of the kitchen hoping that he wouldn't catch the sight of my tears falling.Leaving him alone in the kitchen, I headed to the door. I wiped my tears dry and took a deep breath before opening the door.

 

 

"So Eun ah! Sorry I left my keys here-" The lady stopped midsentance as she spotted a shadow by the kitchen. "Am I interrupting something?"

 

"...Is that Jeon Jung Kook?" She asked as I handed her a pair of keys.

 

.

 

She stepped into the house and I could feel her raging emotions as she glared at him dangerously. Her pretty face was scrunched up and it didn't fit her usual cheery self at all.

 

Im Yoona. My best friend and unnie who knew about my past. My treasured one. The one who understood me so well, better than myself at times. The one who stood beside me, lent me a shoulder when he wasn't there for me. The one who took me in, where I could have a real home. The one who comforted me, cheered me up when I was down.

 

Here, lived Yoona, me and Kai, her cousin.

 

Kim Jongin, otherwise known as Kai. The big brother who seemed like he didn't care but actually did. The one who bought me food when I craved for them. The one who understood me well too. The one who knew when I was upset. The one who protected me. The one who would quietly do things for me. 

 

Kai. Yoona. My family.

 

I held my silence as Yoona glared at Jungkook dangerously. I didn't dare to look back at him.

 

I don't want to crumble.

 

"What are you doing here?" Yoona questioned, raising her voice and I felt Jungkook's presence behind me. Yoona looked between me and him as if wanting an explanation from me. I inwardly cringed.

 

"If you are here to hurt her again, leave."

 

"I -..." Jungkook stuttered at the tone of Yoona's. The latter pointed to the door and I instantly felt sorry for Jungkook.

 

"It's alright. I'm alright." I touched Yoona's shoulder and she retracted her hand. She sighed before leaving the house.

 

"Don't hurt So Eun in any way. You know me too Jungkook, you know what I can do." She left the door, leaving Jungkook and me in an awkward silence.

 

Don't you dare cry So Eun, Don't you dare.

 

"I'm going out, so leave." I said, after changing into warm clothes when Yoona left and the episode was over.

 

He stood at the same spot when I came out.

 

"Not leaving? Suit yourself." I shrugged and left the house.

 

"Where are you going?" He grabbed my wrist and pulled me around to face him. I stared at him momentarily unable to force any words out of my mouth.

 

"None of your business. Just leave alright?" I spoke and wriggled my wrist out of his hands.

 

"So Eun, I meant what I said. I need you." It was the last words he said before I stomped out of the door. My mind is in a mess, I don't know what to think.

 

What part of you is real Jungkook?

 

What do you mean?

 

I broke into a run. I needed time to clear my head.

-----

 

"Oppa." The little five year old girl looked up into the night sky, swinging herself back and forth on the swing. She loved coming to this playground, especially because there was a swing here. She loved how swings made her feel so carefree, as if she could reach out to touch one of those bright stars in the sky.

 

However, she knew the consequences of sneaking out so late to this playground. She knew what will lay before when she reach home. She'll get spanked again by her mother or maybe her maid even for sneaking out again at night. Despite the pain and wounds that follow after these late night meetings with Jungkook, she never regretted them. Never.

 

"Hmm?" The older boy swung on the swing beside her, admiring the stars.

 

"What's your dream? What do you want to become when you grow up?" She asked, shifting her attention to the boy.

 

"I don't know." He replied honestly. He never thought much about the future. All he wanted to do was to treasure every second of his childhood, living happily with the girl beside him.

 

"I wish to stay with oppa and play swings everyday." She replied innocently, tilting her head back up to the night sky again.

 

I just wanted to be with you Jeon Jungkook...

-----

I stopped at a traffic light junction panting.

 

"So Eun ah! Is that you!" I heard someone calling me. A old lady who just came out from a cafe was waving towards me.

 

Mrs Park.

 

"Ahhh it was really you! I saw you running. Are you rushing for an appointment? If not come in and sit with me!" She joyfully patted my shoulder. She looked older than before. Although she had her hair dyed black, the wrinkles at the ends of her lips when she smiled were more visible now. But her kind eyes still remained the same, with the same sparkle she had. Naturally, I broke into a smile.

 

"No no I'm not. I'll go in with you then." I hurried to answer and she clapped at my answer like a little kid and shuffled me into the cafe.

 

The cafe haven't changed. The walls are painted baby pink, with large paintings hung up. The wall filled with polaroids of various customers that had patronised the cafe over the years had filled up with even more photos since the last time I had been here. She pushed me down a comfortable red armchair beside that wall as she called someone over.

 

"So Eun? Oh my! Why haven't you been here in such a long time! Me and grandma was beginning to think youhad abandoned this cafe as your favourite!" The person Mrs Park called over exclaimed. She had her hair tied into a messy bun, dressing in comfortable jeans and a woolly sweater. She looked familiar...

 

"Park Ji Na?" I exclaimed, enveloping the girl in my arms. She was Mrs Park's grand daughter helping out in the cafe during her school breaks and also one of my best friends before Jungkook had left.

 

"We will catch up soon! Go get her the usual!" Mrs Park chuckled shooing her grand daughter off following behind her. I relaxed in the armchair as I watched the old lady and the young girl busy themselves at the counter.

 

Mrs Park and Ji Na...they never stop quibbling, do they?

 

My eyes then trailed to the wall beside me and a few polaroids. A girl and a guy beaming with their hot chocolates. A guy and girl munching on free cupcakes given to them. A girl in shock while a guy kissed her cheek. A guy and girl...kissing. Memories...

 

Jungkook...and me. Happily in love.