08.

Hurt

"Kai!" I ran to catch up with him. His fist was tightly clenched as he walked on.

 

"Jongin." I caught his arm and he spun back. The fury in his eyes took me aback. "I...I" The words I wanted to say seem to be stuck in my throat. Kai must have noticed my discomfort as he softened his gaze. "Are you alright?" I nodded numbly even though both of us knew the answer to the question. He nodded but he continued his way home, leaving me standing by the street, wondering when all this drama would be over. He was angry. Not with me, but with Jungkook, with himself. I know that he wants me to be happy. I know him well enough to tell but the sad part is that I can't fix it. I just can't.

 

I let out a frustrated cry and headed to a place I knew I could forget all this, even if it was just awhile.

-----

The music blasted in my ears as the crowd began to expand. I squeesed my way through the large number of people, all sweaty from dancing to the upbeat music. I missed this place. It had been awhile since I have been here as I usually picked the easier option of staying back at the school's dance studio.

 

I dropped my bag at the lockers before entering the dancefloor, dancing along with the crowd. I love how everyone danced till their hearts content here regardless of whether they were good or really bad. The important thing is always to have fun here and that is my very reason of coming here.

 

The music stopped midway and the crowd groaned.

 

"Sorry to interupt but ladies and gentlemen," A familiar plump man tapped the microphone he was holding. With a genuine smile plastered on his face, he continued. "it's time for the dance battle! For newcomers, this is the time where anyone can come up to the dancefloor to showcase what you've got. The winner of this battle will get a mini prize at the end. Simple? Then let us begin....Time to clear the dancefloor!" He shouted into the microphone and everyone cheered as a guy had already stood on the dancefloor, head held high, daring anyone to come up.

 

My veins pumped with excitement as I remembered the day today. This is a competition held weekly and I use to come here with Bangtan just to battle it out and get the prize. The prize varied each week. Sometimes it was money, sometimes it was food and sometimes it was alcohol, which we often gave away since we were underaged. It is amazing to see so many different dancemoves in a single night and I remember loving this place because of this weekly dance battle. This place hasn't changed. The battle is still as awesome as before and the dance moves...wow wicked.

 

The battle went on as dancers after dancers showed off their moves.

 

"So Eun my dear!" The plump man from before slapped his arm on my back and I was close to stumbling forward. I looked at the man before me, trying to recall who he is.

 

"Don't tell me you have forgotten me! I'm Jack!" He laughed. The name sparked a part of my memory as I widened my eyes in disbelief. "I couldn't recognise you! It's been too long." I meekly replied. He had been in charge of the battles since bangtan ad I started to come here and we knew him so well that he used to take us out for meals.

 

"Where's your crew?" He asked and I shrugged. He didn't probe further but pushed me towards the dancefloor.

 

"Ladies and gentlemen, presenting to you So Eun, one of my favourite girl dancers, make way for her bacuase she's about to blow your mind!" He announce with his wireless microphone and with one last push, I was in the middle of the dancefloor, face to face with another girl. My heart pumped as I recalled the excitement I use to have when I tried to showoff all my moves. The girl gave an amicable smile. She broke into a series of y moves, earning several hoots from the guys.

 

Watch me girl.

 

My turn. I started out with simple footwork, before I plunged into a series of dancemoves I had learnt over the years. Standing back up with a final pose, I smirked at the look on the girl's face as she backed away into the crowd. At the moment I felt like I was the best. No one was against me...or rather nothing was against me. No problems, nothing. It wasn't the win that made me satisfied. It was the way I've dance. I forgot how dancing freestyle was like after attending dance classes day after day, following choreography. This feeling was amazing.

 

I was ready to leave the dancefloor. "Wait up! Our turn to challenge." A girl placed her palm on my shoulder, pushing me back to the dancefloor. Only when I lifted my head had I realise that she had a partner with her. Like the previous girl, she had a smug look on her face as the guy circled his arms around her waist. Two against one. "Scared little girl? We are gonna win this." I hated this part of the dance battle, when things starts to get offensive. When people start to jeer and taunt.

 

I need you Jungkook, where are you?

 

I surprised myself as the thought came out of nowhere. Memories began to flood into my head as I watched the couple starting to dance.

-----

"Little girl, don't think you have won. Choose a partner it's two against two now." The woman infront of me snickered as she gave the guy beside her a sultry look. It's my first time witnessing a couple dancing together, much less a y couple dance and I didn't know how I should battle this out. With bgirling? I don't think it will do. I glanced around, slightly intimidated as the couple circled me, throwing in several rude remarks, mostly about my age. I felt underestimated.

 

Where are you Bangtan?

 

As though on cue, Jungkook managed to reach me. He gave me a confident smile as he held on to my hand. At that moment I felt complete. I haven't told anyone, but I had a huge crush on him since years ago. And right now, right here, his touch is enough to give me the strength. I no longer felt like a little girl. I am a dancer.

 

With a small squeese Jungkook gave, I knew it signalled that it was our turn, our moment to enjoy.

"R2!" I shouted and he nodded at the signal of the choreography we were going to use.

-----

Like before, the couple decided to split up, one on my left, one on my right. The man's laughter filled my ear as I felt enormously insulted.

 

Why does everyone think that I'm a little girl?

 

I scanned the crowd, in hope that there was someone that would offer to dance with me. I din't care if it was a stranger, as long as we had fun...right? Everyone just watched on, ready to see me walking off the dance floor as the cheers for the couple grew louder. My heart sank. I was never one that would give up so easily, but here I am ready to give up? What had change? I knew the answer in my heart.

 

"Lets try dancing R2." A voice whispered next to my ear. 

 

Jungkook? 

 

My head whipped around and I found myself staring into the eyes of the boy that I had just left behind at the dance studio. I stared at him back his eyes was trailed on the couple infront. I gave myself two second to recover before I went along with the choreography. It has been long, but I remembered it all.

 

The battle lasted quite awhile as both sides ran out of ideas. We had to end it here somehow. Reading my mind, Jungkook pointed upwards and mouthed "Flip.". I took a glance at the hands he had put out infront of him. I nodded. We waited for awhile before the chorus of the song came. I stepped on his steady hands and boosted myself upwards to finish it with a flip. I panted, watching the couple back raising their arms in defeat.

 

"Anyone else? No? Well then, we have our winners! The legendary So Eun and Jungkook!" The crowd roared. My heart swelled with pride. I almost forgot how it waslike here. I laughed as I gave the person next to me a hug. Only as I pulled away did I realise that it was Jungkook. He wore a grin on his face, his eyes shaped like crescents.

 

I forgot more than how this place was.

 

I forgot how much I loved dancing with you. I forgot ow much I loved these battles with you. I forgot how much I loved those smile of victory you had.

 

Awkwardly, I returned the smile, but he pulled me back into his embrace and I caught awhiff of his cologne...the very cologne I gave him on his first birthday after we had first started dating.

 

"We won So Eun. We won." He breathed into my ear as he held on tightly. I tried to resist the uge of hugging him back but in the next moment, my arms were no longer dangling awkwardly by my side. It was around his waist.

 

And I found myself sobbing in his emvrace.