10.

Hurt

When I was younger, I usually spent my mornings in school before I returned home with Jungkook, who would entertain me till my older siblings got back from their extra lessons. My mother would prepare sweet treats and a warm mug of hot chocolate for each of us. I was living in bliss, even though my father rarely paid attention to us, I was contented with what I had.

 

But the very day I turned thirteen, I returned to a quiet house. No scent of delicious cookies, no classical music playing in the background. The house was eerily silent. My heart thumped and fear started to build up. By ten or eleven, I knew that my father was not a simple man. He had illegal dealings in order to make his business thrive. We all know inside that he had tons of enemies and thus he sent my older siblings for fighting lessons. I barely escaped it as Jiyong stood up to argue that I was far to young to be involved. Those lessons were not simple self-defense lessons. It was to teach one to kill. And the situation at home then was easy for me to guess that something was not right.

 

"Something's not right." Jungkook whispered beside me. He was going to celebrate my birthday today at my house. Like my older siblings, he was involved in the illegal dealings since his father worked closely with mine. His words only affirmed my suspicions. He grabbed my hand as we entered the house together.

 

"Umma?" I called out. No response.

 

We both climbed the stairs silently.

 

Please tell me this is happening for a birthday surprise.

 

But what we both saw was definitely not a birthday surprise for me. There were specks of blood on the carpeted floor. I chocked back a sob as we both saw my mother laying across the king-sized bed, motionless. I didn't know how to respond. Jungkook ran towards her to check her pulse, while I turned around, silently screaming.

 

This cannot be happening. No no no.

 

No, it isn't real.

 

I turned back to see Jungkook backing away from my mother. I couldn't take it. I ran. Ran to find my brother, my sister. Anyone that could tell me what's wrong. This couldn't be happening. It can't. I ran for a long time, till I reached school again.

 

"Oppa..." I called out as I burst into his class with no warning. I didn't care to go through all that formalities. What's the point now? Jiyong shot out of his seat almost immediately, rushing towards me.

 

"Jungkook?" He asked. It was then I realised that Jungkook chased after me.

 

"Umma...umma." Sobs broke my sentence midway.

 

It's real.

 

Jungkook enveloped me in his arms while Jiyong raced out of school, which I assumed was home.

 

Why?

 

It's all father's fault.

 

My father showed no emotions. He gave her a quiet funeral and only showed up for awhile. The hatred I had for him was immense. Nothing could compare to it.

 

I thought things would look up, but no. Heaven had to be cruel. A few months later, Ha Eun followed my mother. The two losses hit me and Jiyong hard in the gut. Hatred for my father only grew, it never lessened. I didn't want to be involved with him or have any connections. I wanted to pursue my own dream but only to be shot down and forced to take up the lessons my older siblings tried so hard to protect me from.

 

By eighteen, I turned out stronger than I was at fifteen. But I was disgusted. Disgusted with myself, disgusted with what the things I have actually done that helped my father. I couldn't go against him. Punishment was harsh. I was a dirty creature, one that don't deserve anything. When my father decided to get a mistress, I decided that it was enough for me. Enough was enough. I had to get out of it before I sink any further.

 

-----

"We are shifting to LA. Business is better there." Besides, the Korean police have caught wind about our businesses here. It's time for a change." Father declared.

 

"I'm not leaving." I spoke bravely, despite my insides shaking. "I'm staying."

 

"Stay then. But remember, you'll have to return someday." He said before I twisted the doorknob after turning to leave. I was surprised by how easily he allowed me to leave. But I should have known. He took everything away from me. My house, my savings, everything he could get his hand on. Even Jungkook and Jiyong.

-----

 

"You are really leaving, ain't you?"

 

"So Eun..."

 

"Let's get to bed. It's late." I spoke and climbed into the warm covers of the bed. I turned away from him. I refuse to look at him.

 

"Goodnight." He sighed and climbed beside me, putting me in his embrace...for probably the last time.

 

Hours passed and we kept in the same position. I could feel his light breathing behind me as I felt his warm breath tickling against my neck. I stayed awake, staring into the darkness.

 

It's time.

 

Cautiously, I slipped out of the warmth, into the cold surroundings. I shivered from the cold, marble tiles.

 

I'll let go.

 

Tears began to fall as I slipped the ring off my ring finger. The shiny metal reflected the moonlight and I traced my finger over the carefully carved letters.

 

Jungkook & So Eun

 

I love you.

 

Silently, I placed the ring into his bag and zipped it up quietly. Slowly, I slipped back into the warm haven, with tears still trailing down.

 

Goodbye, love.

-----

Was love always this hard?

 

"So Eun, come with me. Stay with me. Leave with me." He whispered and enveloped me in one of those hugs that comforted me. Only this time, it didn't comfort me at all. It gave me anything but comfort. I glanced around at the airport, trying hard to be strong.

 

Uncertainty, hurt, anger. It was everything I felt.

 

"I have made up my mind. You know well enough that I am not changing my decision." I pulled myself out of his embrace relunctantly and forced myself to stare at his brown orbs. "Goodbye, goodbye Jung Kook." I turned and headed for the exit. My steps quickened, even though I knew him well enough to know he wouldn't chase behind me.

 

Cold wind slapped my face as soon as I stepped out from the airport. It seemed so surreal.

 

Everything will change. I know it.

 

Bitter tears ran down my face before I even realised.

 

"I'm sorry my love. Goodbye Jeon Jung Kook."

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Possibly the worst chapter I have written and I apologise for it:(

Have a great day!