Brightening Day

Sacrifice Thy Heart

Gary helped to wash the dishes after lunch so that Ji Hyo could chat with Granny. After which, he cut and marinated the dinner ingredients. He placed the pre-prepared ingredients into the refrigerator. He then took a little tin pail from the corner of the kitchen and filled it with clean water.

He joined Granny and Ji Hyo on the front porch where they were enjoying the breeze and their barley tea. He asked Granny whether he could bring Ji Hyo to the beach. Granny was reminded of the time when he was still a young boy and he had asked for her permission then to bring Min Rin out. The manners of this child would never change. She looked at Gary and Ji Hyo but she was seeing Hee Gun and Min Rin who were still in their teens in her mind eye. Granny got out from her reminiscence and she gladly agreed to let Ji Hyo go out with Gary.

On their way to the beach, Ji Hyo asked Gary what the pail of water was for and he just told her to wait and see. Gary led her to another part of the beach which she had not visited. They walked past some old houses and cut through one of their alleys to reach an abandoned shed. This part of the beach was shadier as it benefited from the tall trees growing along it. He took off his footwear and placed them on the step of the shed. He urged her to do the same. With one hand in his pocket, he was about extended his other hand to her when he pulled himself back and shoved it into his other pocket instead. He took the first step to walk on the sand and used his voice to prompt her to follow him. She followed him hesitantly.

The sand under her feet felt a little hot and prickly. But as she took more steps forward, her feet got used to the heat and roughness and the sand actually felt warm and soft instead. She ran towards the water and when she reached it, she let the waves washed over her feet. She had visited Granny a few times after her first trip. Each time she would come to the beach but she always had her shoes on. She would sit on the beach but she had never ventured into the water. She giggled like a little girl as she kicked the water and saw the splash that it made.

Gary stood aside behind her and watched her. He was happy to see her happy, yet he did not fail to remind himself that he could not love her any more than a sister. He picked up a small rock and he threw it into the water. The little rock skipped five times before it sunk into the water and formed ripples around its final landing.

She was impressed. She attempted to do the same thing but her rock dropped into the water in its first hop. She tried again and the rock sunk as soon as it hit the water. She tried a few more times and they were all unsuccessful. She heard his chuckles. She was about to kick the water at him when she saw him showing his hand with a rock in it to her. He demonstrated carefully to her how he had flicked and threw the rock into the water and this rock also skipped five times before it went under the water surface. He explained to her that it was not the amount of strength and speed that mattered but it was the angle and spin that was more important. He even guided her in choosing the right type of rocks for the job. After another few tries with his guidance, she managed to make the rock skipped once. She was a fast learner after all.

She was about to try again when he took the rock from her hand and placed it into his cap. “Let’s go beach combing,” he said to her. They walked along the beach and picked up rocks and shells which looked interesting to them.

When they returned to the shed, they took a rest in its shade and Gary poured out their stash from his cap onto the floor. They were admiring their collection when he told Ji Hyo to pick her favourite one and she picked a white round pebble. He picked the one which he took from her hand earlier. He was about to sweep the remaining rocks and shells into his cap when she held his arm to stop him and asked, “What are you doing?”

“These rocks and shells do not belong to us. We had our fun in collecting them. We should return them to the sea now.” He explained serenely to her.

She nodded in understanding and said, “Then let me choose one more.” She peered at the rocks on the floor and picked a big white pebble.

“Is this for Jong Kook hyung?” he asked before he could stop himself. She gave him an affirmative with a light smile. She helped him put the remaining rocks and shells into his cap. He walked towards sea and emptied the contents of his cap near its edge. He could feel her gaze on his back but he did not turn around nor look back. She gazed at his back with an unknown admiration as he walked towards sea. However, she looked down on her own feet when he turned around and walked towards her.

When he reached the shed and saw her looking at her feet, he smiled. He took the pail of clean water and placed it before her. He told her to dip her feet into the clean water to wash off the sand. He turned around and took his T-shirt off. With his back still facing her, he handed his shirt to her and said, “If you don’t mind, you can dry your feet with this.” She took the shirt from him and dried her feet lightly. She was touched by his gesture. She was reminded of their feet-washing mission in Running Man. She didn’t really like it then but she went through it because of the show. She was sorry that she had kicked the water at him then. She wanted to say sorry to him but she could not think of what good would it make now. “I’m done,” she said. Without turning around, he extended his hand to her and she placed the shirt in his hand. He shook and flapped his shirt a few times and pulled it over him. He then turned around to face her. He stood on the step of the shed and poured the pail of water over his feet. He then slipped his wet feet into his flip-flops.

It was late afternoon when they returned from the beach. Gary went to prepare their dinner after washing his hands and feet while Ji Hyo had her shower. When Ji Hyo was done with her shower, she sat with Granny in the kitchen watching Gary cooked their dinner. They didn’t chat but their silence was peaceful and calm.

They had a rather lengthy and chatty dinner. Gary told them about his experience and the people that he met in Cambodia in vibrant details. Granny was only interested in whether he had met any girl of interest there which Gary fervently denied. Ji Hyo chortled at their exchange of words. When Gary could not stand Ji Hyo having so much fun at his expense, he asked her, “Why are you so happy?” Granny answered before Ji Hyo could respond, “She is happy because you are still not taken.”

“I don’t think so,” Gary replied quickly before any moment of awkwardness could set in. “She is happy simply because she thinks she is the prettiest girl based on our conversation.” Of which, Granny retorted, “Since you can’t find someone of interest, then our Ji Hyo must prettier than them all.” Ji Hyo laughed even harder. Gary learnt that night that he could never outtalk two women concurrently, especially with the combination was Ji Hyo and Granny. He let them had their fun at his expense good-naturedly.

Gary had his shower after washing the dishes and cleaning the kitchen. When he came out from his shower, Granny had already retired into her room and Ji Hyo had gone over to the bedroom building. He knocked at the door and entered the room only after he had her permission to do so. She sat at one end of the room with a set of mattress, blanket and pillow. She had placed another set of mattress, blanket and pillow on the opposite side of the room. She knew that this was his room whenever he visited Granny. The wardrobe had his clothes. She didn’t really mind sharing the room with him because she trusted him. She was more concerned about what Jong Kook would think if he got to know that she slept in the same room as Gary. He caught her discomfort. He walked over to pick the spare set of mattress, blanket and pillow. He told her that he would be sleeping in the living room of the other building and he reassured her that this arrangement was perfectly all right for him. Sleeping in the living room was his original intent, with or without her discomfort. He was just glad that she had chosen to stay over as per her original plan and not to drive back to Seoul in the night.

That night he took the headphones and music player out from his backpack and placed the rock into it. He covered his ears with the music which they intend to use for their new album. He was grateful for this day but he refused to let his feelings be stirred because of this day.


The sky was still pitch dark when she woke up. She looked at the time on her watch and she guessed that the sun may rise soon. She had missed the sunrise for all her previous trips here and she wasn’t going to miss it this time. She put on her jacket and went over to the other building. She opened the door of the other building and floundered her way in the dark. She tripped on Gary’s blanket and landed on him.

Gary woke up suddenly in shock. He found Ji Hyo on him. He was embarrassed. He had nothing but his boxers on under the blanket. He was glad that the room was still dark. He spoke to her in a hushed voice so as not to wake Granny up. He asked her to close her eyes first. He slowly pulled himself, together with the blanket, out from under Ji Hyo. He helped her sat up. He fumbled for his T-shirt and pants and put them on quickly. He got up and switched on the light. “You may open your eyes now,” he whispered to her.

“I’m sorry.” She had closed her eyes when he instructed her to do so. It took her a while to realise why he had instructed her to close her eyes. Upon her realisation, she was equally glad that the room was dark because she was just as embarrassed as Gary.

“It’s all right. Why are you here?”

“Can you watch the sunrise with me?”

“Sure. Let’s me get my jacket from the other room.”

He led her to the front porch before switching off the light and closing the door. He went to the other room and took a sweater and a jacket. He pulled the sweater over himself and held the jacket in his hand.

With the moonlight and a few streetlamps guiding them, they walked towards the beach. The breeze grew stronger and the air was chillier as they approached the beach. Gary passed the jacket in his hand to Ji Hyo and she gladly put it on.

When they reached the beach, the sky was not as dark as she had expected. “Have we missed the sunrise?” she asked him disappointedly. “Not yet,” he reassured her with a smile. They sat on the sand and gazed at the horizon. He started humming the new song that he had been listening to through the night. With the sound of the waves accompanying his humming, she captivated by the soothing and catchy tune.

The sky was getting brighter moment by moment. Then, they saw an orange line appearing at the horizon. The orange line slowly grew broader into a band. A bright yellow arc started to emerge from the water. It rose higher and the sky grew even brighter. There was a display of red, orange and yellow shades across the horizon and above them were the white clouds and blue sky. The emerging sun was like a luminous pearl. The sun casted its brightness over the water and formed its wavy reflection. The golden sunrays shone on her face and it almost took his breathe away when he turned to look at her. She was like an angel or even a goddess in his eyes. He caught his own thoughts and he shook his head in an attempt to drive them away. She felt his movements and turned to look at him. Their eyes met and held on to each other. Gary turned away first. She then looked at her watch and said to him, “I think we should go back now. I have filming today and I have to get going.”

They walked back to the house in silence.

When they reached the house, Ji Hyo looked up at morning sky and saw the moon. “The morning moon is so beautiful,” she said without noticing the reaction her comment had on Gary. His heart fluttered for a moment. “She couldn’t have known about the song that I wrote for her,” he thought to himself.

“The sunrise is also beautiful but it takes too much effort and patience to see it and its brightness is a little too glaring to me.” These were words that she did not say aloud.

She proceeded to went to the room to pack up and get ready for work. Gary went over to the main building instead.

She entered the main building to bid Granny goodbye. She found Granny in the kitchen with Gary. He passed her a plate with an omelette on it and said, “Eat this before you go.” He then asked for her water bottle which he filled with warm barley tea. “You can drink this as you drive,” he said to her. Just before she left the house, he handed her an apple and said goodbye.

Gary stayed in Granny’s house for another two days. He swam in the sea and went fishing. He did whatever he could to keep himself busy and happy. Perhaps “happy” wasn’t the right word, “being at peace with himself” might be a more accurate and appropriate description. 

 

 


thanks for reading! your comments are appreciated. 

this is another chapter on Gary. Jong Kook has not been forgotten, the next chapter will be on Spartace. (18.09.2013)