Netflix Instant Queue: Tidal Wave

▌♚ ▌ ※ h a l l y u r e v i e w ※ ▌♚ ▌
tital-wave.jpg

Tidal Wave.

Netflix Instant Queue

About Tidal Wave: Wikipedia Entry

Thoughts: Its called 해운대 in Korea because that's where it takes place. Its perfect, if you ask me.

You know, this sort of reminded me of the story "Noah's Ark". A man is told that disaster is going to be set upon humans, he warns said humans and no one believes him. Said humans are killed in aforementioned disaster.

All in all, it was an amazing movie and the ending is one no one really expects. The sensitive will cry.

Notable moments:*SPOILERS* In the beginning. It was set in the Indiana Ocean in 2004, when the tsunami hit. A group of fishermen were in the ocean deep fishing when it hit. Flash forward to Korea, where the fishermen's families wait to hear their fates. A young girl goes up to the man and asks, "Are they okay? Is my father okay?", to which the man replies, "Yes, they found them and will be okay."

Everyone cheers.

Flash back to IO, where the rescuers are saving the men. There is an elder man trapped under a fishing gate and there is a younger male trying to get him out. He fails and the elder reminds the younger man that he has to survive to take care of 'Yeon-hee'. The younger man pleads with the elder to let him help save him, but the elder sends him on his way. You can guess how it plays out afterwards.

Flash to Korea, where we see the same young girl who asked about her father sobbing into the arms of the man who said her father was okay.

Then, the end, where Hyeong-sik, a lifegaurd, is attempting to save Hee-mi and her douche bag friend after they are stranded in the see during the tsunami. After saving Hee-mi, he goes back down to save her friend, but on the way up the friend falls back down after ignoring many warnings to stay still.

So Hyeong-sik goes back down to save hin despite desperate pleas from Hee-mi and his co-worker. On their second way back up, the rope starts to break. He asks if the rope would go up if one person was on it, and his co-worker says it will. After a tearful farewell to Hee-mi, he cuts his harness, falling back down into the violent sea.

Based on his memorial portrait at the end, I think he died.

Notable actor: Lee Min Ki! Yep, the same Min Ki from 닥지고 꽂미남 밴드. The fact that I was already familiar with him and his work made his death even sadder.

Should you watch it? : Yes. As of 7/5/2013, it is available Netflix.

Rating: 6/5