Netflix Instant Queue: Silenced

▌♚ ▌ ※ h a l l y u r e v i e w ※ ▌♚ ▌
silenced.png

Silenced.

 

Netflix Instant Queue

 

About Silenced: Silenced (도가니; Crucible), starring actor Gong Yoo, is an account about a teacher who works at in a quiet town at a school for the deaf. While there, he discovered that the teachers and staff have been abusing the children, phusically and ually. The acts go unpunished when brought to the attention of the law due to the principal and director being "honorable" citizens with the community. In-ho, however, will not stop until justice is brought to the children.

 

Thoughts: At first, I didnt understand it. I was growing antsy due to the slow beginning and if it wasn't for my friend Haemi saying it was really good and Netflix giving it 4 1/2 stars, I would've turned it off during the first 10 minutes.

Thank God I didn't.

When the three children were introduced and their backstories were heard, I started to become more and more interested with the plot and attached myselves mentally to the characters (which is something you should never do with movies like this).

The whole time I was rooting for In-ho, Yoo-jin, Yeon-Doo, Min-soo, and Yuri. I was disgusted with the behavior of the teachers and staff and at the school and the people of the community (and I still refuse to believe that the trial was fair).

The worst part? Most of the movie was based on a true event about an actual hearing impaired school in Gwangju.

I've lost all faith in humanity.

But the movie was AMAZING and the ending had me bawling on the floor next to a confused mother.

 

Notable moments: *SPOILER* At the end, when there was a protest involving dear people at Min-soo's "funeral". When the police came to break up a silent protest and a funeral was just....but the true moment of awesome was when In-ho stood in the middle of the street clutching Min-soo's memorial portrait while police shot water at the protesters, all while getting drenched himself. Amazing.

 

Should you watch it? : YES. As of 7/4/2013, it is available on Netflix.

 

Rating: 5/5