The Cold, A Bus, and A Block

Paranormal Love

Baekhyun tapped his foot impatiently looking in both directions down the road. The bus was suppose to be here. "Ugh! Where is it?" The small boy whined. "It was suppose to be here by now." Baekhyun took out his phone to check the time. His eyes widened then narrowed in anger. "That little midget- he made me leave early!" The time on his phone read 6:24. Baekhyun hit his head on the cold bust stop pole in front of him. 

Chanyeol tilted his head, confused. "What's wrong?" 

"That evil troll made me leave 20 minutes early. You know what I could've done in those 20 minutes?" Baekhyun gave him time to shake his head before continuing, "something productive! Maybe not almost having a heart attack from eating to fast." Baekhyun puffed his cheeks and pouted. 

Chanyeol smiled patted the little ones head. "What's so bad about waiting a small 20 minutes?"

Wrong question. Baekhyun glared at him like he was an inferior human to him. "Since you haven't noticed, it's October, it's freezing out here and I barely have much to cover myself with but this stupid thin jacket. 20 minutes in the cold could get me sick. My immune system isn't that strong you know." Baekhyun crossed his arms but the cold really hit him so he started rubbing his hands and arms. 

"Ok," Chanyeol said, "that's the bad. Don't you have something to keep you distracted so you won't really think about the cold or how long your standing out here?" He suggested.

Baekhyun turned to him, still a little upset, "I think I brought my headphones."

Chanyeol grinned as Baekhyun searched his pockets, finding his earbuds. Baekhyun adored his music. A lot of the songs he listens to make him feel like he's at his happy place even when he's staring at the horrible reality. Plugging them into his phone and into his ears, Baekhyun put on his favorite playlist with songs he picked that helped him forget about what was around him and actually think. 

As Baekhyun shut out the world, Chanyeol observed everything he did. From the way he would look at the sky without even blinking to the way his blank expression showed that he was deep into his mind and the song. Chanyeol thought it was very different. He had never met someone to love music so much that they could easily get lost in it. Baekhyun didn't sing, hum, tap his feet or nod his head. He was still, very still, like a statue. He didn't seem very cold now. Chanyeol learned another thing about Baekhyun today, something unique. 

20 minutes past very quickly for the both of them. Baekhyun was turned in the direction the bus was coming from but obviously didn't pay an attention to it. Chanyeol heard it coming down the road and waved his hand infront of Baekhyun. Nothing. "That must be some song your listening to." The bus was getting closer. Chanyeol tried hitting oe of his earbuds out but it only moved a bit. "Curse this ghostly form." Chanyeol mummbled. He swung his hand for the earbud and it came out of Baekhyuns ear. Chanyeol had also slapped Baekhyun kinda hard. 

"What the hell was that for!?" Baekhyun whined holding that spot Chanyeol hit. The taller's eyes were huge and he randomly apologized trying to explain. "Yeah yeah, forget it. It didn't hurt much anyway." Baekhyun grumbled. He saw the bus stopping infront of him and made his way on. Chanyeol followed with his head down still feeling bad for hitting Baekhyun. 

The man driving the bus turned his head and smiled to the boy walking up the bus steps, "Goodmorning Baekhyun." said boy smiled and bowed politely, paying his bus fair and sitting in his favorite spot on the bus, the seat next to the one right behind the driver- it made it easier to have conversations. Chanyeol sat in the one next to him. The older man examined what Baekhyun was wearing and he slightly frowned, "Baekhyun, it's freezing out there. Where's your scarf, gloves, and hat? You'll catch a cold like this." The driver grew concerned for the little one. 

Baekhyun chuckled at how much the man cared about him. "I didn't expect it to be so cold today. It wasn't like this all weekend. I had almost forgotten my jacket this morning too."

The driver laughed at what Barkhyun said. "You seem to misplace your head sometimes too, or else you wouldn't forget so many things."

Baekhyun pouted, "Mr. Lee, you should pay attention to the road a lot more." 

Mr. Lee snorted, "The who would entertain you when you leave your universe at home?" 

"You mean Galaxy?" The boy asked with a smile.

"That too!" 

Baekhyun laughed at the old man. Then he slightly turned his head, seeing Chanyeol just staring at him. "Oh right. This is Mr. Lee, the most awesome bus driver you will ever come to know." Baekhyun praised Mr. Lee who listened to what he was saying.

"Who's your friend Baekhyun?" Mr. Lee asked, looking at him from the rear view mirror above him. 

Chanyeol's eyebrows came together in confusion. He looked questionably at Baekhyun, waiting for him to explain. 

"He knows I can see spirits. Like I said, he's cool." Chanyeol nodded. Baekhyun turned to talk to the driver, "Mr. Lee, this is Chanyeol. Chanyeol, Mr. Lee." 

"How do you Chanyeol?" Mr. Lee tipped his nonexistent hat to the tall boy he couldn't see.

Chanyeol waved, "Annyeonghaseyo~!" 

"He said hi." Baekhyun told the man, who just smiled. "Mr. Lee, I'm going to take a nap now." 

Mr. Lee nodded his head, "I'll wake you when I'm at your stop." 

"How long until we get to the school from here?" Chanyeol asked.

"About 30 minutes. This bus has other stops." The other nodded his head again looking out the window of his bus seat.

Baekhyun then put his earbuds back in and started his music again, closing his eyes, he went off into his subconscious thoughts. 

~*~

"Baekhyun open your eyes!" Mr. Lee yelled over the small speaker. Baekhyun groaned because it was in the middle of a song he was listening to.

He opened his eyes and could see Chanyeol waiting for him outside and that they were at the bus stop near the school. "Thanks Mr. Lee. See you tomorrow!" He said, leaving the bus. 

"Have a nice day Baekhyun!" Mr. Lee said before closing the bus doors and driving off to finish his rout. 

"Where exactly are we." Chanyeol asked the shorter.

Baekhyun started walking in the direction of the school with Chanyeol close behind. 

"Only a block away from the school. Won't take long to get there. It use to be easier to get there but they built this stupid cafe where an ally was- I used it as a short cut. Now I have to walk the whole way." 

Chanyeol put his hand on the others shoulder. "That ." 

"Well my life so makes sense right?" Baekhyun didn't notice Chanyeol's hand on him until he turned to look at him. "Uh? Why?" 

"Oh sorry." Chanyeol retracted his hand and looked away.

Baekhyun turned away too, "It's okay."

They were both awkwardly silent until Chanyeol started talking again. "So I can stay with you the whole day since I obviously can't go to my classes?" 

"Technically, you can still go to your classes. You just can't take notes and talk to your friends you usually sit wi-" Baekhyun faced Chanyeol mid sentence and say a pain expression on his face so he stopped himself. "Oh my god, I'm sorry! I didn't mean it like that! Don't be upset." 

Chanyeol shook his head sadly. "It's okay. I can deal with it." 

Baekhyun felt bad that Chanyeol couldn't even talk to his friends anymore. He shouldn't have brought him if he knew he was going to have to go through this, but they were already near the school. "You can stay with me all day. And think of it this way, at least you can hang with upperclassmen all day.....sorta" he mubbles the last part trying to think if that made sense or not. 

"Yay I can meet your friends!" Chanyeol was energetic again.

How do you even do that so quickly? "My friends are kind of...weird?" Baekhyun was trying to think of a nice way to put just how "weird" his friends were.

"Everyone's a little weird. Nothing bad about it."

Baekhyun nodded, "Yes, but..," the small one sighed,"you'll see."

They had made it to the front of the school. Baekhyun checked his phone and saw that he still had 25 minutes before the bell. "Great, I get an extra few minutes with my friends before spending the rest of the day with them." Chanyeol could here that he half-heartedly cared about what he just said. "Another day another nonexcistant scar right?" Baekhyun told himself more than anyone else.

"I thought it was another dollar?" Chanyeol asked no one.

"Not in my case. Let's go." Baekhyun pulled his book bag up and headed for his friends usual spot in the school.

I don't think I can handle this day very well.