Wake Up

Paranormal Love

Waking up, without opening his eyes, Baekhyun groaned. The unwanted sun rays beamed into his room. It was a weekend and sleeping in past noon was the first item on his agenda.

Eyes forbidding to crack open even the slightest, Baekhyun pulled his covers far over his head and turned in the opposite direction of the window.

Its been about 10 minutes of silence, other than the faded sounds of birds chirping, bypassing cars and staring at the darkness of the back of his eyelids. Knowing he wasn't going to get back to sleep, Baekhyun frustratedly threw the covers over his head. Careful not to accidentally flip his giant stuffed dog off the bed. His late older brother, Minseok, gave it to him for his birthday two years ago. Being 14 at the time, his parents thought that he wouldn't care for it but accept his gift. Baekhyun thought the same thing, but the thought that Minseok gave him something other than a card for his birthday for the first time and an actual gift (not that he didn't love the humor cards he'd always get and remember) made him all giddy and take the golden brown dog with a delighted cheer. 

Remembering his brother, Baekhyun shoot out of bed and went to Minseok's room across the hall. Baekhyun knocked on the door and waited for a response. 

A cheerful "Come in!" was heard and Baekhyun smiled as he opened the door. You're the only exception.

"Hey Minseok!" Baekhyun greeted his older brother. Well, his brothers spirit. Minseok's faded, see-through spirit hovered over his bed on his belly. I won't be lonely and cry if you leave.

"How's it goin'?" Minseok asked not looking away from the television.

Baekhyun laid in the same position beside his brother. Letting out a yawn, "Just woke up. Stupid sun." he mumbled the last part in annoyance, making his brother chuckle at him.

"Don't be mad, I was getting bored anyway. You know nothing good ever comes on before noon. That's a main reason why you sleep in." Minseok said matter-a-factly. 

"I guess. Hyung, why do you have to float like that? I know you can't really control the whole see-through thing but you know you can actually touch objects." Baekhyun argued.

"And how do you know I can touch things?" Minseok defended himself.

"How else would the T.V. be on." The question came out as more of a statement because of the amount of sarasm. Raising his eyebrow at his hyung, Baekhyun also pointed to the T.V. set that their mother disconnected to "conserve energy"

Minseok thought for a second, "The dog?" failed to make it sound like a good excuse.

Baekhyun furrowed his eyebrows, "Dogs can't use doors retard." Just then, before Minseok had a chance to fail at defending himself again, their dog, Minnie, came barking and running around in the room.

"Minnie!~" Baekhyun singed as he rolled off the bed to play with his dog.

"Remind me why we named our boy dog Minnie?" Minseok asked confused as he walked over to the younger getting by the huge dog on top of him.

"Because his the biggest German Sheperd anyone's ever seen~" Baekhyun, mainly talking to the dog, in a baby-talk tone. "His big so I reversed it and called him Minnie. Like a play on words or something." Baekhyun continued, sitting up after the dog moved off of him. 

Minnie looked over to the spot where Minseok was crouched down smiling at him. Whimpering in sadness, Minnie slowly walked over to Minseok and curled up infront of him. This made Minseok and Baekhyun's smile instantly dissolve. 

Minseok let out a sigh. "He really misses you." Baekhyun said in a pained tone. It was heart breaking to see an animal so sad and lonely, it almost brought him to tears.

"I miss you too buddy." Minseok whispered mournfully, petting the dogs fur. At his soft, barely felt touch, Minnie howled lowly. Baekhyun let a stray tear slip from his eye, not daring to wipe it away. 

"Come on Minnie, we have to eat....hey, what time is it?" Baekhyun asked, trying to stir away from the sorrowful moment. Minnie, at the sound of his name, sat up with his ears perked up and his head tilted to the side. 

Baekhyun went to the T.V. to see the clock. "9:17. Cool we can have those hotpockets Minnie!" He said excitedly to his dog. 

"Theres a fully functional clock on the wall right there. Can you not read it or something?" Minseok asked. "And you know he likes the blueberry Eggos more." Minnie barked right after, as if agreeing. 

Baekhyun pouted, "No one likes counting off those little lines! And fine, Minnie can have the waffles." at that, Minnie barked and ran out of the room obviously to the kitchen.

"Greedy dog." The two brothers sighed in unison. 

 

~*~

 

"You comin' with me and umma to vist you and appa's grave?" Baekhyun asked quietly but you can hear the sadness in his words. 

"Of course. I can't stay hear by myself. You guys take Minnie almost everywhere." Minseok answered, watching Minnie enjoy his breakfast. "Where is umma any-"

"Baekhyun is that you down there!" Their mom called as she walked down the stairs. 

"Yeah it's me." Baekhyun said before their mom came into the kitchen. "Morning!" He beamed at her

She smiled back and hugged him, "Morning. And hello to you too Minnie." she said as she went over to pet Minnie.

"Hi umma~" Minseok said barely loud enough for Baekhyun to hear, sad that his mother couldn't hear him, ever.

"Why is it so cold in the kitchen?" She asked more to herself. Baekhyun looked at Minseok who had his head down. It's always cold around spirits. "Anyway, we're leaving to the cemetary around 1, so be ready ok?" She told her son.

"Ok." He responded, putting the wrapper from the hotpocket in the garbage before going upstairs. Minnie quickly followed after.

Minseok stayed in the kitchen, watching his umma brew up some coffee before she made herself breakfast. He slowly walked closer to her so she wouldn't feel sudden temperature change. After she was done making everything, she sat down in the living room to watch T.V as she ate. Minseok sat next to her and watched the news with her. They both sat quietly, faces expressionless. Expect for Minseok, who had a hint of pain in his. After she was done eating, she put the dishes in the sink and walked over to the shelf in the living room that held all of their family photos. Minseok followed right beside her. She sighed shakingly, looking over the pictures.

"Minseok..." He shot his head in her direction after hearing his name. She had a picture of him in her hands. It was the picture he took with his parents, Baekhyun, and Minnie after his highschool graduation last year. "...Yongseok..." she whispered as she traced her fingers over her late husbands face, "I love you both so much. I miss you both." she kissed the picture before she smiled painfully. Hyerin placed the picture carefully back on the shelf, and walked off to her room upstairs. 

Minseok stayed in his place. Looking at the spot his umma was just in before looking over all the pictures. She stopped at a picture of him and his appa when they went fishing. He smiled thinking back to that day. I'm glad you didn't have to stay here like I did appa. I'm happy you moved on. I hope your happy too.