Our Love Is Fate

Paranormal Love

As Baekhyun studied for finals for the third night in a row, he could feel himself slipping in and out of consciousness. His first final exam- maths- wasn't until next Tuesday. Though Baekhyun usually has no trouble with passing tests and exams, he has a horrible habit of getting his nerves worked up when it comes to end-of-the-school-year exams. They're the same as every other one, he says to himself constantly, but apparently his mind and body don't work well together during this time so the poor boy is left to stress himself over studying for an entire week.

 

Baekhyun was on his fourth can of red bull and had already drank two cases since his first night of studying. Fortunately, his lack of sleep hasn't disrupted his academics during the day, but at home, he was especially cranky that even Minseok doesn't talk to him- fearing that one slip of a joke would send Baekhyun off edge causing him to snap.

 

But there was another annoying spirit Baekhyun had to worry about. Chanyeol had tried on countless occasions to talk to him while he was studying. Baekhyun hasn't snapped on him yet- mainly because the boy was being extra careful with what he said and when he chose to bother him. It takes some effort but it's all worth it to Chanyeol if he gets to talk to the older.

 

Baekhyun was going over his chemistry notes and popping open his fifth red bull when Chanyeol decided to walk in. "Chan can you not right now it's almost 1 o'clock in the morning and I really need to finish these notes for the night. I don't have time to talk." His last sentence was elongated due to an unexpected yawn. "I'll talk to you in the morning."

 

Chanyeol sat on the edge of the desk. "I wouldn't believe you if it wasn't Friday night. You've slept in every day this week since you started studying. Promise me you'll get some rest tomorrow."

 

"I can't," Baekhyun yawned again, rubbing his eyes, "I have chores to do and I haven't even started my elective exams notes yet. Repetition is key Chanyeol."

 

Chanyeol shake his head at the exhausted boy next to him. Watching Baekhyun work himself to death is hard to watch. This is one of the times he wished he was alive so he could force the boy to put the books down and go to sleep. Chanyeol decided to entertain himself with what was on Baekhyuns desk.

 

Old mail, magazines, prom ticket, discarded sticky not- . . . Wait. "You're going to prom?"

 

"Mhm." Baekhyun tiredly answered as he closed his notebooks and textbooks for the night, finally giving up and surrendering to the sleep trying to catch his eyes. "Remember, I got the tickets last week." He shuffled from his desk to his bed, slipping off his house slippers and cutting off his lamp on the nightstand.

 

"No I don't remember...are you going with someone?" The tall boy asked out of "curiosity".

 

"Yeah, me, Jongdae and Injoon. I'm tired Chan, we can talk in the morning." Baekhyun slowly trailed off as he was pulled further into sleep until he was completely gone.

 

Sighing, Chanyeol walked to the door, telling the sleeping boy good night before leaving the room.

 


 

True to his word, Baekhyun had busy himself with chores the moment he got out of bed the next morning. He didn't eat breakfast, not particularly feeling hungry until after he finished the dishes he neglected the night before, mopping all the floors that didn't have carpet, vacuuming, feeding and walking Minnie, cleaning the bathrooms and moving the trash bin to the back of the house. Surprisingly, Baekhyun had managed to get all of these things done before 2 o'clock.

 

There was something off. Everything was too quiet. As Baekhyun sat down to eat his lunch, he realized that a certain tall transparent boy was nowhere in sight all morning. Baekhyun tried not to let it bother him, thinking that maybe Chanyeol had been with Minseok or something.

 

After eating and lazing on the couch for an hour or so, Baekhyun walked up to his room which he hadn't been in all day. Ascending the stairs, the boy noticed scattered rose petals on the floor. He was confused but followed them to his room anyway. Opening the door to a dimly lit room, Baekhyun saw what might the weirdest yet cutest thing he had seen in a long time. Chanyeol kneeling on one knee next to Minnie who had a rose in his mouth with a note attached to it.

 

Baekhyun was speechless for a while, mainly because he didn't want to say something that might come off as offensive to whatever Chanyeol was trying to pull. The idiot had the hugest smile on his face. "Ummm...what's this?" He asked slowly.

 

"This, my dear mortal, is romance." Chanyeol smirked, "Please take this rose for I cannot hold it myself."

 

Baekhyun, face showing utter confusion, slowly walked towards his dog and took the rose out of his mouth, opening the note, it read: * Byun Baekhyun, will you do me the honor of accompanying me to our high school prom?

 

Baekhyun felt a smile tug at his lips but he didn't let it. "Chanyeol-" he said with a sigh.

 

Chanyeol stood quickly to cut the other off, "Before you heartlessly reject me, we both know I'm just gonna go anyway but I wanted to make something out of it. I mean you only go to prom once and it might as well be with someone you love-"

 

"Yes."

 

"-and even though I'm not there in person it still counts...yes?" The taller repeated, a smile growing on his face.

 

"Yeah I might as well accept at least one of your proposals or you might not love me anymore." The boy smirked.

 

Chanyeol closed the distance between them with a hug. "I could have suffered through another rejection, but thank you."

 

Baekhyun chuckled, "Leave it to you to make something that is completely normal extremely weird." He backed away, walking towards his desk to start studying again.

 

"Does this count as a date?" Chanyeol asked as he creeped up next to the smaller.

 

"Sure Chan."

 

"So that means we're technically dating-"

 

"Don't push it Park."

 

Sitting on the desk, Chanyeol lifted his arms lazily in defeat. "Can't blame me for trying."

 


 

Finals were finally over and Baekhyun- along with the rest of the school- was completely relieved. Just a few more weeks, he thought to himself once the bell ringed to indicate the end of the school day that Friday.

 

Baekhyun was just leaving his testing area with Kyungsoo and spotted the rest of the group waiting for them at the end of the hall.

 

"How did the Chem exam?" Jongdae asked as he rubbed the sleep out of his eyes.

 

"It was fine. Nothing too challenging if you understand most things." Kyungsoo answered, "I felt like I was taking a regular classroom test just with more questions."

 

"Well it must feel good being so smart."

 

Baekhyun noticed how Jongdae looked as if he had just gotten out of bed. "And it must feel great not taking any exams on the last day and sleeping for 6 hours. Why didnt you just stay home?"

 

Jongdae scoffed. "My folks won't let me stay home from school even if I had the plague. Plus I like knowing that while I'm watching movies, snaking, and sleeping all day, you bookworms are suffering."

 

"Anyway," Joonmyeon chimed, "We're going shopping for tuxedos for prom tomorrow afternoon-"

 

"Do you two want to come with us?" Yixing finished.

 

Kyungsoo and Baekhyun exchanged glances before answering, "Sure." and "Yeah, I got nothing planned."

 

"Alright then, we'll meet at the store at 1PM." Joonmyeon announced, "See you tomorrow." He pulled Yixing towards the exit as the other waved goodbye.

 

"Bye guys." Jongdae started walking in the other direction.

 

Baekhyun and Kyungsoo made there way to the bus stop together.

 


 

Once Baekhyun got home, he dropped his book-bag, picked up a red bull and some chips from the kitchen, shuffled to the living room and plopped down onto the couch. Finals were over and all he thought about all day was his couch, fattening foods and Netflix.

 

"Post-exam ritual?" Minseok asked, taking a seat next to his brother.

 

Baekhyun hummed as he stuffed his face with snacks and watched anime he's been neglecting for over a week.

 

"I remember those days."

 

"Hey Baek. How were finals today?" Chanyeol came in the room sitting were the other had made room.

 

"Horrible but I'm sure I passed." He took in another handful of chips.

 

"Surprising amount of confidence coming from the person that was damn near pulling his hair out studying for a week." The elder commented.

 

"I gain confidence after knowing I did a good job."

 

"Yeah but what if you messed up and did something like putting the right answer but to the wrong question making your entire test a fail."

 

"Yah stop jinxing me!" Baekhyun threw the empty bag of chips at his brother. He watched the bag fall to the other side of the couch and listen to the two spirits laugh their nonexistent hearts out. "I hate both of you." Baekhyun sunk into the couch while turning up the volume of the television in attempt to hide his embarrassment and annoyance.

 


 

Baekhyun had spent the entire night on the couch with junk food and his Netflix account as a treat to himself for being successful with his exams. When he woke up, he saw that he had fallen asleep on an episode of an old drama. Honestly he can't even remember half of what he watched last night but pushed the matter aside- it wasn’t that important.

 

When Baekhyun walked into the kitchen to get a bowl of cereal, he saw his mother setting the table with breakfast for two. "Ah umma, you didn’t have to make breakfast for me." He yawned as he sat down at the table.

 

His mother kissed his head and sat down across from him. "I didn’t make this for you. I was craving a full breakfast this morning. However, I cant just let you starve while I eat hardily. What kind of mother would I be?" she smiled as she cut her pancakes into four pieces.

 

Baekhyun laughed at his mother and began eating also. There was a moment of silence until he spoke again. "Oh umma, I'm going out today with my friends to look for tuxes for prom next week. Is that okay?"

 

"Of course." She approved, "You all just be safe while you're out. Do you still have the money I gave you?"

 

"Yes umma. Thank you."

 

After breakfast, Beakhyun went up stairs to get ready to meet up with his friends. He was messing with his hair in the mirror when Chanyeol came into his room.

 

"Where are you going?" The boy sat at the edge of the others bed, watching him lazily fix his hair.

 

"Tuxedo shopping today." After finishing his hair, Baekhyun went to the closet for shoes and a jacket. "How warm is it outside?" he asked himself, contemplating the jacket.

 

"Can I tag along?"

 

Baekhyun decided to wear a thin hoodie and some sneakers. "I don’t see why not. You are technically my 'date'."

 

Chanyeol started to blush, growing a shy smile while fiddling with his fingers. "Yeah, I am aren't I?" He asked himself quietly.

 

When Baekhyun turned around to get his phone and house keys from his nightstand, he noticed how awfully sheepish the latter had gotten. "I'm not gonna call you my date if you're not going to be a man about it."

 

"Yes sir." Chanyeol straightened up and pulled himself together with a grin. He motioned towards the door, "Ready?"

 

Baekhyun nodded and they headed for the front door. However, Minseok stopped them in their path to the staircase.

 

"Where are you going?" He directed the question towards Chanyeol. It came out more demanding than he intended.

 

Baekhyun answered, "We're going to the store to look for tuxes for next week." He didn't have the thought to invite his brother; he couldn't see why Minseok would have a reason to tag along.

 

"So why is Chanyeol going with you?" Minseok kept prying, much to his brothers annoyance.

 

Chanyeol was about to answer but Baekhyun beat him to it. "Chanyeol asked me to be his date to the prom last night if you must know." He spoke with an aggravated tone, "I invited him to go along with me and my friends today because, after all, he is my date."

 

Minseok turned to Chanyeol with a surprised, yet unpleasant look, "You did what?"

 

Again, the taller was not able to get his voice out before Baekhyun started talking, "What's gotten into you Minseok? Do you have a problem with any of this?"

 

There was a moment of silence before the elder answered, "No, not at all." Minseok retreated into his room leaving a sour atmosphere around the other two.

 

Baekhyun glared at his brother while his fazed through his shut door, he shook his head as he turned to the staircase, "Let's go."

 

Chanyeol looked back at Minseok's room worriedly before following the bitter boy like a puppy until they were outside. They were in route to the bus stop. "Are you okay Baek?"

 

"Of course not." He huffed, "What the hell is wrong with him all of a sudden? Who does he think he is? As if he has the right to talk to us like some kids."

 

Chanyeol could see that the more Baekhyun talked about it, the angrier it made him. "What color bowtie are you thinking about getting?"

 

"What?" Baekhyun asked half-annoyed half-confused.

 

"Your bowtie. Where you thinking about a specific color? Are you and Jongdae getting matching bowties? Is it going to match Injoon's dress? How is she by the way? Haven't seen her in a while."

 

Baekhyun caught on to what Chanyeol was doing. He started to smile at the boys' sweet attempted to calm him down by changing the subject. "I haven't really thought about it actually. I might trick Jongdae into wearing something stupid." He chuckled, "Injoon is fine, I guess. As a matter of fact, she is Jongdae's date so I'm sure they're gonna be the ones with matching colors."

 

Chanyeol grinned while the other was going on and on about the different topics he brought up on the bus. Whenever Baekhyun smiled or chuckled it made him feel…content…relaxed. He felt as if he was understanding what love really felt like for the first time.

 


 

We have a problem…

 


 

Once they got off of the bus the two made there way across the lot of the plaza. Baekhyun hadn't stopped talking nor did Chanyeol stop listening fondly. When they entered the tuxedo store, Baekhyun  was greeted by Joonmyeon, Yixing and Kyungsoo.

 

"Thanks for coming on time." Joonmyeon took a glace at his watch that read 13:00, "Literally."

 

Kyungsoo took notice of how the younger walked into the store chuckling to himself. "What was so funny just then, Baekhyun?"

 

"A joke just popped into my head is all?" He was quick to make up a lie, fighting back a giggle with a laughing Chanyeol next to him. "I see Jongdae isn't here yet."

 

Joonmyeon rolled his eyes, "You can never expect punctuality from him-" He was cut off the by ring of the stores door chimes. "Nevermind."

 

"Hey guys!" Jongdae exclaimed as he and Injoon, who extended a polite boy to everyone and a silent nod towards Chanyeol, walked up to join the group.

 

"I'm guessing the only reason you're not 30 minutes late is because of Injoon." Baekhyun pointed out.

 

"Thank you by the way." Joonmyeon added.

 

"I would not have been an entire 30 minutes late," Jongdae said defensively, "Only about 25 minutes."

 

"Did he drag you here against your will?" Yixing asked the girl jokingly."
 

Injoon chuckled, "No, I wouldn’t say completely against my will. He did beg though." Jongdae gapped at her statement, yet didn’t object to it while everyone laughed at him.

 

"Well let's get started." Joonmyeon motioned for everyone to start taking a look around the store.

 

Injoon took a seat in the seating area near the dressing rooms. Just then, she had dazzed off, getting a cool sensation throughout her body. "Yes, Minseok."

 

We have a problem, Injoon.

 

"What is it?"

 

Chanyeol asked Baekhyun to be his date to the prom and Baekhyun accepted.

 

"I see…"

 

I know you're at the store with them. You have to do something.

 

Injoon watched as Baekhyun and Chanyeol whispered to each other. Baekhyun had not stopped smiling since the group dispersed because of the taller. "No, I don’t believe I can."

 

What? Are you even hearing yourself? You said-

 

"I know what I said. I have been thinking about this for quite sometime now. This is fate Minseok. Their love is fate. Nothing we do can prevent it."

 

But Injoon, please…

 

Jongdae was walking towards her with an armful of bowties and suite jackets in his arms. "I understand. But this is far out of our hands. I'm sorry." Injoon cut off their communication before the boy got to her. She quickly put on a smile as the giddy boy tried to figure out which tie matched the fabric of her dress that she brought- she helped him of course.

 

Eventually, Injoon's attention strayed over to the super natural couple. Chanyeol with his arm around Baekhyun whispering to him as Kyungsoo was trying to help him find a descent bowtie. Her smile became hopeful as she turned her attention back to an indecisive Jongdae.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: So it has come to my attention that the last time i uodated this story was the autumn of 2014...i am so sorry this hiatus took just about two years to get over but i am back and filled with ideas for the ending. In the last notic i posted i said that there are going to be one or two more chapters until the final of this story and i hope be finished by the summer time so i can get to my other stories. PL is my top priority as of now and i plan to stick to it hopefully. Again, thank you for waiting for my lazy to update. I hope you guys like this chapter~