A Stranger

A Stranger. A Sister. A Friend. A Lover.
XSYKOTICA

A stranger. A sister. A friend. A lover.

 

 

I could say that the way you came to our life was really unexpected

 

I remember going out of the house and seeing a black van parked outside. I saw you, a girl with auburn wavy hair peeking from the half-opened car window. You were wearing black shades but I could tell that you were looking at our house. My eyes narrowed, curious on who’s that brave person who brought such an elegant ride into our neighborhood. 

 

We lived on the slums; my mother and I. If you would ask me, I would say that it’s the type of neighborhood where all the people thrived hard just to get by with each day. We’re poor so we didn’t have a choice of living in a better community. We lived in a dangerous place and everyday of our life, either we stay or go out of our little home, we could only hope that we’ll get through our days with food enough to fill our stomachs and go home with all our body parts intact.

 

I didn’t know how mom and I managed to survive in that kind of place but I wanted to think that it’s because there’s nothing we couldn't do as long as we’re together. Cheesy, one might say, but to me, my mother was everything. She's my comfort wall; the one who assured me that I have someone to lean on.

 

I walked closer to your car, but as soon as you saw me approaching, you started closing the window. You averted your gaze away from me, preventing me from seeing you better. I knocked at your door, wanting to ask if there’s anything I could do to help you with but your car drove off before I could get close enough to see your silhouette against the car's heavily tinted window.

 

It was peculiar to me; the thing you did. I thought you were disgusted at someone like me so you drive away just from the mere sight of me. 

 

I used to think like that, you see. When you're poor, you tend to be paranoid when you think someone rich was belittling you. So I thought of the reasons why you did that, to feed my hurt ego, to feel better about my poor pathetic life.

 

But I needed to go to school. I couldn't dwell on the thought. So I walked on, keeping in mind that thing you did was not something to give a about.

 

My day was okay after that. If I was to describe it, I’d say it was a typical one. I went to school. Listen to my teachers. Hung out with my friends. Watched my soccer player crush training for the nationals. Talked about the latest hot's and not's. Like I said, typical. 

 

The day was so normal that it didn’t even occur to me that after the bell for dismissal rang, the fire that ran through the tread of change was burning closer and closer to its end. That after that, I would go home and never be the same again.

 

I was actually in a good mood when I entered our house. I was even humming in happiness. After a long time trying, my crush finally noticed me and had asked me to go out with him on the coming weekend. I walked inside in a dancing manner, smiled plastered on my face. I was even skipping like no there's tomorrow.

 

Then I heard a sobbing sound. I followed it. I cocked my head and squinted when I saw two figures.

 

My mother was kneeling in front of you; holding on to you like her life depended on it. She looked like she was about to fall. You had your back on me and I couldn’t see your face but I was somehow grateful that you’re there, preventing her from falling.

 

"Omma?" I called.

 

My eyes widened in surprise when my mother turned to me. She was crying. My mother was a strong woman; gentle but brave. That was the first time I actually saw her cry.

 

Unsteady as she was, she struggled to stand and staggered her way to me. She kneeled right in front of me, bracing herself against me as she encircled her arms around my waist. 

 

“She’s here! She has searched for us!” Mom sobbed hysterically. I was confused. I didn’t know what she was talking about. She painstakingly stood up and enveloped me in a tight hug. “I can’t believe she’s here, Fany-ah! Taetae! She’s here! She finally found us!” She looked at me with an indescribable expression on her face. I tried to point her expression out. Was it desperation? Happiness? Completeness? I still couldn’t tell... The only thing clear was that she was crying, frowning and smiling at the same time.

 

What was making my mother like this?  

 

I hesitantly averted my gaze away from my mother. That’s when I saw you.

 

You were standing there in the middle of our humble living room, looking as stunning as always. You looked out of place and I started to feel disgusted by how dirty our place looked in contrast to your milky white complexion.

 

I couldn’t help but stare at you. The calm demeanor of yours that stood unfazed despite my mother’s little commotion. Our eyes met and you bowed down slightly to greet me.

 

But I didn’t greet back. I narrowed my eyes a bit. 'Am I dreaming?' I thought to myself.

 

Seeing you right in front of me, add that to the fact that you were inside my home. You, Kim Taeyeon, made me wished so bad I was dreaming. You flashed a smile and I was almost convinced that I really was getting crazy.  

 

It took me a while before I realized that your presence had stunned me. I was perplexed by the whole idea of someone so famous inside our house, what more if that famous someone just smiled at me. 

 

My mother gave you an encouraging nod and you started walking towards me. I stepped back, startled, but my mother held on to my hand, stopping me.

 

When you were close enough, my mother put her arms around your shoulders, holding you by the elbow with the other. She smiled at you while gently rubbing your shoulders. My eyebrows furrowed on its own. I didn’t like it; seeing you so close to my mother. My mother’s genuine smile was for me. Her warmth; only for me.

 

I wanted to interfere right then. Pull you away from her.

 

But then you smiled back at her. And there was it. The resemblance was so evident. The same eyes. The same mouth. The same smile. And suddenly I wanted to hit myself for being stupid. I've seen your pictures multiple times before. How could I not notice?

 

My mother took my hand and held yours with the other. She looked at me then at you and said, “Tiffany. I want you to meet your sister, Taeyeon.”

 

I felt like I was shot. I was dumbfounded. I opened my mouth to say something but no words were coming out. I couldn’t think nor could I say anything. I was so shocked.

 

I thought it was impossible. How could you be my sister? You’re Kim Taeyeon. ‘The’ Kim Taeyeon. While I am me, Hwang Tiffany. Just Hwang Tiffany.

 

You stepped forward and enveloped me in a hug. I stiffened at your touch. I didn’t hug you back. No. To a stranger hugging me, I would never do that. 

 

“Nice to meet you, little sister,” You said against my shoulder.

 

Your last two words echoed in my head. It was stinging. Making me hate those two words almost instantly.

 

You pulled slightly away. You looked me in the eye and even though I was taller than you, you patted my head gently like I’m so small. “Pack your bags. From now on, you two will not be living in this filthy place anymore.”

 

Want to know what I wanted to say to you at that time? 

 

'Put your hands off me. You ed up individual.'



A/N: If you are looking for an easy and fluffy read, this is not gonna be it. Fanart used is owned by Jellywing.