~02

Barricades of the Heart

Typically I wasn’t very gallant in terms of wooing girls. They’d usually come to me but I couldn’t care less. The girl at the party... she had that spell binding appeal , very intriguing.  She was hot but I could already tell that at the party, she did not belong. What was she doing at this type of gathering anyway?

 

Her reserved nature only made me think of her more. I must sound too forward, however, what happened last night was quite something. It’s a shame that I never got the beautiful stranger’s name. With only so much time left, I’d probably never see her again.

 

I remembered her sweet chocolate eyes and smiled to myself as I lay beneath this car in need of repair. I shook off the feeling and lifted my wrench back to fixing the vehicle.

 

“Hey Yeol, I’m going to head out early.” I heard Baekhyun say. His feet soon appeared next to the car, i assume he’s standing by it. “I’m taking Yura on a date tonight, that is if it’s okay with you. I’d hate to leave you by yourself.” Baekhyun said.

 

I smoothly slid out from under the car then sat up. “Go for it. I’m fine.” I assured him. Baekhyun approached my sitting figure and patted my shoulder.

 

“Thanks Bro. I guess I’ll see you at home?” He asked as he initiated our knuckle touch.

 

“Yeah, catch you later.” I replied bumping my large knuckles against his.

 

Pretty soon it was just me and the cars , alone in the auto-shop. Baekhyun left to pick up his girlfriend and I continued under the engine.


 

 

I had just returned my rented books at the local library and exchanged them for new ones. They weren’t necessarily new considering that I’ve read each of them at least once in this lifetime.

After doing what I had needed to be done,I hastily proceeded to my silver metallic Volvo.

 

It was the casual drive, windows down, radio up, and the wind in my face. I couldn’t wait to get home and read my books. The thrill subsided when the ride went bumpy and the car slowed down. I emerged to the side of the street and my emergency lights.

 

The first thing I did was get Yura on the phone, at least she had the decency to answer. “Hello? Minhee?”

“Listen, this is serious.” I said as I sat in the drivers seat of my immovable vehicle.

 

“What happened?”

 

“My car has a flat. Can you pick me up? Better yet, call Baekhyun.  Anything, God, I’m on the verge of panicking right now.” How unlucky of me.

 

“Minhee, I’m not home right now. Actually, I’m with Baekhyun. We’re kind of on a date.” She said. Now, I’m panicking. What was I supposed to do next? I was stranded with my car on one of the busiest streets in Seoul. Yura probably could’ve felt my worry by the silence through the line. “First of all, breathe. Don’t worry Minhee, Baekhyun has a friend who can help.”

 

Then Baekhyun must’ve taken the phone because it was he whom I spoke to next, “Hi Minhee, I’ll have my pal from the shop pick you up. He can take your car back to the shop and fix it there.”

 

“Alright. I’m at the corner of Jegiro and Dorimro. I’ll be waiting.” I told him. That’s what I did. I sat back on my seat and waited.

 

I then decided that I might’ve as well make use of my time by reading either of the books.

 

 

“Are you serious, Baek?” I complained, wiping the sweat off my face with an already dirtied towel.

 

“Yes. She’s a friend and she needs help.” He said. Eventually I gave in and leaned against the hood of one of the cars, listening to Baekhyun.

 

“Fine. Where is she?” I asked.

 

“Corner of Jegiro and Dorimro, she’s waiting. Now get your over there.” He said, which sounded more like an order. The dude is shorter than me and he’s ordering me around like I’m some damn butler? “Oh and Chanyeol?” He spoke again.

 

“What.”

 

“Thanks. I owe you so much.” Baekhyun thanked.

 

“Whatever.” Then I hung up on the guy, temporarily closed the shop and started the engine of my red pickup truck. Baekhyun better give me his next pay check. I should be out enjoying myself instead of working for an irresponsible boss.

 

 

4 more weeks of complete emptiness.

 

On my way, I thought about how I’d hate myself for leaving my bestfriend  to work on his own... without a friend and at the same time, I just wanted this break to be over already.

 

I finally hit the street and continued down Jegiro looking for the four-way intersection. Finally there was a fancy silver car in view. The emergency lights were flashing feverishly, confirming that this was indeed the one. Of all streets, why the busiest one?

 

I parked in front of the vehicle and stepped out of the truck. In situations like this, the driver would be outside of the vehicle instead of inside. And by looking the class of the car, she definitely was an uptown girl.

 

I walked down the concrete, making my way to the opened side window. The girl was sitting in the drivers seat with her head facing down towards the novel on her lap . Her lengthy brunette hair hung straight to the side covering her face, thus, keeping me from seeing her face.

 

I knocked on the roof of her car only to make a noise that would get  her attention then I cleared my throat before saying something. The girl then reacted to the sound by turning a cheek to face me. The words that were once being held suddenly vanished. I stood in shock,  astounded by the sight.

 

“It’s you.” She said, looking up at me. There, I faced the same brown eyes I’d first met last night.

 

I smiled in delight that she remembered. “Heh. Yeah.” Was all that managed to escape from my lips. I rubbed the back of my neck to ease my bashfulness. I looked down and noticed that her front wheel had deflated to the extent that it looked like it were melting to the ground.

 

“I see that your front tire is flat. Got any spares?” I asked.

 

“Yes I do. It’s in the trunk.” She replied.

 

“Great. Then let’s get this thing to the shop.” I told her. She nodded and hopped out the car. I led her to the passenger side of the truck and opened the door for her to climb in. Later, I hooked the car onto the back of the truck with thick chains before climbing into to truck as well.

 

It was silent as she sat still in her seat. I took a look at her and gulped feeling unaccustomed to awkward situations so I the radio and started the truck.

 

“Thank you.” She said so suddenly. She was watching me, her eyes piercing my skin. I felt it as I focused on the road. I took them off for a second to look at her. God, she was beautiful. In this light, she looked more of a natural beauty than last night.

 

“It’s nothing...” I responded. “I’m sorry, I didn’t catch your name.”

 

“Kim Minhee. Yours?” She asked.

 

“Park Chanyeol, the town’s happy virus.” I sent her a wink. Minhee giggled to herself.

 

The drive didn’t take long because the repair shop wasn’t located too far from downtown. As soon as we got there, Minhee hopped out of the truck and waited for me to transport her vehicle into the work garage.

 

I found her leaning against a wall , arms crossed, and eyes wandering all over the new environment.

“Cool place.” She said. Minhee must’ve been bluffing, considering that the place smelled of rust and aged oil.  Coming from a rich girl? She probably felt bad for me.

 

“Yeah right. It’s pretty lame.” I told her feeling low in my self esteem. I then proceeded to taking the severed tire off.

 

“No really. The working environment feels so stress free.” She said.

 

As I got to work, Minhee found a table to sit on and a magazine to read. Reading must be her thing, I noticed.

 

Come on Chanyeol, it would be an awfully wasted opportunity if you don’t interact with her. I told myself.

 

The place was too quiet so I had to do something.


 

 

I’m guessing this guy takes his job seriously which I found quite attractive. Might I mention, he was looking spiffy in his jumpsuit. I eyed him from time to time as I sat on this long table.

 

I blame my lack of experience with guys. It was too difficult to act normal around him. I wanted him to talk to me, but that was asking too much. He probably wasn’t interested after all. He probably liked ‘that’ girl back at the party. It wasn’t me at all. I looked down at what I wore today and it was completely different in style. I wore a conservative white blouse and jeans. My face was bare and my hair was completely unstyled. I doubted that I was his type.

 

Never once have I cared what guys or people thought of me. Not ever. Not until, now.

 

I’d look up and down from him to my magazine, hoping not to seem obvious of interest. This time I stared way longer than expected until he glanced up and caught me. I looked down at the open magazine that I had been ‘reading’ for the past half hour, and blushed wildly. Then when I looked up again, he wasn’t at his usual spot. Instead, he was up and heading my way.

 

Chanyeol kept coming closer and I couldn’t help but keep my eyes on him. The guy stopped and stood before me, way too close to be comfortable. Now face to face. I prayed for him not to get any closer, afraid that he’d hear the heavy pounding of my heart.

 

God must’ve not heard me because, Chanyeol only got closer closing much distance between us. He gently placed each of his hands on the table on either of my sides. Our stares connected for a short while until he looked away as he slowly slid his right hand going further and further behind me.

 

My thoughts were going wild as I tried to analyze his movements. What in the world was he going to do next?

 

Suddenly, a click was heard behind me and the sound of music began. Really? All that, just to turn on the damn radio?

 

Chanyeol eventually pulled back, “I can’t work in silence.” He said as an excuse then walked back to removing the tire. I sat there feeling stupid for a moment until I heard him call for me.

 

“Can I get a hand?” He asked.

 

“Me? But I can’t possibly...”

 

“Just help me hold this in place.” He said, he had both hands on the loose rim. My car was slightly elevated and the new wheel was already in place, however my rims needed to be screwed in.

 

“Like this?” I asked, holding onto the rims as he showed me before. He was now standing behind me with the bolt gun ready to secure the plate.

 

“Perfect.” He whispered in a tone that his deep voice was still quite noticeable. He said it so close to my ear that felt that numbness. I could stand here all day with him whispering sweet nothings in my ear.But again, nothing happened. He got the bolts in and that was it. My wheel was fixed.

 

 

I turned around and we were short at distance once more. He never moved.  Who said that tension couldn’t kill? I was tired of the provoking torment, I hated feeling stupid so just as I was about to prevent myself from another moment of embarrassment, he did something out of the blue. He swept the hair away from my face  and  tucked them behind my ear.

 

“Has anyone ever told you that you have pretty eyes?” He asked me.

 

“You’ve ought to be the first.” I said, biting my bottom lip. I tried to hide a smile but his compliment turned my stomach into butterflies, I couldn’t hold anything back.

 

“Is that so?”

 

I nodded in response.

 

“Good. That way it won’t be so easy to forget me.” He said, now wiping his hands with a towel. “Anyway, we’re finished here. Looks like your car is as good as new.”

 

I looked at my car and he couldn’t be more right...about both things. He lowered the vehicle and took it out of the garage.

 

I followed him out and got into the drivers seat.  Chanyeol rested his elbows on my opened window as I thanked him twice for the help. And that was before he asked me on a date. With Park Chanyeol, there was a first for everything.

 

He watched me sit back on my seat waiting. I could tell that he felt a bit fearful for the outcome of my answer. The thing is, there was no need to fret, he’d most definitely remain a happy virus by the time I'd left the shop...


and I’d have a date to prepare for tomorrow.


I decided that this fanfic would be longer than I orginally planned it to be.

I just couldn't help it.

I was having too many Chanyeol feels!

Kekeke. I hope you all follow til the end.

Thank you and enjoy! ^ ^