~03

Barricades of the Heart

I absolutely could not believe this was happening. After saying ‘yes’ to Chanyeol’s tempting call for a date, I phoned Yura right away.

 

It was until the morning of, that I realized it wasn’t such great idea to let her in on it. She had deliberately showed up at my front door in the beginning of the day with her makeup bag and purse of accessories, or as she calls it her ‘Bag of goodies’.

 

I simply gave her an unpleasant look and headed back upstairs to my room, leaving her at the door. Ignored her as she called my name from downstairs and continued to lay on my bed with my book. Eventually, she’d head upstairs anyway.

 

“There you are, always reading those books.” Yura criticized.

 

“So?”

 

“So you have a real  prince charming that’s totally into you!” She cooed. It was still hard to believe even when it came out of . It did feel good, I won’t lie, that someone actually took interest in me. However this was new to me, that ‘good feeling’ was too surreal.

 

“I don’t know about that.” I tried to act modest.

 

“Oh come on!  Baekhyun was surprised to hear the news as well, he said that you’re the first girl Chanyeol has ever asked out. EVER.  Of all girls, he chose a prudent bookworm. Seriously, you must mean something.”

 

I raised a brow at my friend’s explicit wording. “Prudent? Really.”

 

“Just let me fix you up. Please!” Yura was on her knees begging at my bedside.

 

“And allow you to turn me into a barbie? No thank you. I’ll dress my self.”

 

 

"What the hell were you thinking, Chanyeol?!" Baekhyun scorned as soon as he walked into the bedroom last night. I eyed him as he grabbed the closest piece of clothing laying around our  pathetically unorganized room and flung it in my direction. Must I say, that his aim was spot on.

 

“Pardon?” I sounded, then removing the dirty laundry off of my face and tossed it to the ground.

 

“Minhee; She’s a nice girl. What in your right mind made you think it was okay to ask a girl out? At a time like this?” Baekhyun then slumped on his bed then sat up to face me. Baekhyun was right. What was I doing trying to partake in a relationship just weeks before my deployment.

 

“I know.” I lowered my head, ashamed of my mistake. “Look, I like her alright?”

 

“Of course, Chanyeol. I’m glad that you’ve found someone but you know this won’t end well unless...Perhaps you’ve told her already?”Baekhyun softened.

 

“No, no I haven’t. But I promise I’ll tell her, just not yet. Now is not the right time.” I said. The stress was a nuisance so I pulled the sheets over my head to cover myself entirely. I hid beneath the sheath hiding  my guilt and remorse. I wasn’t supposed to meet her. Why now?

 

Maybe our meeting was predestined. We were bound to meet some day if not the first, at the market or at another one of Yura’s parties, consider it  an inescapable fate.


 

 

Excuse my rotten judgement, it shouldn’t be taken the wrong way but I assumed her father is some big shot CEO, which explained all the luxurious entities owned by them.

 

These ideas were perceived as I walked up the fancy stonework of a walkway that led to Minhee’s excessively valuable home. At that time, I was already feeling unconfident and insecure. I tried my best to suppress the negative thoughts though it was obvious that this chick was way out of my league.

 

If I turned around then, I could’ve saved myself from further damage to my self esteem but  my selfish being convinced me to go all the way.

 

I stood before her large door and rang the doorbell then listened as the chimes echoed throughout the house past the door. What if her parents open the door? What if they ask me a bunch of questions and find out that I’m a flop? I mentally panicked. The sweat commenced as my fingers fidgeted simultaneously to sounds of nearing footsteps.

 

Of course it all went away when the person behind the door was revealed to be... “Yura?” I questioned.

 

“Hey Chanyeol!” Yura greeted me with a friendly hug then stood at the doorway. She seemed to check behind her before turning back to me “ Minhee is -”

 

“Here! I’m here, let’s go.” There, she showed up in a simple white laced top and dark denims. Minhee seemed to be in a hurry, almost as if she couldn’t wait to leave. She sure took me by surprise by pulling me along with her.

 

We were almost halfway down to my car when we heard, “Have fun you two!” Yura called from where she stood. Minhee naturally rolled her eyes and I took the lead to the car.

 

Once we were in and on the road,Minhee was looking at me again. It wasn’t weird at all, it was quite comforting to know she actually sees me. What fusses me is how I want so much to know what she thinks. And so I dared to ask, “ What’s on your mind?”

 

Minhee smiled in response and looked out the window, “ Nothing.” She said in her sweet toned voice. Even her lies sounded nice. What the hell.

 

“Oh come on, everyone has their own dirty little secrets.” I told her.

 

“Absolutely and I dare not share.” She replied in the most alluring tone. I was already at the edge of my seat and the date hasn't officially started yet. “So where are we headed to? Fancy restaurant? Aquarium? Movies?”

 

“Neither. Tonight, we are going to live a little.”  I told her as I shot her my award winning smile. I mean, I am known for being rich in teeth, why not flaunt it.


 

 

We parked on a one of many busy sidewalks. I sat in my seat confused for a moment. I heard Chanyeol chuckle upon seeing my expression. “This is it.” He said. “Seoul; The city that never sleeps.” I lived in Seoul my whole life, how could I not have known that it had such a title? Just then I realized how pathetic I was for having such limited exposure to the world through books. I guess I just needed more real life experiences. Now would be a great start.

 

Chanyeol hopped out first and helped me out. We lingered on the sidewalk for a few minutes while I intently scanned this totally new atmosphere. “What’s all of this” I asked, seeing that there were so many places surrounding us and so many people to fill them in. The place was literally buzzing with people as the lively lights on the signs attracted them into this area.

 

He shook his head at my innocence. “ Welcome to the nightlife in Seoul, Minhee. I did say we were going to live a little.” He extended his hand to me, it was for me to take. It was taken definitely with hesitation because I was a bit shy. It’s not like I’ve ever held hands with a guy before besides during school activities at school but this was totally different, I didn’t have to follow the stupid classroom rules. I was breaking my own rules tonight and going for it.

 

We walked the streets hand in hand, absolutely looking like a couple. We totally blended in with the crowd we followed. There was so much to do and so much to see. Aspiring musicians were stationed at every corner, food vendors at our left and right, and stores everywhere. I could see why Chanyeol took me here, He didn’t have to spend so much money just so that we could sit all night and have small talk. In fact, we could do so much together and enjoy each other's company here. Good one, Park Chanyeol, I’m very impressed.

 

We passed a small elderly lady with a cart full of an assortment of hair clip designs. My eyes for them were quite uncontrollable, I just couldn’t help myself so I walked over and gave the lady a smile before checking out the fascinating collection. One particularly got my attention.

 

The design on this one was of the shape of a butterfly. It’s wings were studded entirely of precious gems. The design was overlayed with amethyst and contrasted with an outline of aquamarine stones. Too beautiful for words. Before I could even hold it in my hands, Chanyeol came running.

“There you are. I thought I lost you back there...I’m glad you’re okay.” He said.

 

“I’m sorry. I just-”

 

“It’s okay. Are you hungry?” He asked. I nodded and took his hand once again as he lead us out of the crowd and far away from the clip.

 

Chanyeol bought us a variety of deep fried ‘street food’ as we progressed through the night, food that I either had never thought existed or had forgotten they even existed. Who knew that the foods that made your breath reek, would end up tasting as if it were made entirely in heaven.

 

So much was done in one night, from dancing to the sweet tunes of an ahjussi and his guitar to partaking in some games. If this was living a little, what was it like to live like there was tomorrow...with Chanyeol? Now, that I was willing to give a shot.

 

We ended up by a grand fountain that was beautifully lit with light colors. Chanyeol and I decided to rest take a seat on the concrete edge. I watched the fountain water’s view for the time being until I was ready to look back at Chanyeol but he too was watching the water when I finally faced him.

 

“Want me to let you in on one of my dirty little secrets?” I asked Chanyeol then his attention was now to me.

 

“I thought you weren’t willing to share.” He said.

 

“Well one can change their mind.” I half smiled.

“Alright then. Go.”

 

“Back in the car... I was thinking about how handsome you look tonight.” I said shyly. I tucked a hair behind my ear and looked down, feeling embarrassed. But then I felt stupid again. I should’ve just told him that I like him! Goddammit! Then again, maybe I don’t need to, isn’t it quite obvious?

 

“I knew it wasn’t just nothing.” He said.

 

After that, we walked back to the truck after a long night. The car ride was silent as we were both tired.

 

“This is it.” I said cheerlessly as Chanyeol pulled up in front of my house. I hated this feeling very much. Farewells don’t do me any good. I had even hated to even think of saying bye, just for a night.

“Thank you. It was a very fun first date.” I glanced over at him. But Chanyeol just sat there and stared straight ahead.

 

I turned to the door and put a hand on the handle for the door when I felt his hand on my arm. “Wait.” He said. Chanyeol looked at me before leaning in closer and closer... Is this it? Shall I bid my lips farewell? I thought.

 

I closed my eyes and stayed still awaiting the capture but that was until I felt his warm lips on my forehead. “Goodnight, Minhee.” He said. Then I watched him go.

 

Later, I was greeted by my neighbor whom I’d spend almost my whole life growing up with, he was standing firm on my porch. “Minhyuk?”

 

“Who was that?” He asked very tensely.

 

“He’s a friend.” I said.

 

“It doesn’t look that way to me.” Minhyuk glared at the empty spot where Chanyeol’s truck had been previously parked.

 

“Yeah? Well take my word for it. Goodnight, Minhyuk. I’ll see you around.” I said before continuing inside and leaving him outside.


That strange encounter was soon forgotten as I remember how perfect my first date had gone and how I was falling deeper and deeper for a man who seemed to always show me the brighter things in life.