~14 Finale Pt.2

Barricades of the Heart

If I could just close my eyes and bid this nightmare away into ultimate non - existence,  I would. If I could have Hyunwoo back and hug him securely in my arms, dear god, I would.

The skies were longer a pasty shade of blue; instead , a washed out kind of grey. I took a hesitant glance at the rear view mirror as I sped out of the school’s parking lot, Chanyeol was still there crouched towards the cemented ground. 'Helpless' is how the man felt; however, I understood the word all too well. Turning around to get him was no longer an option. Keep moving forward, was what I had to tell myself.

My phone soon buzzed and there upon the rectangular lit screen was the address. I transferred the address to the navigation system facilely and listened carefully for directions. Hopefully  I was progressing and headed the right direction.

The directions  led me through the highly populated downtown and down the map to a more deserted area. Surrounding buildings lessened in count  and the smell of gasoline diffused from the air. I has taken to an abandoned parking garage; totally desolate where some of the aged cement had already cracked.

Great… it could've been a trap for all I knew.

I saw four black SUV’s parked in the very back  and about five men waiting beside them. I stopped the car as one of them; the tallest of the five, approached my vehicle. The others stood still in an upward stance upon my arrival. They began to whisper amongst themselves when the tall guy came to me. At this time, I was hoping that I had remembered to lock the doors. I froze, a bit afraid of these men so I just sat still and watched as he came closer. The man knocked on my fairly tinted window. I assumed that he wanted to talk so I rolled them down slowly and cautiously.

A sudden gust of warm air slapped me in the face.The place smelled of cigarette and saw dust. Before I knew it I was looking up at the scary stranger and he leaned in about five inches closer to speak to me. However, before doing so, he peeked over my shoulders to check if I had brought company. Upon seeing an empty vehicle, he proceeded.

“Are you Kim Minhee?” The man asked discreetly. I noticed that he had a hook shaped scar under his eye which made me all the more scared than I already was.

This could be it. I told myself. This could be the man to take my life.

“Yes.” I said slightly trembling in my seat.

“Get out of the car.” He ordered. I clutched the steering wheel tightly and looked back up at him.

“I believe that this was not a part of the deal.  I’ve come to get my son and get the hell out of here.” I told him. I don't know where the sudden courage came from, but thank god it did.

“Look lady, nobody said that you were getting away. Now get out of the car!” He said loudly. I jumped upon hearing him yell, So I unbuckled my seatbelt and hesitantly stepped out of the vehicle. I closed the door behind me and put my hands up as if I were caught red handed of a guilty crime. But this was totally opposite.

Later the only guys left was scarface, the fat one,  and the bimbo holding my wrists. The rest went out to stand guard.

One of the guys came behind me and tied up my hands with a thick, coarse rope. His expressionless face made it seem like he was just doing his job. However, because he knew what he was doing , he most likely   had done it several times prior to today. Not a good feeling. I wasn’t quite sure how he managed to tie it so tightly as I struggled profusely.

“That hurts!” I yelled. The man only chuckled at my complaint. "Jerk."

I was played; cheated; like a jack and a king in a game of poker.  No one could understand how angry and anxious I was right then.

“Boss has got some good eyes for the ladies.” This time the short and chunky one spoke, eyeing me like a shiny new car.

“Let me ask you this, where is my child? I want to see him.” I gritted through my teeth and stared at all of them.

“Your boy is safe. He’s with the boss.” Scar face said. Like that's reassuring enough.

“Then where is your damn boss? Hiding? Cowardly, isn’t he? He needs a little swat team of scary men to do his dirty work.”

“Quite a mouth she’s got too.” The chunky one spoke again.

“I wouldn’t talk if I were you. Unless you want a rope to the mouth too.” The man behind me threatened as he tightened the rope slightly , causing me to wince at the pain. The blood flow in my wrists were restricting and they soon began to throb.

“It’s true isn’t it? That’s why he isn’t here? If you’re planning to kill me, let me see my son first but don't hurt him.” I said. It was so hot in the garage that sweat began to drip from different parts of my body. My breaths soon began to quicken in pace.

Suddenly a door of one of the cars opened and out came a familiar figure. He hopped out carrying an unconscious Hyunwoo. I hoped that he was only sleeping, otherwise…I wouldn’t know what to do; most likely the unthinkable. I'd probably try to kick this behind me in his most sensitive spot and then go on some crazy rage and probably get myself killed somehow.

“Minhyuk?” I squinted hoping that I was right. As soon as I confirmed that it indeed was him, I called for him again. “ Minhyuk! Is he okay? How? What are you doing here? Did they hurt you guys?” I asked from where I stood. Suddenly all five of the men burst in laughter, which left me confused by their actions. I don’t get it. I felt like they were mocking me when I was only expressing my utmost concern.

They just kept laughing and I was getting pissed. Hyunwoo started to fuss and eventually lifted his head, awoken by the loudness of the room. I felt relief for that second, to know that he was only asleep earlier and that he was still breathing.

But he was scared. He looked around and found me ,his mother, tied up by a bad guy. "Mommy?" He called for me.

"My baby..." I said.

Without warning and with the lift of Minhyuk’s hand,  the men stopped laughing abruptly. I looked at him and then he looked at me. It took a while to process in my head and when Minhyuk figured that it finally had gotten to me, he smirked menacingly to my disgust.

He was suddenly recognizable. It was as if the Minhyuk I've know for almost my whole life was gone...

“Sorry about that Boss, we just couldn’t help it.” The man behind me spoke.

“Y-You’re their….”

“Correct. The 'cowardly' boss.” He said before I could even finish stuttering my sentence.

“But why?” I asked. Minhyuk snapped his fingers and same tall guy came forward. Minhyuk turned towards him and handed Hyunwoo to him.

"Watch him for a sec will you?" Minhyuk told him. However, because Hyunwoo knew better than to go to strangers, he cried and kicked until the man had no choice but to put him down.

"Mommy!" The boy cried as he came running to me. I dropped to my knees to level with my son and cried with him. He hugged me by the neck and I just wanted to hold him so bad; to hug him back but I couldn't. The damn rope was tightly secured around my wrists.

"Hyunwoo-ya. I need you to stop crying okay? Mommy will get us out of here." I assured him.

“HA!" Minhyuk sounded loudly. "Do you think I'd let you get away that easily? You're mine now." He decided. I moved in front of Hyunwoo and let him hide behind me.

"What exactly do you want?!" I snapped.

"I said YOU didn't I?" He started to pace around. "And the kid." He pointed at Hyunwoo.

"To do what? Kill us? Have you any mercy?" I spoke again. Minhyuk came closer until he was towering me . He lifted my chin with his thumb so that I could look up at him. He later motioned for the man to go.

"Start the car and wait outside." He ordered. As soon as he went to fulfil his duty, The fat one followed. Minhyuk brought his attention back to me. "Dear Minhee, I love you and Hyunwoo too much. Why in the world would I do that?" He caressed my cheek with the back of my finger but I turned away from his touch feeling disgusted.

"Papa Minhyuk?" Hyunwoo spoke.

"Yes, son?"

"Don't call him that!" I yelled. Hyunwoo got frightened by the tone of my voice and tried to hide behind me.

"Why not? When we're married, he'll have every reason to call me daddy. Isn't that why you agreed to marry me in the first place? So that our precious Hyunwoo could have a father figure? " Minhyuk began to pace around us and made his way to the boy but Hyunwoo went to the other side of me to hide from the monster he saw in Minhyuk.

"Aw come on, Hyunwoo. Don't be scared of papa. I love you." Everytime, Minhyuk talked like that, I just wanted to spit in his face.

"I'd rather die than marry you. If you love us then let us go.  " I told him.

"Now that's too bad. You see, I have two passports ready for you and and Hyunwoo. Tomorrow we'll fly to Beijing and start a new. If your dear soldier dares come looking for you, he can expect a bullet to the heart, you hear? He won't be able to find you now. "

"Is that a dare? Because that's a risk I'm willing to take. " A deep, husky voice echoed from the entrance of the garage.

Minhyuk stood up and the dude with the scar come next to him.

"How..." He asked.

"Weak security." Chanyeol shrugged casually. I take it that Minhyuk's men were not nearly as skilled as Chanyeol in terms of fighting or wit. "And technically I'm  a trained killer."

While the men were distracted by Chanyeol's rather anticipated entrance, I took the time to talk to Hyunwoo. "Hyunwoo." I quietly called his name. He popped his head up giving me his full attention.  "When I say go, you run to your father. Do you hear me?"  It seemed to have slipped but I guess it was the right time anyway. Hyunwoo needed to know in whose arms he belonged, and that was in Chanyeol's.

"Wh-what?"

"Don't ask questions, you just need run to Chanyeol as fast as you can when I tell you to." I ordered.

Chanyeol began to walk forward going further into the garage. "Come any closer and I'll have you shot." Minhyuk warned. The scar faced jerk was already standing in his stance with loaded colt in his hands.

Chanyeol stopped and put his hands up. "Okay" he said, looking directly back at Minhyuk.

"GO." I ordered and I didn't have to say it twice. The child picked himself up as he was told and ran for his life.

I was in the midst of an irritating exchange of glares with the crazy fellow who dared tie up the woman he claims to love when I heard the word..."daddy" come out of Hyunwoo's mouth. My eyes immediately focused on the boy and I suddenly felt like pudding, so soft and unsturdy. I wanted to fall down and hear him say it again.

"Daddy!" Hyunwoo yelled as his little figure ran to me and then around to hide behind me. I patted his back with my arm with assurance and then averted my attention back to Minhyuk. Hyunwoo's warmness could be felt behind my left leg, in which he clung onto for his dear life. Minhee was still kneeled on the floor with her hands tied behind her back.

"Unacceptable." Minhyuk declared as he shook his head in disappointment. From about ten feet away, I saw his unpleased face very clearly. He began to turn his back to us and spoke again. “I see my plans turning askew and that is because of you. It’s always because of you!” He snapped. We all saw him reach for his pocket, there was no doubt that the man himself, was armed.

"Just so you know, whether you kill me or not. The cops are on their way." I informed him.

"Oh? Is that so?" Suddenly he turned around and fired his gun, luckily he missed. Hyunwoo was crying now and scared for his life.

“No! Minhyuk stop!” Minhee yelled.

Minhyuk was ready to try again when I lodged one right above his left shoulder blade. He soon fell to the ground;  limp and motionless.

I took Hyunwoo by the hand and we rushed over to Minhee.

Yes. It’s over. I thought as Chanyeol untied the rope that bound my hands together. I could only look at my son, then. How scared he looked; how traumatized and innocent he could have been.

“I’m sorry.” Was all that I could say as they kneeled down to hug me.  Hyunwoo was between us, hugging my waist.

“No. Hush. We’re all okay.” Chanyeol spoke as I sobbed into his shoulders.

As I lifted my head off his shoulder, I saw something terrifying.

“NO!” I yelled and  forcefully pushed my boys aside. Before I knew it, I was laying on cold the ground.  It was dizzying as I saw a bunch of feet running towards Minhyuk. I figured the police finally came when I heard Cuffs being clutched.

Soon everything was blurring and my ears were ringing until I heard the sound of Chanyeol’s voice.  

“Why Minhee? Why did you take the bullet?” He sobbed.

“I’ve always wanted to save a life.” I smiled faintly, trying to keep my consciousness but it felt like i was fading.

“Mommy!” My dear Hyunwoo cried. I was afraid that it would be the last that I’d hear him call me.

“Darling…” I croaked as I caressed his wet face.

“Minhee, the ambulance is here. We’re going to get you to a hospital and you’ll be okay.” He said. “You’ll be fine.” Chanyeol repeated  in tears. I nodded in response and let sleep get to me.

...

2 years later

I awoke from my bed one morning and odd enough, the house was strangely silent. The television wasn’t on and neither was there a sound of either Chanyeol or Hyunwoo’s laughter. Just then, I realized that there were red petals all over the bed and a trail leading out the door of the bedroom. It was our bedroom now that I’ve moved in next door to Chanyeol’s.

I followed the trail of petals that led all the way to the kitchen table where I found a small gold box. I slowly opened it and in it was the same blue clip I knew that Chanyeol kept with him. Under the clip was a note that read, “ Here is ‘something blue’ that I hope to see you wear on the big day...Meet us in the lobby.

What in the world? I had the slightest idea as to what he meant but I went with it and proceeded.

The elevator opened and revealed by two best friends! “Baekhyun? Yura?”  I said as I got in.

“Oh god, you seriously look like you just got out of bed.” Yura pointed out, but that was totally like her.

“Oh yeah? And you look pregnant!” I said non offensively because she really did look pregnant.

“Hehe! Surprise! Wait...no…this isn’t the surprise though but yeah!” She said when Baekhyun covered .

“Shh! You’ll ruin it!” He hushed. I gave them ‘the look’ and eyed them suspiciously.

“What’s going on?” I asked as the elevator doors suddenly opened.

“Looks like you’re going to find out right now.” Yura said excitedly. They walked behind me as I stepped out and wandered towards the lobby.

And there… I saw my two boys in the middle. Chanyeol was carrying Hyunwoo in one arm and roses in the other. As I approached them, I noticed that Hyunwoo was holding something in particular; something silver…

“Wear it mommy!” Hyunwoo said as he held it out to me. I took it and looked at Chanyeol. Just then. Chanyeol put Hyunwoo down and knelt on one knee, and then I knew..

“Will you marry me, Minhee?” He proposed. I put the ring on myself and watched it glisten.

“Yes! A million times yes, Chanyeol!” I said nodding like crazy. He stood up and hugged me tightly like it was the first time in years. Talk about tough love, destiny has brought us here today and just like that life is only going to get better from here.

 

The End


A/N 

Sorry for the long wait! But the end has finally come! Thank you for following this Chanhee fic! I truly appreciate it!