~04

Barricades of the Heart

Night had already taken place  as I sat up on my bed thinking..

 

Essence was key. Time was soon to be my enemy for it was passing too quickly. I had no choice but to live in the moment in order to feel more distant from the future.

 

Pretty soon Minhee and I had gone on another date, then another, and another even some with Baekhyun and Yura... Those days seemed countless. Eventually she had officially been mine after two weeks of seeing each other. As Minhee’s significance grew, I could only think of ways to say goodbye. Seeing the way she’d behave every time we’d part, I figured that it would be hard and knowing that I’d have to do it soon killed me.

 

Could I hate myself any more? I sighed deeply in thought.

 

“Go to sleep.” Baekhyun grumbled under his pillow. I Ignored his command and continued as is.

 

 

“Chanyeol.” Minhee said as she rested her head on my chest. She laid beside me in the grass of this neighborhood park.

 

“Hm?” I sounded, intertwining my fingers with hers. Eventually she lifted her  head so that her chin was now rested on my chest and she was looking at me with her distinct brown eyes.

 

“Since we’re getting a little more serious, I think It’s about time you’ve met my parents.” She said.

 

“Minhee, I don’t think that’s a great idea.” I suggested.

 

And here came the question I had been expecting, the good old, “Why not?”

 

“I-I can’t, I just.” I’m screwed, I’ve gone in too deep. “Okay, I’ll meet them. I’m just nervous.” I told her.  As much as it was a good idea, I just couldn’t bare face the parent’s of the girl I love knowing that I’d hurt her deeply one day. But that wasn’t the sad part. The sad part was that I’d eventually hurt Minhee.

 

She smiled at me, pleased, and I smiled back. “Don’t be afraid. They might be a little protective since you’d be the first guy I’d be bringing home. Give them a month or two, they’ll soften up.” She said. I let her rest her head again so that I didn’t have to look into her eyes as I deceived her once again.

 

“I hope so.” I uttered then kissed her head lightly and closed my eyes, relinquishing my soul to the serene ambiance. The warm breeze  brushed through our faces as we continue to lay in eachothers arms under the presently dimming sky. “We can stay like this forever and the time wouldn’t stand a chance. ” I said followed by a sigh.

 

 

My mother and father were back in town and having known that I invited Chanyeol to dinner at my house. Though it was a little risky since my parents weren’t used to me being around guys, I still pushed through with the plan.

 

I sat myself on the lower steps of the staircase thinking whether or not tonight would be a disaster but somehow I could only have pessimistic thoughts.

 

Dad was sitting on the sofa reading some magazine and my mother was in the kitchen when the doorbell rang.

 

“I’ll get it!” I called, already making my way to the door. As expected, it was no other than the handsome giant. He was dressed nicer than his usual large white t-shirt and jeans.


...

 

“So Chanyeol, what do your parents do?” My dad asked as soon as we were all settled and seated around the long dining table. He sat at the very end of the table which he claims to be the ‘king seat’ and my mother at his side. Chanyeol took the other seat on his side and I stationed myself next to him.

 

My mother decided on Salmon as the main course again, how predictable. She insisted on cooking this time instead of the maids.

 

“I’m not in touch with them so I haven’t got a clue.” Chanyeol answered coolly. I had to keep an eye on everyone and make sure everything went fine. But I had to keep an eye especially on my dad since he has the tendency to speak his mind without consideration.

 

“I’m sorry to hear that. Have you chosen a college to attend this fall?” He asked Chanyeol.

“No Sir. I won’t be attending one soon.” Chanyeol’s honesty can sometimes be a bad thing but this boy has no shame.

 

“Is that so?” My father said. I could tell that my father was slightly let down.   “Do you do any sports?” I don’t like  where this is going.

 

“I’m afraid not, Sir but I help run a repair shop.” Chanyeol said. My father was started to shake his head. He was unpleased.

 

And this is where I in. “That’s okay, dad. You see, Chanyeol is as good as a professional engineer. One of the best.” I gave Chanyeol a slight smile with a hint of shame.

 

“Hmph. No ambition.” He muttered under his breath. My father turned away and kept it that way.

 

“Yeobeo!” My mom said. She looked up at Chanyeol, clasping her fingers together and her hands on her lap. “What he’s trying to say is, it seems as though you haven’t had your future planned out yet. How will we know if you’re right for our daughter? Don’t get me wrong, you’re a nice man but our Minhee needs someone who can potentially support her one day and I’m not talking about emotional support.”

 

“Mom-” No no no no... It wasn’t supposed to be this way!

 

“No, I understand. Thank you for the dinner.” Chanyeol cut me off then he bowed to both of my parents who wouldn’t dare look at him. I was surprised that he was able to keep calm as my parents totally ruined the night.  “I will take my leave.” He said before he made his way to fetch his shoes and leave.

 

“Chanyeol wait!” I called.

 

“Let him be.” I heard my mother say. I turned around and stared at my parents in pure disgust. I shook my head as I slowly backed away then ran out to find my boyfriend.

 

 

Chanyeol,wait!” She yelled. Minhee kept calling for me as I continued to walk away. Whenever she called my name it was like I was getting stabbed by jagged knives one by one in the heart. It was just as painful. “If this is about my parents, I’ll talk to them! I’ll just-” She said.

 

No. I stopped  then. I closed my eyes as I took in a deep breath. I kept from facing her so it was my back that Minhee spoke to.

 

“Let’s just stop. I can’t do this anymore.” I said outloud. I pursed my lips as if to contained myself from breaking down on the spot.

 

“What do you mean?” There was a tremble in her voice.  I turned around slowly to face her. Even if it would be difficult, I just had to. Minhee stared at me. Her wet face sparkled under the moonlight and her eyes into upside down crescents. Even though I managed to maintain a solid expression, I was weak.

 

She then came towards me and hit me on my chest repeatedly but it didn’t phase me. Nothing hurt anymore. “Say something, you jerk! What do you mean!” She yelled as the hits came simultaneously.

 

“Minhee, stop.” I told her. Tears continuously streamed from her face and it wouldn’t stop.  I grabbed her lightly on the shoulders to distance her from me but she still kept hitting though they grew weaker than the first few.“Minhee, stop!” I repeated with a raised voice this time.

 

She jumped in surprise and snapped out of it. Minhee was still in my hold and now had my attention. “Can’t you see? We can’t be together. You heard them.” I motioned towards the house, “and if you stay with me, you’ll only get hurt.”

 

I was already pulling away because I knew that the longer I stayed, the harder it would before me to say goodbye. “We can work things out, Chanyeol, please!” She cried, holding my arm. But I pulled away in rejection. I’m sorry, my dear. If only you knew the real reason why I'm doing this.

 

“Goodbye.” I said before leaving her there and heading back to my pickup truck. As I got in, I slammed my fist against the steering wheel in anger. Minhee doesn't know and she doesn't understand. Everything that happened in the past weeks would have to be forgotten as I prepared to leave. I sighed then started the engine to drive off without looking back. It's better this way. 

 

 

Here I am on my concrete driveway and I have no idea when I dropped to my knees. All I know is that,

 

I’m broken.